The All-Cesario Awards

Easily, the award SHOULD go to Carolina Crown. Definitely the most entertaining to the most people this year, they were the crowd favorite.

I received e-mails this summer from people insisting THREE different corps were the crowd favorite. One stated another corps had the most crowd favorite show "without question," as well as having "undeniably the most challenging show."

• Like 2

I posted the following in the thread about the All-Royer Awards:

<<Okay, gang, since the All-Royer Awards are the product of the OP, which is their prerogative, I suggest that we create an open source award thread and call it the All-Cesario Awards. (This would not be limited to corps that wear Cesario uniforms.) This would be open to all DCP members, including amadorj. I'm naming it after Cesario because of his admonition this year for corps to be entertaining, so my only suggestion is that the award winners be entertaining in some way to you personally, which doesn't mean they have to be entertaining to anyone else.

Ready? Then have at it.>>

Have at it!

Boston and Cadets

It worked out the way it should have this year. Cadets, hands down.

(thanks for the edit prompt Boo!)

Well, I wouldn't say "hands down". The captions were pretty even with a number of winners across the board. Cadets had the best design....period (and deserved the championship), but (IMO) performance was a mixed bag with BD besting Cadets on execution, perhaps by a significant margin. I know Cadets won the Viz performance award but I think you'll see that BD was much cleaner. I know the old arguments about difficulty, but when it comes to the Cadets design team they always take those kids to the edge of the physically possible.....in recent years (including their daring 2009 production) that has hurt them in execution. Not so this year, the drill was hard but doable...just not executed as well as BD. What does that all mean? Design should always prevail, when performed within an exceptable range.

• Like 2

I think MJC should win the MJC award. He entertains me everytime I hear him speak.

I'd say the Cavaliers. They set a mood that no one else can. They weren't the cleanest, but I thought they outperformed everyone else. Such an engrossing production with my favorite musical book of the year.

On another note, I simply cannot understand all the hype about Madison. Yes an entertaining show, but many people here and elsewhere make it out to be the best thing since sliced bread. ESOM was fun and catchy (albeit overblown at times), but the whole show suffered from extremely poor visual execution and design and recycled music (opener). I was quite disappointed by John Vanderkoff's (sp.?) drill design, given the outstanding stuff he's done in the past (namely Star 93 if I am not mistaken). I guess I just "hear with my eyes" if that makes sense.

• Like 1

Well, I wouldn't say "hands down". The captions were pretty even with a number of winners across the board. Cadets had the best design....period (and deserved the championship), but (IMO) performance was a mixed bag with BD besting Cadets on execution, perhaps by a significant margin. I know Cadets won the Viz performance award but I think you'll see that BD was much cleaner. I know the old arguments about difficulty, but when it comes to the Cadets design team they always take those kids to the edge of the physically possible.....in recent years (including their daring 2009 production) that has hurt them in execution. Not so this year, the drill was hard but doable...just not executed as well as BD. What does that all mean? Design should always prevail, when performed within an exceptable range.

I agree completely. Honestly, I thought BD was screwed all finals week by the visual performance judges. Yes Cadets had the better show, but in my eyes, Cadets should have been 3rd in vis perf. BD's technique was flawless (as usual) and I only witnessed a few issues with feet phasing (during extremely difficult listening and performing environments). Then again, I'm no judge, just calling it how I saw it.

• Like 1

Easily, the award SHOULD go to Carolina Crown. Definitely the most entertaining to the most people this year, they were the crowd favorite.

But that isn't what Boo asked us to do. He said to name the corps that was most entertaining to us *personally*.

That said: Cadets. No question.

• Like 2

I am having a hard time choosing this one. I think I am going to have to call it a tie between Carolina Crown and Cavaliers.

With Cadets, Madison Scouts and SCV rounding out the top 5. This was such an amazing year.