Now That Soloists are Plugged-in

I think there should be an eventual rock component that is required of each drum corps...

Sorry, but I do not think that many people who loved the Blue Knights show this year would want to hear Folk Song Suite done as a Hooked on Classics Rock Back Beat.

Do you have any indication that drum corps is moving beyond limited rock genre instrumentation? I'm guessing not.

Who cares what Joe DCP wants for the instrumentation? It's the corps who decides, and there's nothing to suggest the hyperbole suggested here.

> Do you have any indication that drum corps is moving beyond limited rock genre instrumentation? I'm guessing not.

You are missing my point; as soon as woodwinds, for example, are added as "primary" instruments the ensemble thus becomes a "Marching" band. If a stage is placed out on the fifty focusing in on a rock ensemble, and the corps is the back-up to that stage show, it thus becomes a rock concert not a drum corps show.

> Who cares what Joe DCP wants for the instrumentation?

The corps had better care because we buy the tickets and can eaisly stop buying them if we so choose.

> It's the corps who decides, and there's nothing to suggest the hyperbole suggested here.

The corps decide through the DCI rules changes, which are voted on by the member corps; and this is "not" hyperbole because there are many within DCI who would state that the advent of amps, electronics, electric guitars, electric violins, are completly changing drum corps into a vastly different genre.

> Do you have any indication that drum corps is moving beyond limited rock genre instrumentation? I'm guessing not.

You are missing my point; as soon as woodwinds, for example, are added as "primary" instruments the ensemble thus becomes a "Marching" band. If a stage is placed out on the fifty focusing in on a rock ensemble, and the corps is the back-up to that stage show, it thus becomes a rock concert not a drum corps show.

> Who cares what Joe DCP wants for the instrumentation?

The corps had better care because we buy the tickets and can easily stop buying them if we so choose.

> It's the corps who decides, and there's nothing to suggest the hyperbole suggested here.

The corps decide through the DCI rules changes, which are voted on by the member corps; and this is "not" hyperbole because there are many within DCI who would state that the advent of amps, electronics, electric guitars, electric violins, are completly changing drum corps into a vastly different genre.

1. I got your point, it's just not a very good one. I don't see how staging implies the importance of an instrument group. Seems like a flawed perspective.

2. Threats of leaving due to instrumentation? Really? Short-sighted much?

3. There are many who think it wouldn't either. It seems like many people on DCP think that if many people agree with their opinion that it makes their opinion that much more meaningful. Not really.

May i step in a suggest something?

Drum corps has a certain spirit about it rich with tradition. While there has been a lot of changes made since DCI's conception, drum corps still has, at least for a few more years, its root characteristics. Should more drastic things happen like this idea? I say no! If there is such a push to "enhance" drum corps in such a way, then leave my old school drum corps alone, and start another circuit where drum corps face can be drastically altered, but the way DCI is, leave it alone! When someone said that there needs to be drastic changes to the NFL, they started the AFL, when someone said boxing and wrestling wasnt working anymore, they started UFC, when basketball wasnt enough, they started Slamball and StreetBall, when classical musicians began to be bored with old material, they joined POPS orchestras. If you want DCI to change so much, start your own dang division, where electric violins, and trumpet playing robots are quite acceptable, but leave my drum corps alone! and if DCI dies out for being outdated, so be it, your electric corps may rule supreme, but let drum corps die with its integrity still intact. But do realize, that people still love the NFL, betting is still going on in Vegas for boxing, and the NBA, minus the strike, is still alive, and ill go to any Bach concert any day, I believe DCI will survive also...

No offense, but I think you have this exactly backwards.

I mean it's not as if space aliens suddenly dropped in and altered the natural course of events. No. On the contrary, this is the natural course of events. The changes y'all decry occurred from within naturally, not artificially. They were spawned by some of the activity's most-devoted and most-esteemed figures. Indeed there is an indisputable continuum of commitment and evolution from Jones and Warren to Zingali and Hoffman through Gibbs, Fiedler and Hopkins.

This is backwards in another way too. The onus isn't on the people doing drum corps to be honest to tradition arbitrarily. They aren't and they shouldn't be beholden to observe the standards sent in from the stands and beyond. No. By virtue of their investment in drum corps, they get to uphold tradition as they see fit. Those in the stands with better ideas are obliged to invest themselves if they want to set the agenda.

HH

• Like 2

Edited by TastyWaves

1. I got your point, it's just not a very good one. I don't see how staging implies the importance of an instrument group. Seems like a flawed perspective.

2. Threats of leaving due to instrumentation? Really? Short-sighted much?

3. There are many who think it wouldn't either. It seems like many people on DCP think that if many people agree with their opinion that it makes their opinion that much more meaningful. Not really.

