Vanguard Brass Staff.

Where do you lie in the drum corps world, just wondering?

Yes, bold I was for making a general statement about all judges. I agree, there are a few of them that really do help. However, many do not.

Rather a bold statement, calling out "all" of the judges for not having any intellect. I personally know some DCI judges, a few for many many years; and KR not only are you dead wrong on this intellect issue, at least about the ones I personally know, you are actually showing your own lack of wisdom by making a completely unsubstantiated generalized statement.

Where do you lie in the drum corps world, just wondering?

I do not "lie" in the drum corps world, I try to tell the truth :satisfied: But even at that, what difference does it make to you concerning my credentials because you have already stated that the judges backgrounds do not matter; here is your quote "(no matter what background they have come from)". So the implication of that statement also means you would not care about my background either!

Edited by Stu
  • Like 3

... I thought you'd have some decent credentials (first hand experience with a corps, probably a caption head or some kind of tech). I thought you would have a personal experience with a corps...

I want to stay anonymous for many reasons, but mainly because I do not want my opinions to be taken as endorsed in any way shape or form by the organization I am currently involved with; I am not afraid of embarrassing that organization at all, but these are my opinions not the official position of the organization. That stated, suffice it to say that my drum corps credentials include decades of marching, instructing, volunteering, and administrating not only at the corps level but also at a Board level (which, by the way, are also similar credentials of many of those judges you chose to slam by claiming that they have no intellect).

I'm just curious then from whom such a authoritative command such as a mandate would originate?

The President of the BOD would be the Directors boss! That would be where it would come from. This person Pres of BOD would be the one taking heat from alumni groups and such. This person would see the donations that have strings attached, and would make these types of decisions.

• Like 1

Touche. But I will leave you at this, just because judges have a doctorate or if they are a high school band director does not mean they are the smartest at transferring what they say on a tape to paper. I'm surprised you even commentated back, you should know this. After all, you have had many years dealing with judges, you would think that not every judge fit to be in the position they fill. You win this one.

This exchange need not be a win/loose issue; not everything is a competition. What I was attempting to point out was that your generalized statement about judges having no intellect, combined with you not caring at all about their backgrounds, did not bode well in supporting your position. There are certainly some incompetent people in all professions, but what you did was call all judges incompetent without any actual proof whatsoever by pointing to any specific judges and specific criteria.

• Like 1

This exchange need not be a win/loose issue; not everything is a competition. What I was attempting to point out was that your generalized statement about judges having no intellect, combined with you not caring at all about their backgrounds, did not bode well in supporting your position. There are certainly some incompetent people in all professions, but what you did was call all judges incompetent without any actual proof whatsoever by pointing to any specific judges and specific criteria.

Agreed. I have worked with lots of DCI judges. Some are fantastic teachers. Some are not. MOST of them are competent. I think it is far too easy to blame the judges when things aren't going your way as a member or and instructor (and to a certain extent, a fan), but I can tell you that many of them are quite good.

The other problem I have was when you were talking about is how they brass changes might have a good effect on the corps. I understand you used the percussion as an example for positive changes, but that doesn't explain how the brass will get better. Consistency seems a much more favorable way.

I never posted anything about percussion; what you apparently are referring to is the Devils Advocate posting by Perc2100. (by the way, it would make things easier to read if you figured out how to reply while keeping the quote boxes in tact).

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1