BD: Get Rid Of The Tail

I was Quartermaster back in my LSU Band days and even designed a Gold version of the Blue Devils uniform that Tiger Band started wearing in 83.

Thats "gold ' ? REALLY ? Most of the rest of us down here call it "crawfish Fat Yellow" :tongue:

BD's new uniforms, with the open jacket and ruffled shirts, became the most copied uniform in the history of marching bands. I lost count of how many bands I saw after 1976 that were that style, but in a wide variety of different colors.

The VERY first time I saw a BD-style uni was my Sr year of high school (1981)....before I'd ever heard of drum corps.

Valhalla HS, and lemme tell you, looking back at it, an 80s BD jacket in orange with white pants and a white q-tip busbie does NOT look good!!

On the other hand, there was a school on the Jensen Publications album (remember those?) that had copied the 81 or so uni exactly, with the exception of putting "LP" on the drop sash. Lake Park HS, I think.

The VERY first time I saw a BD-style uni was my Sr year of high school (1981)....before I'd ever heard of drum corps.

Valhalla HS, and lemme tell you, looking back at it, an 80s BD jacket in orange with white pants and a white q-tip busbie does NOT look good!!

On the other hand, there was a school on the Jensen Publications album (remember those?) that had copied the 81 or so uni exactly, with the exception of putting "LP" on the drop sash. Lake Park HS, I think.

Ah...I remember the old Jensen LPs, (not to be confused with Lake Park). My favorite memories were the arrangement of "Decision 1980," consisting of the theme songs of the campaigns of Ronald Reagan and Ted Kennedy. (Someone made an oops there.) And then there was Jay Bocook's original composition, "Macho Nacho." (I kept hoping that one would make it into Cadets' "Angels and Demons" show.)

Remember the commercial success of Bocook's "Pictures at an Exhibition"? It opened up with two trumpets playing the "Promenade" theme. It was played so many times during the prelims of the Illinois State prelims that the audience started booing when bands later in the event that started playing it.

Edited by Michael Boo

the tails need to go.

NO they don't! :devil::tongue:

haha... oh my god. The plain ole idiocy of people who think a little scrap of fabric is gonna "hide dirt".

These arguments get funnier everytime.

Lets just face it though.... no matter what the Blue Devils do, there is a negative reason behind it.

If they change plume colors, it will be "to hide dirt" because Blue Devils are always SOOOOOO dirty, they just disguise it well.

Shoe color... Hides the dirt. One year they even went black and grey. You know why? It hid all of that AWFUL dirt!

I heard their food truck is serving applesauce next summer. You know why? because it hides dirt.

I dont know how intelligent grown up human beings can be this narrow and shortsighted just because of their corps allegiances.

I wasnt a huge Crown fan this summer, but I am not making ridiculous posts about how Flame graphics on drums are just there to distract your attention

from all of that dirt.

• Like 7

haha... oh my god. The plain ole idiocy of people who think a little scrap of fabric is gonna "hide dirt".

Lets just face it though.... no matter what the Blue Devils do, there is a negative reason behind it.

If they change plume colors, it will be "to hide dirt" because Blue Devils are always SOOOOOO dirty, they just disguise it well.

Shoe color... Hides the dirt. One year they even went black and grey. You know why? It hid all of that AWFUL dirt!

I heard their food truck is serving applesauce next summer. You know why? because it hides dirt.

I dont know how intelligent grown up human beings can be this narrow and shortsighted just because of their corps allegiances.

I wasnt a huge Crown fan this summer, but I am not making ridiculous posts about how Flame graphics on drums are just there to distract your attention

from all of that dirt.

Sigh - it does matter though. Have the blue devils been the (most consistentl) best marching corps since they went to this style in 2008 - yeah, probably, but if you think that a giant piece of fabric flapping around their doesn't confuse what the mind sees a little, you are the naive one. Case in point (and my own corps as an example), the reason the gold drop sash on the cadets uniform got shorter and shorter throughout the 80s and 90s is because they felt that having such a long piece of fabric flapping around in that area made the visual muddled, and didn't go well with the direction the corps was pushing modern drum corps into, with high speed drill design. Now - that was their opinion, and it's funny how things come full circle (and what went out of fashion has come back in), but there is a precedent for this thought coming from their closest competitor over the years...

from all of that dirt.

Exactly!

I'm not sure if many noticed but the sash migrated from the left leg (08-10) to the right leg this past year. I assumed that the original left leg placement was because the scabbered for the sword was worn on the left leg due to the fact that most swordsmen were right-handed and would reach across the body to pull out the sword. Why it migrated this year is a wonderful mystery. Each year there has been a color change on the inside to go with something in the show, white, then yellow, then mirrors. This year the stripes fit the poster art, the guard uniform stripes, striped poles and other accents.

Sigh - it does matter though. Have the blue devils been the (most consistentl) best marching corps since they went to this style in 2008 - yeah, probably, but if you think that a giant piece of fabric flapping around their doesn't confuse what the mind sees a little, you are the naive one. Case in point (and my own corps as an example), the reason the gold drop sash on the cadets uniform got shorter and shorter throughout the 80s and 90s is because they felt that having such a long piece of fabric flapping around in that area made the visual muddled, and didn't go well with the direction the corps was pushing modern drum corps into, with high speed drill design. Now - that was their opinion, and it's funny how things come full circle (and what went out of fashion has come back in), but there is a precedent for this thought coming from their closest competitor over the years...

Right dude...

because the Judging community is that easy to fool that all you have to do is hide a little dirt but adding a scrab of fabric.

Why would one of the best, cleanest and most consistent corps BEFORE they added the tails be the one to do it? They still have the same staff, talent level and designers. They just felt like taking some time off?

And why arent all of the other designers and instructors out there who are desperate to crack into the top tier do it if its that easy? Hey.. the judges are all apparently stupid! All you have to do is add some fabric and you no longer need to worry about marching clean!

There is a difference between some flapping of a fabric scrap and "hiding" something. Thats like saying that hanging a flag that can blow in the wind will hide a tree or wall. Yes, it may cover it for fleeting moments, but you can still see the tree back there. If thats all it took to get around marching clean, a lot more groups would be doing it right now.

Meanwhile, this is obviously some corps rivalry showing its face in the discussion. No, I am not a member of the blue devils, nor do I think they should have won this year. lol.

I just think this whole discussion is ridiculous. Makes me silly for getting in it i know, but hey! its too late now

• Like 3

I find the half-skirt neither offending nor appealing. I think calling it a "scrap of fabric" or a "drop sash" a little disingenuous. IMO it's much too large to call it either of those. I suppose it could be called a half-tail. Anyway...

I don't discern the reason for it -- but that's ok. Aesthetics don't *have* to have reasons.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1