Now That Soloists are Plugged-in

Put microphones on a bodhran, a penny whistle, and some bones, then leave all of those archaic horns and marching drums in their cases, and then have all of the field performers Celtic Dance on a revolving stage. Yep, that is what makes for a great Drum & Bugle Corps performance!!!

• Like 2

Should every single corps have exactly the same instrumentation?

To the extent that all symphony orchestras should have the same string/wind/percussion instrumentation; yes. Otherwise the ensemble is no longer a symphony orchestra, or in this case a drum & bugle corps. It is fine for a symphony, or a drum corps, to use peripheral items outside the norm to enhance the whole as long as the rules allow for such items. However, when the "prominence of focus" turns a symphony, or a drum corps, into a rock band with electric guitars, a wind ensemble (with woodwinds), or an Indonesian Gamelan ensemble, then the unit is no longer a Symphony or a Drum Corps but something entirely different.

• Like 2

To the extent that all symphony orchestras should have the same string/wind/percussion instrumentation; yes. Otherwise the ensemble is no longer a symphony orchestra, or in this case a drum & bugle corps. It is fine for a symphony, or a drum corps, to use peripheral items outside the norm to enhance the whole as long as the rules allow for such items. However, when the "prominence of focus" turns a symphony, or a drum corps, into a rock band with electric guitars, a wind ensemble (with woodwinds), or an Indonesian Gamelan ensemble, then the unit is no longer a Symphony or a Drum Corps but something entirely different.

This is more of what I am talking about... not talking about marching concert french horns, trombones and penny whistles.... not the meat.. just a bit of variety in the seasoning.

• Like 2

It is my understanding that this is currently against the rules....I think the brass instrumentation is any key, valved and bell front........(this is to prevent the said instruments from entering the field)....I know this is how it went down when they allowed any key in 2000. I don't think its changed since then.

To the extent that all symphony orchestras should have the same string/wind/percussion instrumentation; yes. Otherwise the ensemble is no longer a symphony orchestra

Yet even then, there are incredible deviations in instrumentation with symphony orchestras. You have some with period instruments (which can be vastly different from modern ones), some with particular takes on the status quo (take Vienna's horns, for example), and of course groups who adjust orchestration to make performances more practical (how often do you hear ophicleide instead of tuba in Berlioz?).

These groups all do these things with one ultimate goal in mind: to achieve the sound they want.

I have absolutely no problem with a drum corps doing the same thing, and I actually encourage it. Trombones and French horns would add a welcome sound to the current drum corps sound-palette.

• Like 3

It is my understanding that this is currently against the rules....I think the brass instrumentation is any key, valved and bell front........(this is to prevent the said instruments from entering the field)....I know this is how it went down when they allowed any key in 2000. I don't think its changed since then.

Well, if the french horn player's back is to the audience, the bell is front. smile.gif

• Like 3