JD Shaw steps down as Phantom Regiment brass arranger?

Green to white. The Few. The Proud. The corps hoppers. Both corps were great.

I agree, I love both organizations and cherish the time I spent with them. I just felt more of a connection at one than the other. Still wouldnt trade either experience for the world (the or the time I spent in Div II/III).

That being said - I've encountered some absolutely nasty, scary caption heads and techs in the years that I marched, and I've never heard any of them cross the line.

I wanted to add an anecdote about Bob Smith (I absolutely love him) but I figured that it would just be picked apart and thrown into the fire to help the FLAMING going on.

Its a shame that JD Shaw is stepping down, but the bright side is the DCI could use all of the new blood it can get to help keep the activity going.

There are so few chances for designers to take a crack at the top because the caption heads from those corps stick around forever.

• Like 1

I agree, I love both organizations and cherish the time I spent with them. I just felt more of a connection at one than the other. Still wouldnt trade either experience for the world (the or the time I spent in Div II/III).

That being said - I've encountered some absolutely nasty, scary caption heads and techs in the years that I marched, and I've never heard any of them cross the line.

I wanted to add an anecdote about Bob Smith (I absolutely love him) but I figured that it would just be picked apart and thrown into the fire to help the FLAMING going on.

Its a shame that JD Shaw is stepping down, but the bright side is the DCI could use all of the new blood it can get to help keep the activity going.

There are so few chances for designers to take a crack at the top because the caption heads from those corps stick around forever.

We've all (from the 90's era) had Bob Smith run-ins, LOL. (He made me leave the field once. Might've had something to do my yelling something at the drum major from fifty yards away. :whistle: Still feel bad about that one...) Still, the man could clean some feet. As for JD, he did some awesome work with the corps and will surely be missed but just as when Jim Wren left, the corps will be fine in the long run.

Bobby Knight also continually threw tantrums that reflected poorly on his program, his team, and himself. And he was fired from a job he had to try hard to lose (and almost fired at the next one).

Maybe you're in the camp that think IU was wrong to terminate him, but I think most who aren't blind Hoosier faithful would disagree with you.

Yeah, IU has 5 banners....from over 20 years ago.

Taking the basketball coaching analogy further, do you think Phil Jackson coaches that way? Does Coach K or Roy Williams? Bill Self? I've seen K, Roy, and Self mad, but never anything like Knight.

Point being, Knight's methods hardly justify themselves just in the name of winning.

I was born and raised in Indiana, and for a long time I was a Knight fan. My attitude changed when reports of his tantrums, chair-throwing, etc., became publicized. More and more, I started to see him as a bully.

I have relatives who say, "Yes, he has a temper. But he's a good coach, and he was generous to the community." In my mind, that doesn't justify the tactics he used not only with his players, but also with others. I used to work at a university, and the image that sticks in my mind is of him throwing a potted plant at an IU secretary to intimidate her. I don't care how many titles a person has, or how "successful" he or she may be, none of that justifies being abusive toward others . . . which this clearly was. There are ways of lighting a fire under people (the occasional use of language, etc.) to fix mistakes that don't involve institutionalized abuse. There are other instances to demonstrate that this wasn't just a "temper" issue, but serious anger-control issues which Knight was inflicting on others around him as a means of control. I try to imagine being that secretary and told (I assume) to let it go because that's just the way he is. No, it's unacceptable behavior no matter who the person is.

Edited by byline
  • Like 1

It's amazing how thin-skinned culture has become today. Everything apparently needs to be happy and shiny and PC.... Just imagine what would happen if any of us lived in colonial times, or in some of the third world countries, where whipping is commonplace for minor infractions, and you could lose a hand for speaking out of turn. Think about that next time you think a staff member yelling at a consenting adult is "too mean"

Best of Luck to JD in whatever his future holds, he's a phenomenal French Horn player, I hope he keeps doing that and teaching at UNM.

It's amazing how thin-skinned culture has become today. Everything apparently needs to be happy and shiny and PC.... Just imagine what would happen if any of us lived in colonial times, or in some of the third world countries, where whipping is commonplace for minor infractions, and you could lose a hand for speaking out of turn. Think about that next time you think a staff member yelling at a consenting adult is "too mean"

The obvious difference being, of course, we don't live in those times. Cultures change. So does the measure of acceptable behavior. People were harder then, but so were times. I'm sure most of us born then would have adjusted opinions accordingly.

