more changes at bloo with brass staff

this is what happens when you mix your personal and professional life on facebook.

Nah, it's easy to be successful mixing both. You just have to understand how social media works. Again, I don't see that these guys did anything wrong or 'unprofessional', unless they were told specifically not to talk about it (which I seriously doubt).

I've always found the current management of SCV amazingly receptive to my feedback, which believe me has been both positive and negative. They really welcome my advice, which is not to say that they follow it. It makes me wonder what those who are airing out grievances in public are thinking, particularly alums. I'm not advocating secrecy and sweeping things under the rug, but much like when I see a couple fighting in a restaurant I just think they're embarrassing themselves regardless of who's right and who's wrong.

Exactly Bill. I am totally fine with an alum expressing concern about the organization or pining for the glory days, but when you call for person X to be fired in a public forum I think you are crossing a line. Not suggesting censorship just arguing poor taste.

We aren't debating national debt here. Drum corps just doesn't warrant such public hangings.

• Like 2

Hmmm. I found the news releases on both corps' sites to be informative, and it looks like both will be just fine with their new staff members.

Go to the source. That's all.

Garry in Vegas

I'm just curious whether DCI needs to have a class at the next staff weekend where they discuss the finer points of "How to Be a Professional".

Step One is "don't go on social media to make announcements about your employment status before the organizations you work for have a chance to craft the communication." :cool:

Can Step Two be:

"If you're an instructor for a current corps, don't go on DCP making comments that would embarrass your organization (and new one, if this staff change actually happens)"

?

Because, apparently, no one else has figured it out...?

• Like 2

As far as I can tell, neither organization has made any kind of official announcement. I don't think it's possible to both handle this responsibly and stay ahead of the Facebook rumor mill.

http://www.scvanguar...52-d7e6bc723a5f Just posted today a few hours ago!

Nah, it's easy to be successful mixing both. You just have to understand how social media works. Again, I don't see that these guys did anything wrong or 'unprofessional', unless they were told specifically not to talk about it (which I seriously doubt).

oh, I am definitely not saying that they did something wrong. Just that if you are friends with your professional connections on facebook, you should be aware of that fact and operate accordingly. I realize there is also often a blurry line between friends and coworkers many times, and especially in drum corps.

• Like 2

There are Corps on here where fans and alums of that Corps ( more than one Corps ) seem ok with publically airing out their grievances re that Corps, staff, etc. I 'm sort of surprised with that. I'm not so sure it serves a purpose in helping that Corps that is in a state of flux. But it is sort of curious why fans of a Corps would do this, as its impact in going public like this seems so counterproductive to what one would assume is their quest... improvement. Whenever there is a very public airing of multiple grievances re. staff, I fail to see how this can be seen as a positive to future marchers who are contemplating which Corps to camp with and try out for. Who wants to camp with a Corps that seems in flux and is quite divided on what approach it should take for the future ? What prospective camper wants to consider marching in a Corps in which some fans or alums of that Corps ridicule some of the current staff very publically on here ? I would scratch such a Corps off my list of possible considerations if I was looking at which Corps to consider marching with. Coupled with the fact that such public excoriations of staff could have been handled privately with emails or letters to the Corps, such public grievances aired like this are counterproductive to the max it seems to me. Oh well, people do, what people do, and for their own personal reasons quite apart from what others might do in a similar frustrated or angered situation. So thats that too.

I agree...and for some reason makes me think of Aesop's fable from The Four Oxen and the Tiger "UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL."

• Like 1

I'm just curious whether DCI needs to have a class at the next staff weekend where they discuss the finer points of "How to Be a Professional".

Step One is "don't go on social media to make announcements about your employment status before the organizations you work for have a chance to craft the communication." :cool:

Conversely...I give each of my corporate clients the advice...You must be proactive in dealing with social media channels. Do not underestimate or ignore the power of good and bad social media to protect your brands reputation. Unfortunately, many non-profits and many other corporations as well are only just learning and becoming privy about these things.

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 3

As far as I can tell, neither organization has made any kind of official announcement. I don't think it's possible to both handle this responsibly and stay ahead of the Facebook rumor mill.

As far as I've heard, the Bluecoats made an announcement via e-mail about their brass staff going to SCV, and that's how the SCV staff found out about it, which is really awful if it's true.