The All-Cesario Awards

Mr. Boo

Once apon a time sir, I thought you had some class. Your dismissive attitude to this man is unfortunately typical of this forum.

Is your contention that this thread's posters have a dismissive attitude?

Why....I don't know whether to be proud or insulted!

Now, had you mis-spelled Bluecoats...

:shutup:

• Like 1

While I appreciate your attempt to "focus" the discussion, Plan, your focus is aimed improperly. I, indeed, had no focus on BD as you plainly have except, possibly, as a leader in the "follow the leader" (FTL) movement. You need not rely on simply my words here to embellish on FTL; there are lots of threads here detailing it (you may consider searching by "ABBD" to find the discussions).

In fact, and much to your surprise I suspect, my comments are directed specifically NOT at BD because they can't be accused of dragging the other corps in their wake. Rather, the other corps simply looked at the formula for winning (as established by the Cadevaliers) and followed along instead of staying true to their roots and developing a winning formula on their own.

That is the MC difference, IMO (with no first-hand evidence as to what was actually said in his meetings).

And don't tell me you haven't seen the guard's "Angry Face" routines! They were all over the place last year, to the point of me asking "What are the guards all so mad about?"

EDIT: Oh, and who's Pam? One of BB's girlfriends? :w00t:

I'm shocked and shagrined! You don't recognize the famous closing lines from "The Bourne Supremacy"!!! Although Angie Dickenson did start to look a little "road hard and hung up wet" when she was hanging with BB.

BTW, I did get a chuckle from your reference to the guard's "angry faces"...... I did see them.....and had almost completely erased them....thanks!

... In fact, and much to your surprise I suspect, my comments are directed specifically NOT at BD because they can't be accused of dragging the other corps in their wake. Rather, the other corps simply looked at the formula for winning (as established by the Cadevaliers) and followed along instead of staying true to their roots and developing a winning formula on their own.

That is the MC difference, IMO (with no first-hand evidence as to what was actually said in his meetings)...

emphasis added

Okay, but who? Who was following along instead of being true to their roots the past few years before this one? Surely not Cadets, right? Cavies? I don't think so. Crown? I doubt it. Phantom? Not so. Not Madison. Blue Knights, Blue Stars or Boston? I'm not seeing it.

SCV? Ironically, maybe you can make the case for SCV following a BD lead (who'd have thunk it?). On the other hand, maybe the shift just happens to coincide with the arrival of the top Cavie in Santa Clara. Bluecoats? Doesn't feel that way to me, but maybe?

Seems me that's just two at most of the usual top 10. Two doesn't seem enough.

HH

Mr. Boo

Once apon a time sir, I thought you had some class. Your dismissive attitude to this man is unfortunately typical of this forum.

How on earth was that at all dismissive? I gave him props for the idea and then personally invited him to share his opinions. Again, HOW on EARTH is that dismissive?

Post 46 reply to the same person: And the idea of the Cesario Awards was based on his well-publicized directive to the activity this year, when he stuck out his neck and risked much ridicule had it not had an effect. There's also a bit of whimsy with the name. You've got the Royer Awards and I leave the other giants you've named for others to pick up and run with. My conception of the Cesario Awards were only to honor corps each person found entertaining by their own criteria. It doesn't matter if anyone else agrees with them.

Edited by Michael Boo

emphasis added

Okay, but who? Who was following along instead of being true to their roots the past few years before this one? Surely not Cadets, right? Cavies? I don't think so. Crown? I doubt it. Phantom? Not so. Not Madison. Blue Knights, Blue Stars or Boston? I'm not seeing it.

SCV? Ironically, maybe you can make the case for SCV following a BD lead (who'd have thunk it?). On the other hand, maybe the shift just happens to coincide with the arrival of the top Cavie in Santa Clara. Bluecoats? Doesn't feel that way to me, but maybe?

Seems me that's just two at most of the usual top 10. Two doesn't seem enough.

HH

H, I actually brought up the FN to review all the shows and list their similarities, but then I decided I didn't need to.

This is a "group think" issue. One entity discovers what winning takes and, soon, all others are mimicking it. It's the same in several parts of life. There are a relative few who seek their own way.

Surely you see the impact on Bluecoats, who went from a swingy jazz style to a more regimented chop-and-bop book since 2007.

Crown, I must say, has kept their whimsical story-telling reputation but, even here, you see drum line squats/dancing and angry guards. As with many, they scatter to sets and break the field with storytelling props. I could recognized the story with just the low-hanging fruit of the William Tell, but they found it necessary to add the horse gates. (Disclaimer: I'm not picking on Crown. Their use of "Slo-mo" in the photo-finish, along with the heartbeat bass drum, was brilliant. A very enjoyable music book. But did you notice that Cadets used slo-mo this year? To an extreme, that could be an example of what I'm referring to.)

I could go on, H, but I'll challenge you to go watch 2010 videos with an eye towards finding the similarities among design and execution. It's all over the place.

Again, I'll use Madison, 2011 as an example (and I'm no honk for Madison; they were my hotdog corps for many, many years). This year they told a powerful story and the extent of their props was a newspaper (that many around here debated for weeks, wondering what the headlines were). Their story was told with their music and drill (didn't you see the towers falling? Didn't you feel refreshed, renewed by ESOM?) Their show was as impactful on me as was my favorite, the Cadets.

Take Cavies last year. Had they not told you "This is my rifle..." would the music and drill told you that theme anyway? The use of props to portray the storyline is as bad as needing a libretto to understand the show. And it's endemic in FTL. The simulated "emotions" of the corps during the show wasn't an enhancement to the music; rather, without it, the show wouldn't have made sense. (Similar disclaimer to Cavies. I still pay lots of money to see them perform.)

