2012 show ideas

Would love to see cavaliers pay some homage their 2004 program and have 2012 be music from the "Incredibles" by Michael Giacchino. That would be EPIC.

Crown playing music from LotR would be pretty sweet as well.

• Like 1

I've actually had this in my head for a while: a show about alchemy. I doubt many of you have ever watched the anime called Fullmetal Alchemist (it does NOT have "Brotherhood" in the name, that's just a spinoff series), but if you get a chance go to "that site" and listen to some of the music (especially "Bratja") or watch some episodes. It's nothing like you've ever seen before. There are also many striking symbols from the series that were once used in real-life alchemy and would make memorable formations on the field. DCP isn't letting me post images right now, but search for images of transmutation circles or use the name of the anime.

In my opinion, this show seems like a natural fit for either Phantom or Boston.

Edited by MetalTones2012

I'd love to see the Blue Devils do an all Mingus show, especially if they arranged it straight, just song, song, song, song. Maybe start with Haitian Fight Song, then Moanin', then Goodbye Pork Pie Hat right into Boogie Stop Shuffle.

It'd also be great to get more musicals on the field again. Madison could totally pull off South Pacific--maybe they should leave out "I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Outta My Hair" though.

• Like 2

Good topic: My humble opinions:

I think there is more to mine from Copland. I would like to hear the Cadets or SCV do El Salon Mexico. His 3rd Symphony also presents opportunity because the Cadet's arrangement was way off the mark.

I agree that Shostakovich offers big opportunities. Symph. No 10 has great moments. The BK arrangement was accurate, but it's time for Phantom to do it.

John Adams has lots of room for exploration.

Concert Band pieces have lots of room for exploration, e.g Percy Grainger and successors.

I think jazz has nore limitations because Buddy Rich and Stan Kenton have been done to death. Has anyone considered Toshiko Akyoshi, Maria Schneider, etc.?

Kevin Doherty

Interesting. I thought the Cadets arrangement in 1988 was fantastic. Also, Phantom has played Sym No. 10 - in 2002. Also Boston played in in 2010. I think it is time to give that piece a rest.

Phantom should do symphony Fantasique.

Oh god, I hope they do it.

They did that in '85, I think, and the music was fantastic! http://www.regiment.org/pastprograms.cfm

They have a sample of the music on their page.

I'm not sure how they could play the music without watering down the visual, or how they could march a modern visual without watering down the music.

Would be great though!

I just want the Scouts to do some Latin tunes again...

• Like 3

Phantom or Crown presents:

"One Ring to Rule Them All: The Music of The Lord of the Rings"

Sounds good to me, as long as it's Johan de Meij LOTR symphony rather than Howard Shore's film score.

• Like 1