But anyway, I've ruffled far more feathers than I ever intended to (believe it or not). Just was speaking my mind. Didn't mean to offend.

I'd take it all down for the greater cause of peace and harmony, but I think with all the quoting going on, my posts would still be showing up in those of others.

My sincerest apologies to anyone I've offended. Like I said, I never intended to talk down the Phantom Regiment itself or any of its members past or present.

I don't think this DCP thing is really for me, so y'all take care.

• Like 1

My sincerest apologies to anyone I've offended. Like I said, I never intended to talk down the Phantom Regiment itself or any of its members past or present.

Dwight and Jay are both past members... so I'm gonna say, you are full of hogwash.

Nice salutation line. It is called an indemnifier. People do it when they don't want to be held accountable for things they have said. Much like my signature, but I'm not presenting myself as a serious poster on the board, like you are.

• Like 2

I am bit a late..been busy with classes and such.

This is sad news, Shaw has written some of the most beautiful horn books in recent history (IMO), and he will be surly missed. Whoever takes over has a big job, but I expect that he will do a great job.

Shaw will be one of the few arrangers that will make me have goosebumps, whenever I listen Faust, Juliet, and Into the light, as well as the blow your face off arrangement of finale from firebird from 07.

a bit off topic, jesus, whats going on Beddis, Sage, and now Shaw all step down. Next year is going to be different..very different

Edited by ohwiseone

The obvious difference being, of course, we don't live in those times. Cultures change. So does the measure of acceptable behavior. People were harder then, but so were times. I'm sure most of us born then would have adjusted opinions accordingly.

I know, but that's the inherent problem. People have gotten much softer. Just 100 years ago, the average life-span was around 50, and infant mortality rates were 60%.... Think about that. Life was much harder, but so were the people. I just think it's a bit of an over-reaction to claim un-professionalism for staff members to yell at consenting adults when they're not doing what is expected. It's a competitive activity, you need everyone to be on their game all of the time, and always at their peak. If some kid isn't getting it, and is dragging the corps down, then it's prefect for the staff to yell at both them and the other members, to get everyone to be their best. Blowing sunshine up their butts will mean nothing if the staff spends all day saying, "That was perfect!" then the judges trash you that night.

• Like 3

I am bit a late..been busy with classes and such.

This is sad news, Shaw has written some of the most beautiful horn books in recent history (IMO), and he will be surly missed. Whoever takes over has a big job, but I expect that he will do a great job.

Shaw will be one of the few arrangers that will make me have goosebumps, whenever I listen Faust, Juliet, and Into the light, as well as the blow your face off arrangement of finale from firebird from 07.

a bit off topic, jesus, whats going on Beddis, Sage, and now Shaw all step down. Next year is going to be different..very different

Beddis stepped down? blink.gif Gotta go find that thread!

I know, but that's the inherent problem. People have gotten much softer. Just 100 years ago, the average life-span was around 50, and infant mortality rates were 60%.... Think about that. Life was much harder, but so were the people. I just think it's a bit of an over-reaction to claim un-professionalism for staff members to yell at consenting adults when they're not doing what is expected. It's a competitive activity, you need everyone to be on their game all of the time, and always at their peak. If some kid isn't getting it, and is dragging the corps down, then it's prefect for the staff to yell at both them and the other members, to get everyone to be their best. Blowing sunshine up their butts will mean nothing if the staff spends all day saying, "That was perfect!" then the judges trash you that night.

From personal experience yelling at kids does not get them to perform any better. The reason staff members yell is because they've run out of ways to get the material across so they instinctively yell to try to get the idea into the kid's head. If I ever had a staff member verbally abuse one of my students I would have him fired. There is no reason to yell at kids just because the teacher is getting frustrated, no matter how competitive this activity is, yelling doesn't get anyone anywhere. If anything, more mistakes occur as a result of yelling...just my "new school thought process" .02 cents.

Edited by ChwyNiblet
  • Like 1