Suggest some of your favorite "dark" shows for me....

I'm a pretty big corps fan (although surely not as big as some of you folks), but unfortunately I simply do not have the time nor the patience to listen to as many shows as I'd like every year. I was hoping some of you more seasoned fans could give me some suggestions for shows that meet the criteria below. I'm interested in audio only.

The main thing I'm looking for is shows that are musically "dark." I like a lot of different types of music, but my favorite corps shows have always been the darker ones. I don't necessarily mean thematically dark (although that's fine too), but dark in terms of musical composition. Minor chord progressions, ambient low tones, that sort of thing. If the show has aggressive, driving percussion behind the brass, that's even better (though I'm open to excellent musical shows even if the percussion isn't anything to write home about). I'm mostly interested in stuff from top 12 corps, although if you have any favorites outside of that group, feel free to throw them my way.

I wasn't in high school until 1999, so I'd love to hear about any shows before that especially. I have a few shows from before then, but not many Also, anything since about 2007 would be great, as I've been paying less attention to the repertoires in recent years. But even if you have suggestions from 2000-2007 that aren't listed below, feel free to let me know.

Since my criteria have been fairly vague and open-ended so far, her'e's a list of some of my favorite shows with something of a darker tone:

-Cavs 00, 06, 11

-Cadets 05

-BD 00, 07

-SCV 89, 00

-Phantom 96, 08

Would love to hear any of your suggestions. Thanks.

-

Blue Devils 1995 "Carpe Noctem"

Blue Knights 1996 "Dark Knights" and 1997 "Dark Dances"

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 1

If you like Cavs 00 and 06, you might like parts of 04 and mayyybe 02-03. A lot of the ballads in that era for the Cavs have a similar sound to them (figures, as they have the same people writing/arranging them)

But I guess if you've seen 00 and 06, you've probably seen those.

If not.....*whispers* Google Videos is your friend when it comes to finding full show recordings from past years. */whispers*

I'm a pretty big corps fan (although surely not as big as some of you folks), but unfortunately I simply do not have the time nor the patience to listen to as many shows as I'd like every year. I was hoping some of you more seasoned fans could give me some suggestions for shows that meet the criteria below. I'm interested in audio only.

The main thing I'm looking for is shows that are musically "dark." I like a lot of different types of music, but my favorite corps shows have always been the darker ones. I don't necessarily mean thematically dark (although that's fine too), but dark in terms of musical composition. Minor chord progressions, ambient low tones, that sort of thing. If the show has aggressive, driving percussion behind the brass, that's even better (though I'm open to excellent musical shows even if the percussion isn't anything to write home about). I'm mostly interested in stuff from top 12 corps, although if you have any favorites outside of that group, feel free to throw them my way.

I wasn't in high school until 1999, so I'd love to hear about any shows before that especially. I have a few shows from before then, but not many Also, anything since about 2007 would be great, as I've been paying less attention to the repertoires in recent years. But even if you have suggestions from 2000-2007 that aren't listed below, feel free to let me know.

Since my criteria have been fairly vague and open-ended so far, her'e's a list of some of my favorite shows with something of a darker tone:

-Cavs 00, 06, 11

-Cadets 05

-BD 00, 07

-SCV 89, 00

-Phantom 96, 08

Would love to hear any of your suggestions. Thanks.

-

BD '95

Carpe Noctem - Buleria (from Jazz Pana) * Conquistador Amazon * Coronation of the Dead Queen (mvt 4 of The Legend of Alcobaca) * Ines (Second Movement of The Legend of Alcobaca) * No Heroes * Commencement (from Adventures in Time) Amazon * Caribe (from One More Once) * Day Danse Amazon * Dom Pedro's Revenge (5th Movement of The Legend of Alcobaca)

Freelancers '90

Main Title from Batman Amazon * Clown Attack (from Batman) Amazon * The Penitent Man Will Pass (from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade) * Into the Trap (from Return of the Jedi) * The Keeper of the Grail (from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade) * Descent into Mystery (from Batman) Amazon * Finale (from Batman) Amazon

Phantom '93

The Modern Imagination - The Landworkers (From Estancia Ballet) * The Wheat Dance (From Estancia Ballet) * Danza Final (From Estancia Ballet) * The Fire of Eternal Glory (from Novorossisk Chimes) * Death Hunt (from On Dangerous Ground)

