T. Andre Feagin New Brass Caption Head for The Academy

What body of water is Tempe on the coast of?

Town Lake?

Maybe I'm wrong on this, and I am sure I am to most.

But I am not sure that there is the need to for a great deal of hype because of this announcement.

I mean, he's a talented enough guy.

But what has he really done?

I have never really been that impressed with the things he's done.

Oh, and before I get totally attacked, I've marched, I've played under some incredible instructors, and I am a brass person.

Before I get the argument that I don't know what I'm talking about...

• Like 3

Maybe I'm wrong on this, and I am sure I am to most.

But I am not sure that there is the need to for a great deal of hype because of this announcement.

I mean, he's a talented enough guy.

But what has he really done?

I have never really been that impressed with the things he's done.

Oh, and before I get totally attacked, I've marched, I've played under some incredible instructors, and I am a brass person.

Before I get the argument that I don't know what I'm talking about...

Did you HEAR scv's hornline in 09? the improvement from 08 when he was not caption head? The sound of the hornline this year after he left? Witnessed his very passionate and intense teaching?

• Like 3

Did you HEAR scv's hornline in 09? the improvement from 08 when he was not caption head? The sound of the hornline this year after he left? Witnessed his very passionate and intense teaching?

Yeah, saw the show live a few times that summer. Were they better than '08, sure.

At the same time, I think people hold that show at a higher regard because it was a better designed show than in previous years, since '04 in my opinion, and it was also Appalachian Spring. Which is the type of piece that I think if anyone from the top 10 performed would be adored simply because of the piece, not necessarily the performance.

Again, just my educated thoughts and opinions.

Feel free though everyone to tell me how wrong I am...

Yeah, saw the show live a few times that summer. Were they better than '08, sure.

At the same time, I think people hold that show at a higher regard because it was a better designed show than in previous years, since '04 in my opinion, and it was also Appalachian Spring. Which is the type of piece that I think if anyone from the top 10 performed would be adored simply because of the piece, not necessarily the performance.

The brass did go from 8th to 3rd in one year, only .4 away from the Ott. That's a bit of a change for one year. And he is an amazing teacher. In '08, he took over the hornline for a week, and their brass score shot up almost two points. That's pretty rare if you ask me.

But the performance was very, very good from that corps. They could have performed Mary Had a Little Lamb, and still scored well in the brass department.

• Like 1

they had a great sound in 2010 as well, which wasn't an adored show. Actually, I hated it... but still the 2 of the best hornlines vanguard has had in the last 10 years along with 04 when they had Gino Capriani teaching them... yes the book they are playing helps but a good hornline is recognizable regardless of the repertoire...

if you didn't like them, that's fine. But I think most other people with trained ears like yourself would at least acknowledge the improvement in sound... the judges did as well. :)

not trying to tell you how 'wrong' you are. That's your opinion... and that's fine.. just giving you another perception/things to consider. chipper up!

• Like 1

In 2001 at the Opening Ceremonies of the DCI Championships, Frederick Fennell came up to the hornline block before we marched in. The stature of this man was incredibly small, but he was very intimidating.

We had the honor to make small talk with him, talk about whether he liked Japan, his obsession with Sousa, etc... when we started talking about young conductors he looked at a group of us (about 10 of us) standing in front of the horn block and said, "Tommy Feagin is one of the best conductors I've ever seen, regardless of age, he could be teaching and conducting any ensemble, anywhere."

Obviously, Tommy goes by Andre now.

Since we are talking about "your educated viewpoint"--- I figure I'd throw out a VERY educated viewpoint.

Moments later, we had the wonderful opportunity to play under Fennell... and then see him in an angry tirade. Some bozos decided to follow his conducting on the jumbotron instead of him personally... the delay from the drum majors caused a giant ensemble tear that basically ended in a full fledged melt down of america o'canada followed by a storming Fennell.

• Like 3

For the record I never said the hornline didn't improve, or if I did, I didn't mean that. I just don't think he's a miracle worker as it seems is teh opinion of some.

For the record I never said the hornline didn't improve, or if I did, I didn't mean that. I just don't think he's a miracle worker as it seems is teh opinion of some.

I don't know if he is a miracle worker or not, but I did stand right in front of the arc and watch him conduct App. Spring. I am no expert but I did march for seven years and have watched for 30 and I really do think that hornline was very special. I don't agree at all that fans perception is skewed as a result of the melancholy attached to the piece of music. I just think they were flat out that good. They reminded me so much of Phanton Regiment in 2003 - superb hornline without the benefit of a championship caliber visual program.

• Like 3