JD Shaw steps down as Phantom Regiment brass arranger?

I have heard of other staff leaving for how kids are treated. Having endured John Brazale I can say that they are no where near as hard on kids as what we went through. Then again we weren't a bunch of pamper Sissy's. In fact, as hard as John was, he also had great moments with each of us. It wasn't personal. He carried that intensity with the judges as well.

I'm not suggesting it's right but that it's really not that big a deal. On the flip side I know a corp today that (IMO) aren't hard enough when they need to be. That might be the difference with being in the upper echelon of corps and not making finals.

As far as JD leaving, when he started his new career in New Mexico I knew that was the beginning of the end.

• Like 2

As long as they keep those bad ### mello lines, they'll be fine in my opinion.

• Like 1

Umm This is the biggest pile of crap Ive read on here in a while. In my couple years marching Phantom Ive never once seen this, or heard Paul or JD berate ANYONE!. Now, if we are talking about another section, I am sorry for my confusion. But the 2 instructors this whole conversation has been about have been nothing but amazing in and out of rehearsal.

I'm talking about the vis staff. And it's not a pile of crap, because some of it happened to a person I'm very close to.

Paul and JD were probably fed up with it, for all I know.

After all, Paul went to SCV, which under Fiedler is treating their members like the Cavies do/did.

Ironically enough, a former member of Phantom who is now at SCV was complaining about that in front of me once. Said the staff is too "soft" and that's why SCV's brassline wasn't any good. rolleyes.gif

And I think most kids march Phantom in spite of the treatment and staffing issues because they like performing and like being in a corps that has the tradition of Regiment, especially with music when it comes to the hornline. That doesn't mean they like everything about the corps. Why not treat them better and maximize the positive experience?

• Like 2

Gotta say...I marched PR for three years and never once had anyone yell at me. I enjoyed every minute. As to the reason JD left...all of this discussion is just speculation for entertainment purposes. Only he and a few others know the true reason and I'm sure they wouldn't want that discussed on a public forum. I am not an insider by any means and do not know myself, but am concerned about the impressions of the corps that some posters are leaving. While I believe those that say incidents might have occurred, I do not believe it is the norm. Otherwise, why would kids be beating down their door to march? A bad reputation will follow you. A good program will draw you. Onto the 'management'. I agree with the poster that said it seems to be the "Godfather" of drum corps mangement. Some shake-ups would be a breath of fresh air, but only if the new folks knew of the history, pride, and traditions that go along with PR. That said, an alum might make the best choice, but I don't have any suggestions! I'm sure the Regiment will remain true to who they are and will hire a wonderful new brass arranger. SUTA!

What years did you march?

I'm talking about recent years with the current visual staff. 2010, if we want hard dates.

What years did you march?

I'm talking about recent years with the current visual staff. 2010, if we want hard dates.

Considering how new his account is and how few posts he has, I'm going to guess that's a troll. Don't be a feeder.

Edited by Vanguard07

20090430_151352_derail.jpg
  • Like 7

Gotta say...I marched PR for three years and never once had anyone yell at me. I enjoyed every minute. As to the reason JD left...all of this discussion is just speculation for entertainment purposes. Only he and a few others know the true reason and I'm sure they wouldn't want that discussed on a public forum. I am not an insider by any means and do not know myself, but am concerned about the impressions of the corps that some posters are leaving. While I believe those that say incidents might have occurred, I do not believe it is the norm. Otherwise, why would kids be beating down their door to march? A bad reputation will follow you. A good program will draw you. Onto the 'management'. I agree with the poster that said it seems to be the "Godfather" of drum corps mangement. Some shake-ups would be a breath of fresh air, but only if the new folks knew of the history, pride, and traditions that go along with PR. That said, an alum might make the best choice, but I don't have any suggestions! I'm sure the Regiment will remain true to who they are and will hire a wonderful new brass arranger. SUTA!

Because it's THE Phantom Regiment. And when you're a die-hard Phan bent on marching THE Phantom Regiment, you don't care or know enough to care about the minutia of one kind of rehearsal. And when you audition, you aren't shown that environment; you're shown that you are replaceable and that you must give your absolute best or run the risk of fading to nothing. When you want to march THE Phantom Regiment, that's the last thing you want to happen at auditions.

A good summary:

A Phantom Regiment Member hates his summer when he is there, loves his summer when he is home.

The Cadets and Phantom Regiment spend a lot of time working changes to their show, working quirky hard to learn technique, and developing their very characteristic sounds. This sometimes isn't the most positive experience in the world, but the vast majority find it worthwhile when it is all said and done.

• Like 3

Perhaps moreso than other corps at their competitive tier. Unfortunate, really.

FALSE.

There is a lot of this, rampant in the top 12. Cadeveliers, SCV, everybody. The only difference is in the transparency of Regiment Nation.

Arguments like the ones talked about in this thread, are mummed, dull, whispered conversations between close friends, in other corps. There are a lot of longtime collaborators that genuinely HATE each other, amongst the greatest corps. The big difference is in how that fanbase/alumni react.

When your entire existence and excellence base is predicated on "emotion" it pervades itself from top to bottom, fanbase to staff.