JD Shaw steps down as Phantom Regiment brass arranger?

Phantom Regiment seems to be the Godfather of drum corps from an admin/staff perspective...Especially given those who actually control the corps.

I'd certainly hope two adults could run an ensemble rehearsal professionally, by the way. That doesn't mean anything with regards to their personal relationship. Nor does it say anything about them as individuals.

PR is a troubled corps. Beloved, yes. But troubled.

But from what I'm told, they really don't, especially when the public isn't around. I suppose that's all a matter of opinion, but screaming at and berating the kids for mistakes isn't the "professional" way to run a drum corps. Nor is making a member stand out in the rain for two hairs straight holding up a horn for letting a laugh slip out during rehearsal.

Take the Cavaliers' mentality: They treat the kids as absolute professionals. They expect hard work and they get it, but they don't tear someone down in the process. Flip all of that upside down and you get a "bad day" at Phantom Regiment rehearsal. Some call the Cavies a part of Drum Corps Country Club. I call it common decency towards some very committed and talented individuals.

I suppose that makes me "soft" to some people. I've had dear friends march in both corps, and they both seem partial to their own system...but when I hear how Phantom works when there aren't public eyes around compared to the Cavaliers, it just makes me sad. I'm all for discipline and hard work, but there's still a right way and a wrong way to do that, IMO.

• Like 5

But from what I'm told, they really don't, especially when the public isn't around. I suppose that's all a matter of opinion, but screaming at and berating the kids for mistakes isn't the "professional" way to run a drum corps. Nor is making a member stand out in the rain for two hairs straight holding up a horn for letting a laugh slip out during rehearsal.

Take the Cavaliers' mentality: They treat the kids as absolute professionals. They expect hard work and they get it, but they don't tear someone down in the process. Flip all of that upside down and you get a "bad day" at Phantom Regiment rehearsal. Some call the Cavies a part of Drum Corps Country Club. I call it common decency towards some very committed and talented individuals.

I suppose that makes me "soft" to some people. I've had dear friends march in both corps, and they both seem partial to their own system...but when I hear how Phantom works when there aren't public eyes around compared to the Cavaliers, it just makes me sad. I'm all for discipline and hard work, but there's still a right way and a wrong way to do that, IMO.

If Phantom Regiment were to restrict their membership to only legal adults, this would be fine and dandy.

But because they don't, it really is just sad. There is a difference between lighting a fire under someone being forceful in the approach and being downright counter productive.

I've heard the same thing about Phantom. To include the removal of the public so that the staff COULD go nuts on the members.

EDIT: Kids keep wanting to march Phantom, though. So it must work for the majority of the membership.

Edited by DrillmanSop06

Feagin never arranged for SCV. Those were Key Poulan arrangements, with Feagin as caption head. For what its worth, I think SCV should be doing everything within their power to get him back.

Andre left by his own decision to run his own band program at UTEP. He didn't get fired or anything. He just left to do other things. I could see him returning at since point, when he's ready to do so. He was a great caption head though, and an amazing guy

There was a video on Phantom's site at one time, as well as their FACEBOOK page - by their videographer in 2010 that showed a staff member literally screaming, throwing his hat/shirt down with veins popping out of his neck literally stating that: "It can't be that hard to count...." I have seen this with my own eyes/ears in 2008 with the same person. I thought it was demoralizing and, to think a kid pays $2000 dollars for that screaming by an adult? Gee, go into the Marines and you'll get it every day for free! I don't condone that behavior, and I found it so ironic that some of PR's BOD were actually on tour at this same time and may have seen/heard these incidents and nothing was said or done? Maybe it was told to them out of view/earshot of mere bystanders, but none the less, I would not stand for that by ANY staff member!

I have never heard JD Shaw or Paul Renninck scream or intimidate or demean any member, but a few of the visual staff........ that's a different story! Funny, I invited former Marines to Flemington NJ to watch PR's rehearsalbefore DCI East in 2008, and this one incident occured where a vis staff member was involved, where there was screaming at full volume while the corps was at parade rest awaiting field comments and my friend (a woman, 35 year USMC veteran) looked at me and said: "Was he a Marine?....... the people in charge let the instructors scream at the kids like that?... Really?" Then, the kid was called out while everyone watched and made to run two laps around the track as rehearsal ensured. I couldn't even reply.

But, as I said, I have no knowledge of what the inner workings are/were/will be of Regiment, or why things are as they are, have been etc. ........ only an observation of some bystanders that were with me, and was I embarrassed!

Umm This is the biggest pile of crap Ive read on here in a while. In my couple years marching Phantom Ive never once seen this, or heard Paul or JD berate ANYONE!. Now, if we are talking about another section, I am sorry for my confusion. But the 2 instructors this whole conversation has been about have been nothing but amazing in and out of rehearsal.

• Like 2

There was a time that type of “instruction” was quite common. I remember a well known horn instructor would smack us on our calves with a metal interval stick. Verbal abuse was also common. Personally I don’t think this type of instruction is productive and I’m glad it’s disappearing from the activity.

• Like 1

Gotta say...I marched PR for three years and never once had anyone yell at me. I enjoyed every minute. As to the reason JD left...all of this discussion is just speculation for entertainment purposes. Only he and a few others know the true reason and I'm sure they wouldn't want that discussed on a public forum. I am not an insider by any means and do not know myself, but am concerned about the impressions of the corps that some posters are leaving. While I believe those that say incidents might have occurred, I do not believe it is the norm. Otherwise, why would kids be beating down their door to march? A bad reputation will follow you. A good program will draw you. Onto the 'management'. I agree with the poster that said it seems to be the "Godfather" of drum corps mangement. Some shake-ups would be a breath of fresh air, but only if the new folks knew of the history, pride, and traditions that go along with PR. That said, an alum might make the best choice, but I don't have any suggestions! I'm sure the Regiment will remain true to who they are and will hire a wonderful new brass arranger. SUTA!

• Like 3

Oh, and i forgot to mention.............. I sensed this coming as soon as Regiment hired Ryan Raybee (??) as Caption Head. Then they posted a video w/Ryan talking about his personal perspective of brass performance & how he admired JD for what he 'has done' with Regiment and nothing he could do would/could detract from that and that "JD Shaw will always have an impact on the hornline". That to me said right there --- is this his last year (referring to JD)?

Didn't think much of it until I watched countless 2010 video of regiment and didn't see him on tour until like 2011, a week or so before finals. Just thoughts I forgot to include in the original post.

Trisha, Are you from the Scranton area?

Edited by AZKK