JD Shaw steps down as Phantom Regiment brass arranger?

Yes the 2001 arranger was Michael Klesch...a man who arranges whole musical phrases and not just junk snippets.

I think (as in this is speculation and I'm not an insider at all) that part of the reason for Klesch and Regiment parting ways was that Regiment was beginning to no longer sound like Regiment.

That's an interesting comment. From a layperson like myself, I thought his arrangements were far more similar to Jim Wren than JD Shaw. That's no knock on any three of those guys, as I generally like most all of their stuff. The two years that Klesch wrote for PR were fantastic - I think 2000 PR is an underrated repertoire.

But from what I'm told, they really don't, especially when the public isn't around. I suppose that's all a matter of opinion, but screaming at and berating the kids for mistakes isn't the "professional" way to run a drum corps. Nor is making a member stand out in the rain for two hairs straight holding up a horn for letting a laugh slip out during rehearsal.

Take the Cavaliers' mentality: They treat the kids as absolute professionals. They expect hard work and they get it, but they don't tear someone down in the process. Flip all of that upside down and you get a "bad day" at Phantom Regiment rehearsal. Some call the Cavies a part of Drum Corps Country Club. I call it common decency towards some very committed and talented individuals.

I suppose that makes me "soft" to some people. I've had dear friends march in both corps, and they both seem partial to their own system...but when I hear how Phantom works when there aren't public eyes around compared to the Cavaliers, it just makes me sad. I'm all for discipline and hard work, but there's still a right way and a wrong way to do that, IMO.

You're entitled to your own opinion, but I'm really biting my tongue on what I want to say about your posts in this thread. It's obvious you don't understand why someone would march in PR vs. Cavies, and it sounds like you've got your mind set on the "Rosemont way" of Drum Corps.

• Like 3

You're entitled to your own opinion, but I'm really biting my tongue on what I want to say about your posts in this thread. It's obvious you don't understand why someone would march in PR vs. Cavies, and it sounds like you've got your mind set on the "Rosemont way" of Drum Corps.

I do understand why someone would march in PR. I'm related to someone who DID. And I went to high school under a director who marched several years with the Cavaliers. So I've heard plenty of talk/stories about both and how things went.

Being treated like #### isn't one of the reasons my relative marched PR. And it hasn't been with any of the other PR members I've met as a result of that connection. Being pushed hard WAS a reason, along with loving PR's music tradition. I get that. But as I said, getting pushed hard and being treated like crap aren't inseparable by any means.

And yeah, I am a fan of the "Rosemont way". My marching career began under a successful high school rendition of it, and my college band had a similar mentality. Are those the same as the actual system and in a summer of drum corps? No, of course not, but it certainly worked in those settings. And when the Cavaliers have fallen out of the top 3 ONE TIME in 13 seasons, I think it's safe to say it works for the Cavaliers too.

Explain to me how it wouldn't work with Regiment while still preserving all of their great tradition and attitude. I freely admit my evidence is anecdotal, but it was pretty consistently so.

Edited by PhantomCav
  • Like 1

I'm actually in the small minority of people who have marched both corps and I can say the two organizations are awesome. I have a really low tolerance for BS and while I didnt mind if a staff person chewed me out for "not getting it" - I would have shut things down fast if anyone had ever crossed the line. I never saw that happen in either organization, at least from the staff...from the marching members though :shutup:

...but I figure that's just taking ownership of the corps that you've poured blood, sweat, tears, and thousands of dollars into.

• Like 5

Hey, all I have to say is if the truth hurts, then do something else over the summer...and I consider myself "fat"! I don't understand why people don't understand the difference between disrespectful and being truthful given various scenarios. My high school band director called someone too fat to march from the box during rehearsal because they were fat. Granted he wasn't around much longer after that, but it was the reality...this person couldn't and wouldn't even try to get it together. Got their attention!!!

That's just disrespectful, regardless whether it was truthful or not. It's an educators job to educate, not humiliate. You can be truthful, and still have a shred of tact.

• Like 2

That's just disrespectful, regardless whether it was truthful or not. It's an educators job to educate, not humiliate. You can be truthful, and still have a shred of tact.

I'm glad someone here has some sense of what NOT to do when teaching! I just pray these guys never teach my kids.

I agree. Humiliation may work in the military, but it does not work as a teaching tool for young people.

• Like 2

they were much stronger visually than musically this year, their feet looked very good.

They have also scored VERY well visually from 05-08, when the emmerts took over.... 09 was just a pile of crap in design which didn't allow them to score well with really anything, and 2010 was ridonkulously difficult drill, which I think they handled pretty well (is 6th in vis performance for a 6th place corps really a weakness???

Ryan Bybee played the same role in 2010 as in 2011... the person who was supposed to be caption head (taylor criswell) resigned in the winter and Ryan took over. JD's involvement was about the same in 2010 as in 2011... maybe a little bit more. But yes, basically Ryan Bybee has been caption head the last 2 years...

I really can't believe that people who supposedly marched drum corps are so appalled at some of the comments that are made from staff... these are the sorts of things that, though perhaps serious at the time, kids laugh at down the road.... okay the emmerts can sound big and bad based on how these 'stories' are worded... I can bring about how the big bad vis instructor at crown chased a poor wittle kid all over the field with a hatchet threatening him not to mess up, or similar stories for cadets and other corps that i've heard..... dudes, it's drum corps, and these things are rarely meant to be serious cowboy up! these things turn into hilarious memories, and when you are in the middle of tour, it's not like there is much that phases you.... I mean.. it could be worse... they could not feed the kids or something....

Wow.....and I can't believe that some drum corps actually teach this way in the 21st century. Seriously? :doh:

• Like 1