"Big Name" Staff

I think you are missing the point of the posts over on the Pioneer Thread. I believe that if Pioneer were to hire an ALL big name staff, that the cultural changes at the organization would eventually create a situation where people of greater talent would want to attend. Not just because of the staff... But because of what that staff does!

I wasn't missing the point, I was just curious as to Big Names with corps in general. It would be awesome if Pio were to do that. But, we know that it wont happen. This isn't Fantasy Drum Corps.

Well, it's a good thing you're not in any sector of education nor running the selection for a World Class corps then! :tongue:

In Your Opinion... But please let me remind you that 80% of achievement is reached by less than 20% of the population. If there were none that think like me, then all corps would get a feel good trophy and a pat on the behind and sent on their way... I personally thank god for DCI and the competition that exists within its structure. It does not reward under achievers and it does reward those who go for the brass ring. It is much like the real world where we send our kids... completely unprepared for its ruthlessness! So IMO... thank goodness that we are not all mamby pamby feel gooders like some here seem to be! :devil:

• Like 3

In Your Opinion... But please let me remind you that 80% of achievement is reached by less than 20% of the population. If there were none that think like me, then all corps would get a feel good trophy and a pat on the behind and sent on their way... I personally thank god for DCI and the competition that exists within its structure. It does not reward under achievers and it does reward those who go for the brass ring. It is much like the real world where we send our kids... completely unprepared for its ruthlessness! So IMO... thank goodness that we are not all mamby pamby feel gooders like some here seem to be! :devil:

And contrary to popular belief here on DCP... IT IS NOT BAD TO WANT TO WIN AND TO GO FOR IT!!!

• Like 8

Cowtown brings up a good point that a popular corps has said staff that is popular too. I may march say, Phantom (who has a pretty clear personality), but because I like the image that corps represents and the programs the corps puts out year to year.

And contrary to popular belief here on DCP... IT IS NOT BAD TO WANT TO WIN AND TO GO FOR IT!!!

Yeah, well, that's like, your opinion, man.

Edited by Dir_en_X
  • Like 1

Big Bad Bari: I agree with you more than you know. Participation awards are for the birds; Winners are in a special category because they earned it; If everyone is a winner no one is a winner; Life is hard and you must be tough to survive; etc... The thing is, at least in my world, I will always teach youth to emulate the competitive character of those like NASCAR driver Mark Martin, NBA star David Robinson, and NFL star Kurt Warner over any competitive person who believes not only that second place the first loser, but also believe those who do not finish first are nothing more than second class citizens! Humbleness and Respect from the winner is far better than what you seem to be preaching, IMO.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 2

I would say...absolutely...sort of.

I think there is a lot of truth in the statement about the average marcher not really being aware of staff name recognition and pedigree. They'll drift toward a corps based on what they saw at their local shows before deciding to march themselves.

But, the higher placing corps are mostly filled with members that marched somewhere else before they went ring chasing, staff chasing, or dream corps chasing. I marched with Sky Ryders for two years. When I started, I had no idea who Raplh Hardiman was. But after two years in Hutch it was VERY clear to me where I wanted to finish my marching days. My parents recognized the intrinsic value of drum corps so they would have sent me anywhere I wanted (and BLESS them for that). But, there was no question in my mind.

Attracting a big name absolutely makes a difference.

Take Paul rennick for example. He is clearly a big name now. When he had his first gig as caption head of a big corps (One that hada realiztic chance of winning) he was not a big name and was replacing a legend. He came in behind Tom Float and 1991's Devil line had a mass exodus. They still ended up being decent, but it was HUGELY affected by many of the vets leaving. Fast forward a couple of decades and Rennick is one of the top names in the business. He shows up now and the exact opposite happens. Vets show up by the plane load and the line is immediately better.

Although, I am sure that Rennick is a better educater in 2011 than he was 20 years ago. Talent like that plus 20 years of widom and experience is unmeasureable, but taking the 2011 line compared to the 1991 Devils line, the difference is purely name recogntion of Rennick. His name provided a sea of talent that allowed this years line to come out of the gate smoking in 2011.

At least that is my take on 1991 vs 2011. I saw the '91 Devils most every day as a member of 1991 SCV. 1991 was young and inexperienced, but they were were well educated by the end if the summer. 2011 SCV was salty on day One.

Edited by jplattSCV
  • Like 1

Your theory only holds true if your sole definition of achievement is winning.

Members can't control who wins and loses...they can only control the excellence of their performance. Now, often winning is a reward for group excellence (and it's fun when that happens).....but not always.

So, if excellence was achieved...but they didn't win, by your criteria is it still an achievement?

I say yes, so the person looking for, what they consider better educators and a better experience, more challenge, so that they can improve their own excellence...well, I'd take that over a kid who wants their score to be high enough to place in finals any day of the week.

so in life... which Fortune 500 company are you CEO of? Or are you just a "first loser" in life? BTW, hopefully if you are a CEO, that you are CEO of #1... otherwise you are just "first loser" again.

What about less talented individuals in a championship corps compared to more talented people in corps that did not win?

Hopefully you are proud of what BD achieved this year, and don't just hope that they all go home and be depressed because they didn't win and therefore were failures.

Edited by soccerguy315
  • Like 1

It's interesting that you point out that 80% of achievement is reached by less than 20% of the population because as a big bad bari from BD, without the 20% of your corps that are screaming trumpets you as a bari would be lumped in with the under-achievers you seem to despise.

No lead sops - no DCI rings for your over-achieving group. I know I'm going to hear it from my son who played contra in BD, but this brother the trumpet undoubtedly agrees.

• Like 3

so in life... which Fortune 500 company are you CEO of? Or are you just a "first loser" in life? BTW, hopefully if you are a CEO, that you are CEO of #1... otherwise you are just "first loser" again.

What about less talented individuals in a championship corps compared to more talented people in corps that did not win?

Hopefully you are proud of what BD achieved this year, and don't just hope that they all go home and be depressed because they didn't win and therefore were failures.

I have gotten blasted for pointing this out before (... come to think of it those doing the blasting were BD alum), but in my experience "most" who march BD end up having this second place is so d*** devastating belief structure combined with an air of arrogance that they are better than you because you marched an inferior corps. Whether it is "formally" taught by the BD staff or not is debatable, but it does exist within many of the performers/age-outs as shown by triple-B in his posting. I am all for winning along with the hard work and dedication it takes to achieve that status. And maybe they have secured the most rings; but give me great respectful character with a possibility of winning over that attitude with a probability of winning any day. Why? Because I care more about warm people than I do about a cold chunk of metal.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 4