JD Shaw steps down as Phantom Regiment brass arranger?

That was said to the ENTIRE corps and it was "and some of you are still effing fat"

Nobody was singled out. This was in the context of a whole conversation.

But does that really make it any better? Disrespect is still disrespect. It certainly doesn't mean that it was better teaching, either.

And btw, we got first in feet at quarters if i recall correctly. Just like Regiment did the year before. Recent trends for the visual caption do not apply to years ago. There are more factors for an underachieving visual performance than the caption head's teaching methods.

I actually didn't know that...thanks for the heads-up. My memory of that night is vastly different from the opinion of that judge, and some quick research supports my opinion, if I may say so (courtesy of fromthepressbox.com):

Quarters: PR 19.3 (1), Cavs 19.2 (2)

Semis: PR. 19.4 (3), Cavs 19.8 (1)

Finals: PR 19.4 (3), Cavs 19.9 (1)

With all due respect (since you were apparently on the field), I think it's pretty clear which one was the anomaly.

Edited by Room_101
  • Like 1

They've been 6th in horns for the past 3 years... sooooooo....

soooooo.... maintaining your spot in a rising tide is an accomplishment in and of itself.

soooooo.... maintaining your spot in a rising tide is an accomplishment in and of itself.

Sooooo... apparently you don't read the threads before you comment and quote things out of context...

The conversation had to do with a drop in performance level under the watch of the new caption head. The comment was made that their hornline had received 6th place this year. I was simply pointing out that they had placed 6th the two years prior as well.

Now... if you would've read the thread, I wouldn't have had to explain that.

You're welcom.

• Like 1

I'm talking about the vis staff. And it's not a pile of crap, because some of it happened to a person I'm very close to.

Did you even read my post? i added this little gem, "Now, if we are talking about another section, I am sorry for my confusion. But the 2 instructors this whole conversation has been about have been nothing but amazing in and out of rehearsal." No need to get all offensive...

Sooooo... apparently you don't read the threads before you comment and quote things out of context...

The conversation had to do with a drop in performance level under the watch of the new caption head. The comment was made that their hornline had received 6th place this year. I was simply pointing out that they had placed 6th the two years prior as well.

Now... if you would've read the thread, I wouldn't have had to explain that.

You're welcom.

Apparently I musunderstood your condescending tone to mean that they had failed to improve on their position. I stand corrected. (And you have no idea what I do or don't read, so take that....wherever it is that makes you happy.) :rock:

• Like 1

And for everyone, please correct me if Im wrong, but Im pretty sure Ryan has been the caption head for the past 2 years now.

• Like 1

Apparently I musunderstood your condescending tone to mean that they had failed to improve on their position. I stand corrected. (And you have no idea what I do or don't read, so take that....wherever it is that makes you happy.) :rock:

Perhaps you should reread your first post if you consider mine condescending. Also... perhaps I gave the the benefit of the doubt by assuming you hadn't read the thread. If you did read the thread and still couldn't understand the context, then you probably shouldn't post snide remarks.

I wish JD Shaw the best of luck at UNM. I would kill to get lessons from that guy, I'm jealous of anyone who gets to on a regular basis.

And about the staff yelling at the kids, it happens at every corps. If you're repping the same sets for two hours, and it's not improving, yeah, tensions will run high, and the staff will try and drill it into the kids heads by raising the voice. But it's a part of drum corps. You don't sign up to get babied, you sign up to be pushed harder than you've ever been pushed before, and come out a stronger human being than you were before. If you think that's wrong, you either didn't do it, or you have a really thin skin. You just learn to man up, and do your own job on each and every rep, and you won't get yelled at. (Unless the tick of the corps has the same build as you, then you get mistakenly yelled at. :tongue: ) Apparently someone has an axe to grind against PR, and that's sad. I love the corps, and the shows they put out. Best of luck to them next year, and every year.

• Like 3

And for everyone, please correct me if Im wrong, but Im pretty sure Ryan has been the caption head for the past 2 years now.

Nope, Ryan Bybee was definitely on the brass staff but JD Shaw was the caption head for the 2010 season: http://www.regiment....ory/staff10.cfm

2011 was Ryan's first year as brass caption head with PR.

• Like 1