Now That Soloists are Plugged-in

Followed in close second to poor grammar...

Just sayin'...

Wouldn't it depend on if the context of the reference was to drum corps as singular vs. plural? Isn't the term drum corps able to be used as both singular and plural (not drum corpses)?

Genuinely asking... my english absolutely sucks.

Edited by danielray

When you have no argument, attack the grammar. lol. Glad to see the ole' back-up is still alive!

Its almost as D-bag-ish as people who think they are saying something really clever and follow it up with a snappy "Just Sayin'".

Its like middle school facebook.

(Oomph! A left cross to the cheek.)

The "Ole' back-up" is proper grammar? Proper grammar never left, it's just easily forgetten out of laziness. Hard to make a compelling argument without it.

Just sayin'.

Never been on middle school Facebook, but you apparently have spent time there. I suspect it's where you picked up an acceptance of poor grammar.

Just sayin'.

:tongue:

• Like 2

Wouldn't it depend on if the context of the reference was to drum corps as singular vs. plural? Isn't the term drum corps able to be used as both singular and plural (not drum corpses)?

Genuinely asking... my english absolutely sucks.

Yes! Certainly. However in the case of the singular it would be inappropiate to use the plural "any" instead of the singular "a". "Is there a...", or "Are there any...".

Good catch, though.

Mouth harp? Pan-flute? Penny whistle? There is an endless list of things that can be used to add different textures, and more interesting to add some of these with actual instruments, rather than just a sample.

Also, it could be interesting to see some more exploration of of eastern and african percussion... tabla could be pretty cool, for example.

What other possibilities are out there?

This thought is interestingly ironic when it's put in context with the two corps this last season who, despite having chime trees in the pit, chose to pump chime samples through the amps. :blink:

So now we sample chimes so the player can play a penny whistle? I'm confused...

I'm a drummer, so adding anything you can physically bang on adds "texture" to the show, IMO. Kodo drummers, wheel hubs, hollow logs, or propane gas containers all added nice textures.

Twisting baritone input into new warbling sounds...meh, not so much.

Kazoos are my line in the sand, though. :tongue:

(now expecting a pic of a kazoo band from Mike Boo. 3...2...1...)

Edited by garfield

That's right! Who cares! Even when the stands are empty, or filled with kids who borrowed from their strapped parents to buy tickets (let them borrow more for souvies!) THAT"S RIGHT! WE DON'T GIVE A D-A-M-N WHAT THE FANS THINK THEY WANT!

"New Coke"

Glad we agree on this matter!!!

Yes! Certainly. However in the case of the singular it would be inappropiate to use the plural "any" instead of the singular "a". "Is there a...", or "Are there any...".

Good catch, though.

Couldn't any be used in any in the context of an ask... like:

"Is there any corps calling for a ..... anyone? anyone? Bueller?"

Couldn't any be used in any in the context of an ask... like:

"Is there any corps calling for a ..... anyone? anyone? Bueller?"

"Isone? Isone? Bueller?"

"Is there a corps among the group of corps..." is the implied meaning of the singular version.

"Are there any corps among the group of corps..." is the plural.

Just use the same rule set of "I" and "me" and you'll be right most of the time. "Dan and I went..." is correct because "I went" is correct. "Dan and me went is not correct because "me went" is not correct. Same rule set (mostly, there are exceptions) for "is" and "are".

It's just my opinion but with the way a french horn sound works, much of its beauty is lost when played outside. No other brass instrument plays with reverb and harmonics the way a horn does. I used to see many horn solos at MB contests and they would all sound like crap. A trombone I could live with.

It's just my opinion but with the way a french horn sound works, much of its beauty is lost when played outside. No other brass instrument plays with reverb and harmonics the way a horn does. I used to see many horn solos at MB contests and they would all sound like crap. A trombone I could live with.

This is why the soloist would be enclosed in a plexiglass cube and amp'd. :)