Madison

we just need a solution going forward that strongly encourages obtaining all the rights needed including synch rights.

The slippery slope of not taking action could, in the future, lead to an entire corps performance not being able to be viewed on the DVD.

I agree with this 100%

Well then... I still keep my opinion... I believe that too many people claim that something is their "Intellectual property." And if it is such a huge risk... why are they making all of this profit (yes, I'm not that naive, and know that profit is not always the case). I just feel like when it comes to art.. there should be one right holder who can make all the decisions about that artwork. I would say that it should be the original artist, or composer, or performer. Depending on the situation, since nowadays singers are not songwriters. I'm no law writer so I'm not going to get into specifics, or try to figure out how it would actually work, but do you get what I think it should sort of be like. Yes.. everyone involved should get some piece of the pie... but not complete control over that piece. I just feel that what the original composer/artist/performer wants get's lost in between the 10 producers who want a piece of the soundtrack recording, and the other 10 producers who want a piece out the music video, and then the other 10 producers who want a piece of live performances.

I'ma ll for protecting intellectual property. But I think it is a far stretch for some to say it is their intellectual property.

Basically... I think we need copyright law reform... but there are far more important issues congress needs to deal with right now...

:blink: Obviously you've not had anyone steal your intellectual property and profit from it.

In capitalism risk=profit if successful. Risk=epic fail when things don't go well. How many artists get produced and distributed and fail? How many one-hit wonders get investment they shouldn't? Do you go pay them for an album you don't want because you want to support the artist?

The Broadway strike a few years back was another example. The union wanted more money because they argued the producers were making too much money. But what they weren't willing to do was participate in the risk and not get paid if the show flopped and the producers lost their behinds. How is that fair?

The Chinese don't respect intellectual property and have stolen much technology and product creation information. They now produce products and knock-offs and have undermined many companies. They steal it because no one there creates it because no one there respects it. Why spend your time and talent doing something someone will steal and not face penalty? Our copyright laws are just fine.

I respect the artists AND the investors who invest in them. Without the investment they just strum a guitar on a street corner and YOU would never hear ESOM (unless you were on that street corner)

Edited by Wadep66
  • Like 1

Funny thing about that: Disney sued a middle school in my district several years ago because the band director copied music to give to kids. It was not a huge deal, and Disney didn't "take" any money from the district/individual; but they changed their ways and to this day even though there is a different director now at that school they still hand out all originals to the kids!

So, yeah, you never know who's watching and when they'll speak up!

Disney doesn't play around. But why should they? Most of their business is based on ideas, experiences, and entertainment. I've heard of them shutting down quite a few productions of shows which didn't secure proper permissions or rights. They didn't take them to the cleaners, but they did protect their property.

Disney doesn't play around. But why should they? Most of their business is based on ideas, experiences, and entertainment.

...usually derived from others' work.

(

on Disney and history of copyright. And this look at copyright weirdness amusingly deals with a Jay-Z tune. Neither bears directly on the Madison Scouts situation, but both are quite interesting.)

• 4 weeks later...