Drum Corps Virtual

In thinking of some ways in which the Fan Network could be extended in ways that could be more interactive, inclusive of more corps and even bridge gaps internationally... I started to think about the idea of virtual competitions... on essentially a virtual circuit that is parallel to the physical DCI circuit.

In this model, corps in competition would not be limited to simply corps that were at a particular show. Video performances of different events (within 48 hours of each other) would be combined into a single virtual event and adjudicated by a virtual panel. Individual corps not attending a show on the DCI schedule during that time period could submit video according to a set of guidelines for quality and camera positioning, etc.

This would not only allow cost conscious corps with a more limited tour to get better feedback and see how they stack up against other corps closer their level earlier on, it would allow groups internationally to compete in a virtual circuit without travelling to the US. The ability to instantly add dozens of international corps in head-to-head competition with US corps could really be a cool thing for kids in corps overseas.

In addition to the panel scores, fans can also fill out their own sheets for each corps, creating an aggregate fan score in addition to the judges score.

This option could stimulate Fan Network subscriptions by making the experience more interactive and giving fans a unique opportunity to participate in a way they could not with simply watching bootleg videos.

While the model definitely has some limitations and imperfections in regards to effective judging (there would definitely need to be a smaller modified panel for virtual), the concept could really add an additional layer of engagement for the Fan Network.

• Like 4

In thinking of some ways in which the Fan Network could be extended in ways that could be more interactive, inclusive of more corps and even bridge gaps internationally... I started to think about the idea of virtual competitions... on essentially a virtual circuit that is parallel to the physical DCI circuit.

In this model, corps in competition would not be limited to simply corps that were at a particular show. Video performances of different events (within 48 hours of each other) would be combined into a single virtual event and adjudicated by a virtual panel. Individual corps not attending a show on the DCI schedule during that time period could submit video according to a set of guidelines for quality and camera positioning, etc.

This would not only allow cost conscious corps with a more limited tour to get better feedback and see how they stack up against other corps closer their level earlier on, it would allow groups internationally to compete in a virtual circuit without travelling to the US. The ability to instantly add dozens of international corps in head-to-head competition with US corps could really be a cool thing for kids in corps overseas.

In addition to the panel scores, fans can also fill out their own sheets for each corps, creating an aggregate fan score in addition to the judges score.

This option could stimulate Fan Network subscriptions by making the experience more interactive and giving fans a unique opportunity to participate in a way they could not with simply watching bootleg videos.

While the model definitely has some limitations and imperfections in regards to effective judging (there would definitely need to be a smaller modified panel for virtual), the concept could really add an additional layer of engagement for the Fan Network.

Sounds like a great concept if it were fine-tuned properly. My only concern would be that the video and audio quality would have to be extremely high quality in order to properly be judged. If corps were to set it up so that there are a set of cameras that the percussion judge watched, one for visual ensemble, etc etc. Also would be hard to know how to judge these scores against shows that are judged live. Props to you on a cool idea though :thumbup:

My only concern would be that the video and audio quality would have to be extremely high quality in order to properly be judged.

This, and also it wouldn't come close to feeling the same. Sure for judging purposes it would be fine, but the live drum corps experience is what this activity is all about. Without the musicians right in front of you the audience would be better off seeing a musical or the Philharmonic, and without an audience to perform for and get applause from or the excitement of tour the performers would be better off playing in a concert band or playing a "normal" sport. Make it virtual, and everything that's great about drum corps is gone.

Edited by MetalTones2012

And then again probably not.

• Like 1

This, and also it wouldn't come close to feeling the same. Sure for judging purposes it would be fine, but the live drum corps experience is what this activity is all about. Without the musicians right in front of you the audience would be better off seeing a musical or the Philharmonic, and without an audience to perform for and get applause from or the excitement of tour the performers would be better off playing in a concert band or playing a "normal" sport. Make it virtual, and everything that's great about drum corps is gone.

Corps would still be performing for people... this is just something to augment the performance, where corps not at the same show have the ability to go head-to-head with each other, if even in a limited way.

I do agree that video doesn't provide the even near the same experience as in person... but... it does provide a way to engage fans.

On that topic... this season I hooked my niece up with a Fan Network subscription. Of the 250+ kids in her school's marching band program, not one other kid had a subscription to the Fan Network. The feedback that it was too expensive for these kids.

This sub-segment has the greatest potential interest in the Fan Network and is also of the greatest long-term interest to DCI, but the FN is currently priced out of reach for this segment.

Solution:

Offer a low-entry, sponsored version of the Fan Network for High School students (from free to under $20). This is available only through their band director, for programs that have registered for this with DCI. This segment of the Fan Network would receive regular sponsored show updates via e-mail and social media and access to exclusive sponsored content that is tailored to this segment. This could help strengthen the connection with this segment of the Fan Base.

Daily engagement of this youth segment over the course of an entire summer is VALUABLE. There is a way to make money here.

• Like 4

Corps would still be performing for people... this is just something to augment the performance, where corps not at the same show have the ability to go head-to-head with each other, if even in a limited way.

I do agree that video doesn't provide the even near the same experience as in person... but... it does provide a way to engage fans.

On that topic... this season I hooked my niece up with a Fan Network subscription. Of the 250+ kids in her school's marching band program, not one other kid had a subscription to the Fan Network. The feedback that it was too expensive for these kids.

This sub-segment has the greatest potential interest in the Fan Network and is also of the greatest long-term interest to DCI, but the FN is currently priced out of reach for this segment.

Solution:

Offer a low-entry, sponsored version of the Fan Network for High School students (from free to under $20). This is available only through their band director, for programs that have registered for this with DCI. This segment of the Fan Network would receive regular sponsored show updates via e-mail and social media and access to exclusive sponsored content that is tailored to this segment. This could help strengthen the connection with this segment of the Fan Base.

Daily engagement of this youth segment over the course of an entire summer is VALUABLE. There is a way to make money here.

I think you are definitely on to something there. I know while I was in high school, I let whoever was interested in it use my FN account for the same reasons you are stating. It has driven more interest towards DCI, along with the fact that our director marched. I think we would see a drastic jump in FN subscribers if a lower price option was offered.

And then again probably not.

Correct answer I think but it doesn't hurt to fantasize!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Solution:

I don't think virtual competitions will snag the youth. Lets keep your idea about the student rate fan network but think about other ways DCI can tailor to that demo that doesn't involve virtual competitions because I don't think that would be popular with kids. It's not interactive, all your doing is sitting there watching adults opinions of drum corps YouTube videos.... Boring!

There are already thousands of drum corps videos on YouTube for free and each of them don't have that many views (most I've seen is a couple 100,000 - 200,000 plus). So what makes you think turning it into a paid subscription will make more people watch? Especially kids?

You need something Completly interactive for the highschoolers to be interested.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

Solution:

I can't figure out why this post gets downgrades. :blink:/>

I don't see many others here coming up with ideas to ponder into something workable; mostly I see naysayers and couch-judges and couch-BOD members.

DanRay's ideas aren't all good, but I'd challenge someone to find a poster with more "sounds crazy, might work" brainstorming than he provides.

I love the idea of discounted FN subs for band kids. It would help drive those kids to local shows, like mine. :thumbup:/>

• Like 1