T. Andre Feagin New Brass Caption Head for The Academy

:doh:

You disagree re: 2003 PR?

Wow, I can't imagine anyone disagreeing with that sentiment. To each their own.

You disagree re: 2003 PR?

Wow, I can't imagine anyone disagreeing with that sentiment. To each their own.

I understand where he's coming from as there were individuals sticking out, but I believe the pure emotion and overrall musicality are what put the 2003 phantom hornline among some of the best.

ANYWAY. Back on topic.

I remember listening to SCV live beginning in 2006 and I seemed to get a little bit dulled with them around 2007-2008. I'm a brass guy and I ALWAYS listen and focus on brass. SCV's sound was great, but nothing really grabbed my attention, or made me go "wow!" Then 2009 comes around.

The pre-show (Mvt. 0) was awesome just by itself. I really like loud but the sound was so warm and colorful, i was sucked in already. Then came the show and I was digging that warm brass sound. Everything was nice, but nothing was really too loud (i love loud.) THEN CAME the impact in Mvt. 2 (Allegro) right before Mvt. 3 (chorale and shaker theme) and man. TALK ABOUT IN YOUR FACE.

AHHH i talked about SCV too much and diverted away from the topic.

My point is that if Andre Feagin was able to create THAT hornline during his first year, I see no reason to question his ability to make Academy's hornline like that, or even better.

.02 for today.

• Like 5

Andre Tommy Mr. Feagin is a fantastic musician and educator. I can't wait to hear Academy next year!

On a sidenote, I see that the percussion caption head resigned. Any news there? What about guard (which I thought was their real problem...)?

Eh, their brass will be even better than before, but brass has never been Academy's problems. Increasing a caption they are already rocking may not be enough to break that top 12 barrier, though I'd love to see Academy in the Saturday show.

Get Todd Ryan over there and then we'll see a Top 12 Academy for sure!

Todd Ryan can recruit guard members?

In 2001 at the Opening Ceremonies of the DCI Championships, Frederick Fennell came up to the hornline block before we marched in. The stature of this man was incredibly small, but he was very intimidating.

We had the honor to make small talk with him, talk about whether he liked Japan, his obsession with Sousa, etc... when we started talking about young conductors he looked at a group of us (about 10 of us) standing in front of the horn block and said, "Tommy Feagin is one of the best conductors I've ever seen, regardless of age, he could be teaching and conducting any ensemble, anywhere."

Obviously, Tommy goes by Andre now.

Since we are talking about "your educated viewpoint"--- I figure I'd throw out a VERY educated viewpoint.

Moments later, we had the wonderful opportunity to play under Fennell... and then see him in an angry tirade. Some bozos decided to follow his conducting on the jumbotron instead of him personally... the delay from the drum majors caused a giant ensemble tear that basically ended in a full fledged melt down of america o'canada followed by a storming Fennell.

I have to tell you a great story when "Tommy" Andre auditioned for Drum Major "conductor" for the Regiment. I want to think it was the year after the Kristy/Jenny year.

Anyway, there were two conductors for PRC/Phantom Legion auditioning as well. I knew and supported both of them and was hoping either of them could get to at least a share of the podium. Then we all saw Andre conduct. After our collective jaws come off the floor, I walked over to the two conductors of PRC and wished them luck and reminding that all auditions are a great learning experience. I mean what was I going to say to them? Mr Feagin was/is one of the finest conductors I have ever seen in drum corps. Since 1968...one of the best ever. Easily top 5 of all time.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Calling it now: Academy makes Finals in 2012 :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Not only going to make finals but going to bust thru the doors at finals :P I'm calling the Biggest brass jump in the activity!

• Like 4

Maybe I'm wrong on this, and I am sure I am to most.

But I am not sure that there is the need to for a great deal of hype because of this announcement.

I mean, he's a talented enough guy.

But what has he really done?

I have never really been that impressed with the things he's done.

Oh, and before I get totally attacked, I've marched, I've played under some incredible instructors, and I am a brass person.

Before I get the argument that I don't know what I'm talking about...

He did so much for the UTEP band in just 2 years, that Nov. 1st is officially T. Andre Feagin Day in El Paso...

• Like 4