The All-Cesario Awards

I'd give the overall Cesario award to Carolina Crown this year. They really pushed the envelope in crowd participation and entertainment. Right from the pre-show they invited the crowd to be involved. It was obvious that a lot of their design choices were meant to appeal as much to the fans as to the judging sheets, and I think the fan response all year reflected that. They also did it without sacrificing demand, performing one of the toughest and best performed shows on the field.

For visual design I'd give the Cesario to The Cadets. The two colored uniforms were inspired, but to me their greatest visual achievement came in the characterization of the demons and angels. It's tough enough to play and march that incredible drill, but to layer on top of it the additional responsibility of acting as an additional performance element, was simply outstanding.

For brass I'm going to give the Cesario to Carolina Crown. They were loud, they had perfect balance and tone, they played one of the toughest charts on the field , and they did it all with style. They proved that a great hornline can sound as good, or even better, during the soft musical passages. In my opinion this was one one of the finest brass performances I have ever seen on the field.

I have 3 Cesarios to give for individual performances:

Individual performance for brass: the baritone soloist for Boston Crusaders

Individual performance for percussion: the piano player with Carolina Crown

Individual performance for Color Guard: Herbert

And finally I'd like to give one additional Cesario: for contribution to the activity by a non-marching member I give the Cesario to Michael Cesario. It was a big risk on his part to make it his personal mission to help push a more fan friendly style of shows. It could have really backfired on him if the corps had shown resentment to his suggestions/influence, and it could have easily damaged his career. I know his role was mostly as a figurehead, but he took a great risk by attaching his name and reputation to the success of this season, and I think the activity has been steered in a much better direction thanks to his courage and leadership.

Edited by Super Don-O
  • Like 3

But that isn't what Boo asked us to do. He said to name the corps that was most entertaining to us *personally*.

That said: Cadets. No question.

YES! And that's why this isn't a poll.

Easily The Cadets ...

Saw them 4 times live ... Murfreesboro and the 3 nights in Indy ...

Each viewing, I picked up more details in the show ...

I think 2011 will go down as one of the strongest top 17 Corps ... enjoyed them all!!!

And finally I'd like to give one additional Cesario: for contribution to the activity by a non-marching member I give the Cesario to Michael Cesario. It was a big risk on his part to make it his personal mission to help push a more fan friendly style of shows. It could have really backfired on him if the corps had shown resentment to his suggestions/influence, and it could have easily damaged his career. I know his role was mostly as a figurehead, but he took a great risk by attaching his name and reputation to the success of this season, and I think the activity has been steered in a much better direction thanks to his courage and leadership.

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

this.

Would the trophy happen to be a bathtub full of melted chocolate?

article-1384190-0BEE9EA100000578-518_468x589.jpg

I'd give the overall Cesario award to Carolina Crown this year. They really pushed the envelope in crowd participation and entertainment. Right from the pre-show they invited the crowd to be involved. It was obvious that a lot of their design choices were meant to appeal as much to the fans as to the judging sheets, and I think the fan response all year reflected that. They also did it without sacrificing demand, performing one of the toughest and best performed shows on the field.

For visual design I'd give the Cesario to The Cadets. The two colored uniforms were inspired, but to me their greatest visual achievement came in the characterization of the demons and angels. It's tough enough to play and march that incredible drill, but to layer on top of it the additional responsibility of acting as an additional performance element, was simply outstanding.

For brass I'm going to give the Cesario to Carolina Crown. They were loud, they had perfect balance and tone, they played one of the toughest charts on the field , and they did it all with style. They proved that a great hornline can sound as good, or even better, during the soft musical passages. In my opinion this was one one of the finest brass performances I have ever seen on the field.

I have 3 Cesarios to give for individual performances:

Individual performance for brass: the baritone soloist for Boston Crusaders

Individual performance for percussion: the piano player with Carolina Crown

Individual performance for Color Guard: Herbert

I continue to have big issues with us fawning over M.C. So, let me get this straight..... M.C. is the new "Design Potentate" for DCI. Then what? He pulls all the corps directors in and tells them what? How many were offenders last year? Cadets? Cavies? CC? Madison? SCV? Bluecoats? BAC? Crossmen? Spirit? ......Who? What were we adjusting from? I don't get it. Now, all is right with the world. I need some forensics on this. Otherwise, it looks to me like one dominant corps changes its design trend to a more "traditional" production and suddenly DCI is saved from itself. I'd like to thank you Michael but I just don't know what you did!

Edited by Plan9
  • Like 3