1. The issue is not the importance of an instrument group, it's the emphasis of the instrument group. The Cadets' staged NPR interview became the emphasis of the show and distracted from the instruments forced to march around it. Focusing the attention on a stationary stage and having the corps march around it deflects attention away from the corps.

2. After you've been here a while you'll begin to see that those who threaten to leave over instrumentation have been involved with drum corps for many years, sometimes for decades. They have reached their line in the sand at a particular point, but that doesn't reflect short-sightedness at all and, instead, it usually reflects age, experience, and a personal point of no return. Your short-sighted comment is truly short-sided.

3. Straw-man argument by definition. "Many" people is not countable even in DCP land, let alone countable out in the general fan base. Many people agreeing on an opinion doesn't mean it's more important as an issue to those saying it, but "many" people sharing a position is a bigger wheel which, presumably, has a bigger squeak. That you don't share the opinion doesn't make the opinion less valid either.

If you want a rock concert, then go see a rock concert and leave drum corps alone. Your encouragement for more rock and roll is as impactful as the "many" opinions you easily dismiss.

IMO, of course.

• Like 3

May i step in a suggest something?

Drum corps has a certain spirit about it rich with tradition. While there has been a lot of changes made since DCI's conception, drum corps still has, at least for a few more years, its root characteristics. Should more drastic things happen like this idea? I say no! If there is such a push to "enhance" drum corps in such a way, then leave my old school drum corps alone, and start another circuit where drum corps face can be drastically altered, but the way DCI is, leave it alone! When someone said that there needs to be drastic changes to the NFL, they started the AFL, when someone said boxing and wrestling wasnt working anymore, they started UFC, when basketball wasnt enough, they started Slamball and StreetBall, when classical musicians began to be bored with old material, they joined POPS orchestras. If you want DCI to change so much, start your own dang division, where electric violins, and trumpet playing robots are quite acceptable, but leave my drum corps alone! and if DCI dies out for being outdated, so be it, your electric corps may rule supreme, but let drum corps die with its integrity still intact. But do realize, that people still love the NFL, betting is still going on in Vegas for boxing, and the NBA, minus the strike, is still alive, and ill go to any Bach concert any day, I believe DCI will survive also...

The whole point behind the creation of DCI is what you are arguing against. In the old VFW/AL days, they had the strict binding rules. Some thought it hindered creativity and wanted to do more things, so they left and formed DCI. Now you want DCI to turn itself into the old VFW? Probably not gonna happen. You can be as upset as you want to be about what you are seeing and hearing, but I see this the other way. I say if you want to see an activity that stagnates,and is completely closed to change, then you go start something. Better yet, there are other facets of drum corps out there that are more styled in the past and maintain those standards. They are great so why not go check that out? Alumni corps, DCA, Military units all still have drum corps which has not taken DCI's path of evolution. They chose to do drum corps one way and thats great.

DCI was formed by people who wanted to see the activity change and evolve, not stand still. Is every change great? No. And I dont think anyone ever claimed it was. But they wanted the right to explore things and take chances. I personally cant imagine going by the 1970 rules anymore. I doubt I would still be as big of a fan as I am now. I have favorite shows from many different decades and I love the fact that they are all so different while still having the traits that truly define drum corps above and beyond the choice of instrumentation. Passion, precision, dedication, excellence, and the fact that amazing things are being accomplished by our youth.

Some of my favorite shows didnt have a pit. Some had marching timpani and some were grounded. Some had tri toms and some have sextets. Some had uniform changes, dramatic acting, different guard equipment other than sabre/rifle/flag. Some had 60 members like Southwind in 92 and some have 150 members like the 2011 Cadets. Some now have singing, dancing, voice over, and electronic sounds. I cant wait to see what they have in 2022!

Is ARE there any drum corps calling for a primary instrumentation of what you said is a rock band? No. They just want to explore the options, like they have been doing since the beginning of drum corps.

I swear, the weakest argumentative tool seems to be hyperbole.

Followed in close second to poor grammar...

Just sayin'...

Do you have any indication that drum corps is moving beyond limited rock genre instrumentation? I'm guessing not.

Who cares what Joe DCP wants for the instrumentation? It's the corps who decides, and there's nothing to suggest the hyperbole suggested here.

That's right! Who cares! Even when the stands are empty, or filled with kids who borrowed from their strapped parents to buy tickets (let them borrow more for souvies!) THAT"S RIGHT! WE DON'T GIVE A D-A-M-N WHAT THE FANS THINK THEY WANT!

"New Coke"

Followed in close second to poor grammar...

Just sayin'...

When you have no argument, attack the grammar. lol. Glad to see the ole' back-up is still alive!

Its almost as D-bag-ish as people who think they are saying something really clever and follow it up with a snappy "Just Sayin'".

Its like middle school facebook.

• Like 1