Blue Stars last year, one of my favorite shows of the year. The music was beautiful. The guard in straight jackets was perfect. But the fake "emotions" exhibited physically by the corps was a huge distraction, IMO. The show sold itself on the music alone and it didn't need the corps MM's acting as "emotion props". Their drill was beautifully designed but they did plenty of jazz-running or jogging into place throughout the show.

I could go on but I won't. I'll challenge you, instead, to go watch some of last years' shows with an eye towards their similarities.

You just don't see that in 2011. Yes, there was some, granted. But, IMO, considerably less than 2010.

As I said, individuality seems again in vogue. I didn't say all the corps have been cured yet.

Edited by garfield

H, I actually brought up the FN to review all the shows and list their similarities, but then I decided I didn't need to.

This is a "group think" issue. One entity discovers what winning takes and, soon, all others are mimicking it. It's the same in several parts of life. There are a relative few who seek their own way.

Surely you see the impact on Bluecoats, who went from a swingy jazz style to a more regimented chop-and-bop book since 2007.

Crown, I must say, has kept their whimsical story-telling reputation but, even here, you see drum line squats/dancing and angry guards. As with many, they scatter to sets and break the field with storytelling props. I could recognized the story with just the low-hanging fruit of the William Tell, but they found it necessary to add the horse gates. (Disclaimer: I'm not picking on Crown. Their use of "Slo-mo" in the photo-finish, along with the heartbeat bass drum, was brilliant. A very enjoyable music book. But did you notice that Cadets used slo-mo this year? To an extreme, that could be an example of what I'm referring to.)

I could go on, H, but I'll challenge you to go watch 2010 videos with an eye towards finding the similarities among design and execution. It's all over the place.

Again, I'll use Madison, 2011 as an example (and I'm no honk for Madison; they were my hotdog corps for many, many years). This year they told a powerful story and the extent of their props was a newspaper (that many around here debated for weeks, wondering what the headlines were). Their story was told with their music and drill (didn't you see the towers falling? Didn't you feel refreshed, renewed by ESOM?) Their show was as impactful on me as was my favorite, the Cadets.

Take Cavies last year. Had they not told you "This is my rifle..." would the music and drill told you that theme anyway? The use of props to portray the storyline is as bad as needing a libretto to understand the show. And it's endemic in FTL. The simulated "emotions" of the corps during the show wasn't an enhancement to the music; rather, without it, the show wouldn't have made sense. (Similar disclaimer to Cavies. I still pay lots of money to see them perform.)

Blue Stars last year, one of my favorite shows of the year. The music was beautiful. The guard in straight jackets was perfect. But the fake "emotions" exhibited physically by the corps was a huge distraction, IMO. The show sold itself on the music alone and it didn't need the corps MM's acting as "emotion props". Their drill was beautifully designed but they did plenty of jazz-running or jogging into place throughout the show.

I could go on but I won't. I'll challenge you, instead, to go watch some of last years' shows with an eye towards their similarities.

You just don't see that in 2011. Yes, there was some, granted. But, IMO, considerably less than 2010.

As I said, individuality seems again in vogue. I didn't say all the corps have been cured yet.

G,

I'm afraid I'm with Glory here buddy......you are nearly heroic in your effort to make the argument but it is so much of a "stretch" that I feel you're dragging us though a worm hole! Look, I get the sentiment....we are all pleased with the kind of shows this year and the general attitude and numbers of the crowd. That's a given. But when you break it down there really was only one (so called) violator in previous years. Saying that the Bluecoats are an example of abandoning their own musical style while coming out of a record year in 2010 of near hysteria about them....is laughable (it was a record for them, G). Who elso is on your little list here, Cavies, Madison, Blue Stars.....OMG, it just doesn't make any sense....and I'm really leaning into it, trying to see your points. Your pole vaulting over mouse turds!

Just for clarification, let's recap: The thread (tongue in cheek or otherwise) states that we should all be thankful to M.C. for saving Drum Corps....for turning it off of its path of self-destruction. OK? That sounds like the weather channel this last weekend! :rolleyes:

And your examples are specious at best.....and IMO don't remotely reflect the "huge difference" between the supposed old and supposed new.

Finally, I bolded this statement of yours for one reason.....irony......you appear to be celebrating non-similarity but you lead the charge when BD puts (what many feel) is the most non-similar show ever on the field in 2010 (both musically and visually). They were off the charts and completely unique.....so what was similar about it? And who the hell was copying them? In short, the only thing missing in your "group think" argument was the group. In fact, as I have mentioned many times before, only two corps may have bought in to some of the parts of what BD was doing to win....CC and Cavies....period!!!!! Although one could argue that SCV was dabbling this year.

Maybe M.C. or Boo can find what you're looking for here, some of us in this thread just don't see it. I gave you my explanation....evidently it's not enough! You see a Category 3 Hurricane and I see a dust devil :bluedevil: !

G,

Maybe M.C. or Boo can find what you're looking for here, some of us in this thread just don't see it. I gave you my explanation....evidently it's not enough! You see a Category 3 Hurricane and I see a dust devil :bluedevil: !

This is an auto-reply: I am out rotating my tires and am unable to respond at this moment. I will then be having my chakras rebalanced, followed by having my aura waxed. When I achieve metaphysical enlightenment and appropriately rotated tire nirvana, I will catch up on my Internet responsibilities. Until then, please enjoy the roasted red pepper hummus in the refrigerator, along with the Tuscan herb pita chips that you'll find on the kitchen countertop.

Get off my lawn