Vanguard Brass Staff.

George Hopkins.

I believe we now have our own version of "Godwin's Law" on DCP.

SCV's going to be fine. Bluecoats are going to be fine. It's drum corps, and it's high-end drum corps at that. These are management teams that know what they're doing and they'll make the best decisions possible for their organizations.

As for CI.... I will believe it, until it gets proven wrong. :devil:

• Like 2

Competetive Inertia in Drum Corps is Hogwash. The reason that SCV is in a drought is that Gayle Royer has passed away. It takes a SINGLE person with a bnurning desire to achieve a single purpose that will not be denied by anyone for any reason to have a winning program. Look to all those who win and see that they ALL have a strong leader who knows what they are doing and are a hard as nails taskmaster who require the best results ALL the time... That is what Mr. Royer brought to the Vanguard and that is what is currently missing...

• Like 2

Competetive Inertia in Drum Corps is Hogwash. The reason that SCV is in a drought is that Gayle Royer has passed away. It takes a SINGLE person with a bnurning desire to achieve a single purpose that will not be denied by anyone for any reason to have a winning program. Look to all those who win and see that they ALL have a strong leader who knows what they are doing and are a hard as nails taskmaster who require the best results ALL the time... That is what Mr. Royer brought to the Vanguard and that is what is currently missing...

Fiedler won more DCI championships with Cavaliers than Royer did with Vanguard. Seems he has a pretty good idea of what it takes to win.

Edited by mobrien
  • Like 5

Fiedler won more DCI championships with Cavaliers than Royer did with Vanguard. Seems he has a pretty good idea of what it takes to win.

Maybe he does... But Jeff is the kind of guy who needs the entire Vanguard Organization to be clicking on all cylinders in order to make effective change as he is a kinder and gentler sort than Mr. Royer was. Mr. Royer was the sort to lift the entire organization onto his back and carry it across the finish line if it were necessary. Any older SCV alum will back me up on this. If you are one then you probably shouldn't be arguing this point with me.

Mr. Royers Hard as Nails approach is what caused me to commute from my Home in San Jose to Concord, I could have never lived through that kind of situation but watched as the 1981 SCV Corps kicked out butts at DCI In Great Part because of the drive and determination of a leader that would not be denied, these great leaders have something that others do not have... The ability to instill that drive into others and have them do as well as they are able!

Any organization that lives or dies by a single individual is not a strong organization.

Strong leadership means preparing the corps for a time when said leadership is no longer present. This is on both the micro and macro levels.

As great as GR was, he failed to make himself obsolete to the organization. A good leader propels an organization forward. A great leader makes him/herself obsolete.

EDIT: This ONLY assumes "success" means placing high. SCV is still an AMAZING, SOLID, SUCCESSFUL organization. So in reality, the above statement is really irrelevant except to those who feel SCV is not succeeding.

Edited by DrillmanSop06
  • Like 4

Any organization that lives or dies by a single individual is not a strong organization.

Strong leadership means preparing the corps for a time when said leadership is no longer present. This is on both the micro and macro levels.

As great as GR was, he failed to make himself obsolete to the organization. A good leader propels an organization forward. A great leader makes him/herself obsolete.

EDIT: This ONLY assumes "success" means placing high. SCV is still an AMAZING, SOLID, SUCCESSFUL organization. So in reality, the above statement is really irrelevant except to those who feel SCV is not succeeding.

I couldn't have finished better myself! Of course they are a successful organization now albeit not from a competetive standpoint based on reletivity. But your point about preparing your organization for a future without you is the biggest key to longevity there is! Perhaps some leaders do not envision a future without them... But it WILL happen and should be dealt with...

And NO DORK, Mr. Royer had burning desire each and everytime he did ANYTHING... But it is only one of the key components to competetive success and cannot carry the whole thing by itself year after year.

GR had that burning desire to win! He drove to the corps to succeed. He was the corps founder and its benevolent dictator. He may have made a mistake in not grooming someone to take his place. However, I don’t think he planned on passing away within a year of his retirement. Jeff’s success with the Cavalries is well documented, but he needs to prove it was not a fluke. So far, in three seasons, he has not.

Maybe he does... But Jeff is the kind of guy who needs the entire Vanguard Organization to be clicking on all cylinders in order to make effective change as he is a kinder and gentler sort than Mr. Royer was. Mr. Royer was the sort to lift the entire organization onto his back and carry it across the finish line if it were necessary. Any older SCV alum will back me up on this. If you are one then you probably shouldn't be arguing this point with me.

Mr. Royers Hard as Nails approach is what caused me to commute from my Home in San Jose to Concord, I could have never lived through that kind of situation but watched as the 1981 SCV Corps kicked out butts at DCI In Great Part because of the drive and determination of a leader that would not be denied, these great leaders have something that others do not have... The ability to instill that drive into others and have them do as well as they are able!

Tony, I am an older SCV alum and will back you on your comments. Absolutely.