Baritones vs. Euphoniums

Some Corps, like The Cadets, have opted to go baritone only in the hornlines, while other corps, like BD, are all euphs (even before the new 'bariphoniums'). From what I've heard euphs can be stuffy and not project volume as well as baritones, but I've also heard that they're smoother in the lower register and easier to blend with tubas. Which do you prefer and why? All Baris? All Euphs? Or a mix of both like Cavies, Bloo, and many others?

It can be hard to figure out at times. In some parts of the world the euphonium is considered to have its own entity, whereas in North America it's generally regarded as being part of the baritone family.

I vote Both, split up 1 2 (3) part on Baritone, or 3 (4) on Euphonium. That way you have a section to blend with the Mellos, and a section to blend down to the Tubas.

• Like 2

The main difference is that baritones have a more cylindrical bore, which means the tubing stays the same diameter longer, so they play with a brighter timbre similar to a trombone. Which is why it is typically used on upper tenor brass splits. The euphonium uses a conical bore, meaning the tubing has a more gradual flare, giving it a rich, warm timbre. The King and Jupiter euphoniums project very well. I typically prefer a mix of both so you have a gradual blend of timbres from top to bottom, giving the brass a sound similar to a British style brass band.

• Like 2

The main difference is that baritones have a more cylindrical bore, which means the tubing stays the same diameter longer, so they play with a brighter timbre similar to a trombone. Which is why it is typically used on upper tenor brass splits. The euphonium uses a conical bore, meaning the tubing has a more gradual flare, giving it a rich, warm timbre. The King and Jupiter euphoniums project very well. I typically prefer a mix of both so you have a gradual blend of timbres from top to bottom, giving the brass a sound similar to a British style brass band.

BUT THIS R N0T BAND! THIS R DRUM CORPS! >:O

• Like 1

Leads on Bari's and 3rd anf 4th on Euphs. This will increase the volume of your lower brass and give your lead players a chance to project! :thumbup:

Put 3/4 of the section on Baritone, and put the loudest 1/4 of the section on Euph. Best of both worlds!

This, but with the Leads and 2nds on Bari, 3rds on Euph as others have also posted.