JD Shaw steps down as Phantom Regiment brass arranger?

IU has 5 banners from over 20 years ago and Knight was fired 10 years ago. Maybe they should have fired him earlier for mediocre seasons. :tongue:

A lot of staff members throw tantrums that would reflect poorly on their corps...the only difference is DCI isnt under a national media magnifying glass. :smile:

Keep in mind that Coach Knight was teaching adults and while he was definitely...abrasive...most players would still dive onto a grenade for "the General". Maybe they appreciate the mental toughness he helped them develop.

I guess in the world of helicopter parents and insane litigation, such a quality will become rare.

I really doubt that all of those coaches you mentioned are as cuddly in private as they are in front of the camera.

Helicopter parents? please expound!

As best friend to over 600 current and former PR members, I can say with absolute authority that the visual staff will regularly stomp to death puppies, kittens, baby turtles, etc. as "motivation". I recommend that these staffers be tarred, feathered, and ridden out of Rockford on a rail at the earliest opportunity.

• Like 4

Next thing you'll hear is how the Cooking crew had told someone to take a flying dive off a perforated piece of Pastry. Where will end.

You notice how rare it is to actually hear things like this directly from the horses mouth, it's always a friend of a friend.

Back in the day every corp did some of this. I doubt it's much different today.

• Like 2

People change but I have to say when I entered this activity I was introduced to JD's long F when he was at Boston in '99. I hated it... There was no instructor that worked with the brass line that was more intense than JD. Visually we'd get our asssssssses beat because that was their jobs.. The discipline aspect of the activity was carried on the shoulders of the vis staff which if they didn't beat you up, you were shorted the opportunity of bringing a product to life.

I'm not sure what has happened to the activity I love but it feels like tour now comes with the expectation that nothing is going to go wrong, busses won't break down, you won't get yelled at and you aren't going to get the occasional bug in your juice. People do bone head moves and tick on a nightly basis.. Getting rid of that in 2 months opens itself to a variety of teaching styles... ENJOY IT! Believe me that in the end you'll be making jokes about how such and such blew a gasket..

Good luck JD... Would be awesome to see you back at Boston but get some rest buddy and thanks for the learning experience!

• Like 3

ENJOY IT! Believe me that in the end you'll be making jokes about how such and such blew a gasket..

For reference, look at the annual "instructor comments" thread. Might have been shocking at the time, but are now viewed as hysterical.

I've heard my share of Brazale stories from Regiment alums, particularly my lovely bride who marched in John's last two Regiment guards before transitioning to visual/drill only.

As part of the thread hijack, I'd like to add that I am opposed to esteem-based education. You just can't coddle them, especially in a results-based activity like drum corps. There are many, many ways of illiciting excellence without shouting and degrading comments, and most of the time they are highly effective. But you have to have the "shock and awe" as part of your repertoire, too. We are trying to achieve excellence, and do it in a relatively limited time frame.

One of my drill instructors (to use an antiquated term) scared the crap out of a lot of corps members. If you were smart you applied yourself and stayed under the radar. I'm proud to say that I eventually served on staff with this individual and call him friend.

Back on topic, I wish JD all the success in the world in his future endeavors. I'll miss his writing, just as I missed Jim Wren's. Regiment will find the right person, and I'm looking forward to their contributions to the Regiment legacy.

BTW, I've met the Emmert brothers, and they never yelled at me once!

:-)

Garry in Vegas

• Like 2

I love me some Emmerts. Even some of the Emmerts that aren't with PR right now. If my kids wanted to march for them, I would wholeheartedly endorse it. I'd probably even slip them some private details for motivation.

I'm probably a poor parent. :D

Sweet! Green to white, like spoon, me, and the tenor. Or white to green?

Green to white. The Few. The Proud. The corps hoppers. Both corps were great.