Cavaliers '93

Heroes, A Symphonic Trilogy (Journey..Conflict.. Triumph) - The Symphonic Cantata * Heroes, Lost and Fallen * Morning Alleluias (for the Winter Solstice)

Phantom '94

Songs for a Summer Night - Ritual Fire Dance (from El Amor Brujo) * Suite Bergamasque (Claire De Lune) Amazon * Talking Drums (from White Witch Doctor) * North by Northwest * Death Hunt (from On Dangerous Ground)

Cavaliers '94

Rituals - Sensemaya * Humming Chorus (from Ivan the Terrible) Amazon * War Dance (from Belkis, Queen of Sheba) Amazon * Church Windows, Movement II * March (from Symphonic Metamorphosis) Amazon

SCV '96

La Mer - La Mer 1st Movement * Oceans * The Skyboat (from Waterworld) Amazon * La Mer 3rd Movement

SCV '97

Fog City Sketches - A Lonely Street * The Cities Edge (from On the Waterfront) * City Dreams (from On the Waterfront) * A Day in the Park (from Age of Anxiety - Age of Anxiety (Symphony No 2) Amazon * The Golden Gate (from Age of Anxiety)Age of Anxiety- Symphony No 2) Amazon * Fog City Sketches

Cavaliers '97

The Firebird - Introduction to Rite of Spring * Berceuse (from The Firebird Suite) * Carrilon (from The Firebird Suite) * Retinue (from The Firebird Suite) * Infernal Dance (from the Firebird Suite) * Finale (from the Firebird Suite)

Glassmen '97

The Age of Gold: The Music of Georges Bizet - Scene and Variations * Changing of the Guard (from Carmen) Amazon * Intermezzo - The Mountain Pass * Farandole Amazon

Glassmen '98

Dreams of Gold: The Music of Alexander Borodin - Asia Fantasia * Prince Igor Overture Amazon * Notturno - String Quartet No. 2 in D Major * Kismet Suite * Polovetsian Dances (from Prince Igor)

SCV '99

Inventions for a New Millennium - The Canyon * Symphony No. 2 Amazon * Symphony No. 1 Amazon * Blue Shades

Glassmen '99

Empire of Gold - Symphony No. 1 * Variations on a Hungarian Folk Song (The Peacock) Amazon * Entrance of the Emperor and His Court (from the Hary Janos Suite)

Cavaliers '89

Gloria - Gloria - Andante and Allegro Vivace * Images Diabolique * Gloria - Vivace E Ritmico ( Light and Dark in one show)

Cavaliers '88

Firebird Suite Amazon ( My Favorite Firebird and better than the newer version. Very dark show too)

SCV '88

Phantom of The Opera - Music of the Night (from Phantom of The Opera) Amazon * Angel of Music (from Phantom of The Opera) Amazon * Phantom of the Opera (from Phantom of The Opera) Amazon * Masquerade (from Phantom of The Opera) Amazon * Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again (from Phantom of The Opera) Amazon * Track Down This Murderer (from Phantom of The Opera) Amazon * All I Ask Of You (from Phantom of the Opera) Amazon

Star '88 ** THE HURRICANE is a pretty dark piece for sure **

Porgy and Bess - Overture (from Porgy and Bess) Amazon * I Can't Sit Down (from Porgy and Bess) Amazon * Summertime (from Porgy and Bess) * The Hurricane (from Porgy and Bess) Amazon * Bess, You Is My Woman Now (from Porgy and Bess) Amazon * Oh, Lord, I'm On My Way (from Porgy and Bess) Amazon

Suncoast Sounds '88

Symphonic Dances for the Contemporary Child - Red and Yellow, Black and White * This is the Way We.. * Wait 'Till Your Father Gets Home * WAR * For Yesterday's Child

Cavaliers '87

Festival Variations * Variations on a Korean Folk Song * Liturgical Dances

Edited by jjeffeory

Phantom 93, 00, 06

Bluecoats 07, 10

Pacific Crest 2000-2002, 2004, and 2008.

Southwind 06

Blue Knights 07, 08(had the words dark in them).

Spirit 08, 11

SCV 97, 00

Star Of Inidiana 93

Glassmen 11

• Like 1

An often over-looked show and one of my favorites... 1985 Phantom- Symphonie Fantastique

Gotta echo the others and vote for BD 95. Love that show.

Edit: also Colts 99. Can't get darker than Dies Irae.

Edited by gimpy

- Go to the site that shall not be named

- Look up Troopers front ensemble 2011

- Click on the second video

Now there's a dark show for you.

• Like 1