more changes at bloo with brass staff

There are Corps on here where fans and alums of that Corps ( more than one Corps ) seem ok with publically airing out their grievances re that Corps, staff, etc. I 'm sort of surprised with that. I'm not so sure it serves a purpose in helping that Corps that is in a state of flux. But it is sort of curious why fans of a Corps would do this, as its impact in going public like this seems so counterproductive to what one would assume is their quest... improvement. Whenever there is a very public airing of multiple grievances re. staff, I fail to see how this can be seen as a positive to future marchers who are contemplating which Corps to camp with and try out for. Who wants to camp with a Corps that seems in flux and is quite divided on what approach it should take for the future ? What prospective camper wants to consider marching in a Corps in which some fans or alums of that Corps ridicule some of the current staff very publically on here ? I would scratch such a Corps off my list of possible considerations if I was looking at which Corps to consider marching with. Coupled with the fact that such public excoriations of staff could have been handled privately with emails or letters to the Corps, such public grievances aired like this are counterproductive to the max it seems to me. Oh well, people do, what people do, and for their own personal reasons quite apart from what others might do in a similar frustated or angered mode situation. So thats that too.

I've always found the current management of SCV amazingly receptive to my feedback, which believe me has been both positive and negative. They really welcome my advice, which is not to say that they follow it. It makes me wonder what those who are airing out grievances in public are thinking, particularly alums. I'm not advocating secrecy and sweeping things under the rug, but much like when I see a couple fighting in a restaurant I just think they're embarrassing themselves regardless of who's right and who's wrong.

• Like 6

I'm just curious whether DCI needs to have a class at the next staff weekend where they discuss the finer points of "How to Be a Professional".

Step One is "don't go on social media to make announcements about your employment status before the organizations you work for have a chance to craft the communication." :cool:

Edited by mobrien
  • Like 8

I'm just curious whether DCI needs to have a class at the next staff weekend where they discuss the finer points of "How to Be a Professional".

Step One is "don't go on social media to make announcements about your employment status before the organizations you work for have a chance to craft the communication." :cool:

Not so much a staff issue as it is an organizational one. A simple, "Hey, let's keep this quiet until the corps makes the announcement official." If that wasn't done, you really can't blame the new staff for talking about it.

Not so much a staff issue as it is an organizational one. A simple, "Hey, let's keep this quiet until the corps makes the announcement official." If that wasn't done, you really can't blame the new staff for talking about it.

Since camps don't start for almost 3 months, and most corps managements have their hands full closing out the just-ended season and prepping for next year, it doesn't seem unreasonable for all involved to be professional, and give their former and future corps a chance to announce the information in such a way that minimizes the sensationalism.

Edited by mobrien
  • Like 4

I'm sure SCV isn't the only one upset about this. Who knows how things are going to turn out next year for either corps. SCV is really changing, and they may be building up to get a championship in the future. Probably not this year though. But it seems to be that's what they're planning for.

For Bluecoats? They can either do poorly, or fantastic. It really depends on how many vets return, and who the replacement staff is as I'm sure you all know.

One thing I am going to say though. How often do you hear about BD staff changes (honest question)? I personally never hear about it, so I feel that they keep most of their staff for a long while. And they're consistently top two. Coincidence?

• Like 2

For Bluecoats? They can either do poorly, or fantastic. It really depends on how many vets return, and who the replacement staff is as I'm sure you all know.

Exactly. Let's hope for the latter and not the former.

• Like 1

It's feels like SCV is just straight up leeching from other corps. I know that's probably not how it's going down, but first PR percussion staff and now Bloo's brass staff. Don't know how I feel about that.

That's what corps do. They try to find the best staff possible for their corps.

This is a business for the staff.

Members are free to go from corps to corps and so can staff.

It's sad, but true. I love Bluecoats sound. I'm sure they will find someone great, as their brass has always been a priority for them.

Should we expect to see all of the eligle Bluecoat hornline vets follow their staff to SCV like the Regiment percussion vets followed Rennick?

Doubtful. Brass players don't usually do this en masse. I could be wrong. It would be something to see for sure!

Note that three of Bloo's Brass Staff, now rumored to be at SCV, are SCV Hornline Alums. If you're a careful listener, Bloo's sound is built around clarity, color, and fat low brass...sound familiar? All that's missing is the style of music.

This change, assuming it happens, should make every SCV alum very excited.

I know I would be. :thumbup:

Well, good luck to them on this endeavor. As if they would be reading DCP, but hey ... you never know.

Edited by mingusmonk

this is what happens when you mix your personal and professional life on facebook.

• Like 4