JD Shaw steps down as Phantom Regiment brass arranger?

But as I said, getting pushed hard and being treated like crap aren't inseparable by any means.

I know this is off topic but its a good off topic. The problem is is that a lot of parents and kids equate getting pushed hard with being treated like crap. Some kids and parents push back with this threat of calling it abuse or lawsuits when you drive a kid hard. I'm talking about making a kid run for ticking or similar punishments. And sometimes you can do humorous stuff. Every old timer I'm sure has some staff story. The fact is, BOBBY KNIGHT used to bring his basketball team to Star of Indiana rehearsals to teach his kids how to practice. Do y'all think Bobby Knight would do the same thing today? I'm not so sure. I guess I'm just a little old school.

• Like 2

OFF TOPIC ALERT.....

One of the hallmarks of Drum Corps over the years has been pushing people further than they themselves thought possible. It's the only thing that works. That being said, there is and always has been a right way and a wrong way to do it. Unfortunately, for much of the activity's existence there were very few education majors and very few who knew how to motivate except what they learned in the military. Over time our sensibility has changed and we find some of these coarse "corrections" offensive.

Here are some thoughts I've tried to gravitate toward as I teach students ranging from elementary to professional.

Kids aren't "stupid". They do, however, do stupid things.

A student who leaves my teaching unimproved or unchanged has been ripped off.

Actions can be critiqued, people not so much.

Poor choices must be pointed out honestly and tactfully....and occasionally publicly for the good of the organization.

When it's no longer about helping someone realize their potential, it's time to move on.

YMMV

• Like 4

I'm actually in the small minority of people who have marched both corps and I can say the two organizations are awesome. I have a really low tolerance for BS and while I didnt mind if a staff person chewed me out for "not getting it" - I would have shut things down fast if anyone had ever crossed the line. I never saw that happen in either organization, at least from the staff...from the marching members though :shutup:

...but I figure that's just taking ownership of the corps that you've poured blood, sweat, tears, and thousands of dollars into.

SPOON!

Spoon was an awesome guy and never spoke much (unless he was learning japanese) and just, point blank, worked his butt off all summer long.

I'm glad to be in that same group with spoon. I wish we had marched the green team together (he marched 98 or 99), as well as Regiment. If there had been more guys like him there, I probably would have stuck around. (I kid!)

• Like 1

I know this is off topic but its a good off topic. The problem is is that a lot of parents and kids equate getting pushed hard with being treated like crap. Some kids and parents push back with this threat of calling it abuse or lawsuits when you drive a kid hard. I'm talking about making a kid run for ticking or similar punishments. And sometimes you can do humorous stuff. Every old timer I'm sure has some staff story. The fact is, BOBBY KNIGHT used to bring his basketball team to Star of Indiana rehearsals to teach his kids how to practice. Do y'all think Bobby Knight would do the same thing today? I'm not so sure. I guess I'm just a little old school.

Bobby Knight also continually threw tantrums that reflected poorly on his program, his team, and himself. And he was fired from a job he had to try hard to lose (and almost fired at the next one).

Maybe you're in the camp that think IU was wrong to terminate him, but I think most who aren't blind Hoosier faithful would disagree with you.

Yeah, IU has 5 banners....from over 20 years ago.

Taking the basketball coaching analogy further, do you think Phil Jackson coaches that way? Does Coach K or Roy Williams? Bill Self? I've seen K, Roy, and Self mad, but never anything like Knight.

Point being, Knight's methods hardly justify themselves just in the name of winning.

• Like 1

SPOON!

Spoon was an awesome guy and never spoke much (unless he was learning japanese) and just, point blank, worked his butt off all summer long.

I'm glad to be in that same group with spoon. I wish we had marched the green team together (he marched 98 or 99), as well as Regiment. If there had been more guys like him there, I probably would have stuck around. (I kid!)

Haha I guess no one is truly anonymous on the internet these days. :tongue:

So...I hear J.D. is stepping down as Regiment's brass arranger. Would have thought that there would be a thread about that on here somewhere. All I see is a thread telling me how terribly I was treated during my wonderful summer with the corps. Which is interesting, as I remember it very differently. But, I won't feed anyone's flames on here. I'll just leave and remember all of the fantastic life lessons I learned from not only J.D. and the brass staff, but those "evil" Emmert Brothers and the vis staff. I count myself lucky to have spent my summer learning from them. See ya.

• Like 2

An instructor is not there to be your friend. They're your instructor - period. If you don't like the way they do it then have them fired (very difficult) or just quit (very simple) but don't produce a whine that doesn't go with the cheese.

• Like 2

So...I hear J.D. is stepping down as Regiment's brass arranger. Would have thought that there would be a thread about that on here somewhere. All I see is a thread telling me how terribly I was treated during my wonderful summer with the corps. Which is interesting, as I remember it very differently. But, I won't feed anyone's flames on here. I'll just leave and remember all of the fantastic life lessons I learned from not only J.D. and the brass staff, but those "evil" Emmert Brothers and the vis staff. I count myself lucky to have spent my summer learning from them. See ya.

You're not far enough away yet.

• Like 2

Bobby Knight also continually threw tantrums that reflected poorly on his program, his team, and himself. And he was fired from a job he had to try hard to lose (and almost fired at the next one).

Maybe you're in the camp that think IU was wrong to terminate him, but I think most who aren't blind Hoosier faithful would disagree with you.

Yeah, IU has 5 banners....from over 20 years ago.

Taking the basketball coaching analogy further, do you think Phil Jackson coaches that way? Does Coach K or Roy Williams? Bill Self? I've seen K, Roy, and Self mad, but never anything like Knight.

Point being, Knight's methods hardly justify themselves just in the name of winning.

IU has 5 banners from over 20 years ago and Knight was fired 10 years ago. Maybe they should have fired him earlier for mediocre seasons. :tongue:

A lot of staff members throw tantrums that would reflect poorly on their corps...the only difference is DCI isnt under a national media magnifying glass. :smile:

Keep in mind that Coach Knight was teaching adults and while he was definitely...abrasive...most players would still dive onto a grenade for "the General". Maybe they appreciate the mental toughness he helped them develop.

I guess in the world of helicopter parents and insane litigation, such a quality will become rare.

I really doubt that all of those coaches you mentioned are as cuddly in private as they are in front of the camera.

• Like 1

IU has 5 banners from over 20 years ago and Knight was fired 10 years ago. Maybe they should have fired him earlier for mediocre seasons. :tongue:

A lot of staff members throw tantrums that would reflect poorly on their corps...the only difference is DCI isnt under a national media magnifying glass. :smile:

Keep in mind that Coach Knight was teaching adults and while he was definitely...abrasive...most players would still dive onto a grenade for "the General". Maybe they appreciate the mental toughness he helped them develop.

I guess in the world of helicopter parents and insane litigation, such a quality will become rare.

I really doubt that all of those coaches you mentioned are as cuddly in private as they are in front of the camera.

I would say for the most part he coached the same general age group as the top corps have... with some exceptions... but either way, I agree with what you are saying.

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2