The All-Cesario Awards

Ah hmmm (clears throat), again, I don't want to be the one to fart during your little campfire sing-along of "cumbaya" we're having here, but part of knowing what we are doing right, is understanding what we did wrong. Declaring ourselves "fixed" is a bit of an over-reach IMO. I'm not making the claim, so it's incumbent on those making the claim to identify those violators that were "copying each other" or "doing the same things", or "not being themselves". Facts please. Now, back to your singing! :music:

Plan, you know they pick these posts apart. Thats a good thing. Take what you need and leave the rest, DCP is very relevant.

Mike should post here, don't ya think?

Edited by thirdcoast

It seems to me that what is most interesting about my feelings for these two shows is that they are so different.

I can imagine that an MC behind-closed-doors pitch went something like this:

"Stop copying each other! Stop doing the same things!

You each have your own "thing" so do it and do it well.

Give us the diversity."

The end.

Actually, I imagined it went more like this, after what I saw this year:

"Pick a hook and go for it in your own way with your own educational style and entertainment goals. Everyone will want to connect if you find a really good hook for your show."

Cadets picks a great story hook with a visual to match.

BD picks a great musical hook.

Cavies pick circus acts and makes them cool.

Crown picks Rock, Rach and Herbert.

Phantom picks Juliet... lots of Juliets, actually.

And the list goes on, and on, and on and we suddenly have a fantastic year of drum corps.

Plan, you know they pick these posts apart. Thats a good thing. Take what you need and leave the rest, DCP is very relevant.

Mike should post here, don't ya think?

I suspect he's a little smarter than I am. :tongue:

Ah hmmm (clears throat), again, I don't want to be the one to fart during your little campfire sing-along of "cumbaya" we're having here, but part of knowing what we are doing right, is understanding what we did wrong. Declaring ourselves "fixed" is a bit of an over-reach IMO. I'm not making the claim, so it's incumbent on those making the claim to identify those violators that were "copying each other" or "doing the same things", or "not being themselves". Facts please. Now, back to your singing! :music:

Oh, you know, Plan. The same litany of things talked about here dozens of times:

Chop and Bop music charts

Jazz running follow the leader.

Scatter drill to new sets.

Big props to augment "the story"

Monster squats and other dancing in the drum lines

Angry guard faces emoting the feelings fans supposed to have because the music book doesn't do it.

We saw some of that this year, but a lot less of it than in past years, IMO.

"Individuality" seems to be coming back in vogue.

• Like 2

..."Individuality" seems to be coming back in vogue.

Surely you know as well as I do that one year isn't a trend. I'm with Plan on this. What happened this year - good though it was - is more likely indicative of a trend that precedes Cesario. It just might be the vision wasn't executed quite so well in 2010 and before. Should Cesario get credit? Some.

HH

• Like 1

Oh, you know, Plan. The same litany of things talked about here dozens of times:

Chop and Bop music charts - BD

Jazz running follow the leader. - BD

Scatter drill to new sets. - BD (Maybe CC a little)

Big props to augment "the story" - BD (Maybe Blue Stars a little)

Monster squats and other dancing in the drum lines - BD

Angry guard faces emoting the feelings fans supposed to have because the music book doesn't do it. :blink:

We saw some of that this year, but a lot less of it than in past years, IMO.

"Individuality" seems to be coming back in vogue.

Remind me to hire you as my "Spin Meister" :tongue:

I've tried to associate ALL of the corps with each of your trend accusations! Did I miss any? :rolleyes: Not exactly what I would call a trend. Remember, we're trying to capture the big difference between the previous year(s) trends and the miraculous, DCI-saving.... 2011! Was 2011 more successful and fan friendly? ...apparently but this was also a year of many nuances such as meetings of the top 8 peppered throughout the year, coupled with a mix of "who's on top?" all year long....a very competitve atmosphere. So the creativity/design stuff being trotted out here is kind of a ruse!

Actually, I recognize some of the items that you and others are trying to foist here concerning the success of 2011, and I do understand where you're coming from, but it just comes down to this: One dominant champion wins, and wins with big margins, performing shows that some fans had difficultly connecting with....and it fries people's corks! Then we wring our hands and speak of the death of drum corps and deminishing crowds. Oh, woe is us!

I'm not suggesting your points are wrong G, ....just focusing them honestly!

"Get some rest Pam....you look tired!

So, do you have any personal Cesarios to hand out that don't fit within the All-Royer Awards? It's free!

Mr. Boo

Once apon a time sir, I thought you had some class. Your dismissive attitude to this man is unfortunately typical of this forum.

I've tried to associate ALL of the corps with each of your trend accusations! Did I miss any? :rolleyes: Not exactly what I would call a trend. Remember, we're trying to capture the big difference between the previous year(s) trends and the miraculous, DCI-saving.... 2011! Was 2011 more successful and fan friendly? ...apparently but this was also a year of many nuances such as meetings of the top 8 peppered throughout the year, coupled with a mix of "who's on top?" all year long....a very competitve atmosphere. So the creativity/design stuff being trotted out here is kind of a ruse!

Actually, I recognize some of the items that you and others are trying to foist here concerning the success of 2011, and I do understand where you're coming from, but it just comes down to this: One dominant champion wins, and wins with big margins, performing shows that some fans had difficultly connecting with....and it fries people's corks! Then we wring our hands and speak of the death of drum corps and deminishing crowds. Oh, woe is us!

While I appreciate your attempt to "focus" the discussion, Plan, your focus is aimed improperly. I, indeed, had no focus on BD as you plainly have except, possibly, as a leader in the "follow the leader" (FTL) movement. You need not rely on simply my words here to embellish on FTL; there are lots of threads here detailing it (you may consider searching by "ABBD" to find the discussions).

In fact, and much to your surprise I suspect, my comments are directed specifically NOT at BD because they can't be accused of dragging the other corps in their wake. Rather, the other corps simply looked at the formula for winning (as established by the Cadevaliers) and followed along instead of staying true to their roots and developing a winning formula on their own.

That is the MC difference, IMO (with no first-hand evidence as to what was actually said in his meetings).

And don't tell me you haven't seen the guard's "Angry Face" routines! They were all over the place last year, to the point of me asking "What are the guards all so mad about?"

EDIT: Oh, and who's Pam? One of BB's girlfriends? :w00t:

Edited by garfield

Darn it, Plan, I keep trying to click on all of your underlined posts thinking that they're links only to be fooled!

I'm with Garfield! Yay, we have two camps!