Class A High Visual - Govenaires

Class A High Brass - Govenaires

Class A Best Drum Major - Govenaires

Class A scores:

4. Windsor Regiment - 78.3

3. Carolina Gold - 83.85

2. Fusion Core - 83.93

1. Govenaires - 84.93

We discovered after retreat that Govenaires also won High Music!!!!!!!

review to come ( was actually almost done, then hit a wrong button and nothing saved....)

wondering why full retreat when looking at the map. otherwise awesome weekend of drum corps. top to bottom, DCA has never been stronger.

I did NOT see the Phantom kick halt coming in 1812.

Must be the new guy ;o) ( Phantom age-out)

yes Ray, I made it all to the end and I must say was a bit disappointed. Disappointed because I have nothing but the utmost respect for you... You tried to draw correlations to "ancient times" to explain our current problems... the reality of the situation is that DCA's problems are rooted in the same problems as the country... heck the whole world... You make it sound like it's MN's fault that ticket prices have increased... do you know how many people complained to me this weekend about not having enough advertising for championship weekend... ??? MANY... do you have any idea how much that advertising now costs? ###### if you do - ###### if you don't... that's only the tip of the iceberg... honestly, while you and I lived through all the historical stuff you mentioned... I have to say, you don't know the real problems faced today in drum corps. They are primarilly economic and social and are the same problems effecting every walk of life... I'm a bit tired of blaming everything on drum corps... blame the invention of the computer... blame the internet, blame the demise of 8 tracks, blame the current cost of a college education... blame Al Gore for me getting wetter than I've ever been in life last night... but only when the management continues to try and figure new ways to survive in our new society... only then will things get better... remember the drum corps activity is hardly more than one drop of water in that giant pond nature created last night on retreat... hopefully, things like the success of the streaming video and even the positive ticket sales for Annapolis are the types of changes that will allow the activity to survive... and with a little luck and a lot of brains... flourish...

Blaming Jim Jones for owning a huge construction company and being able to fund raise to afford 3 great buses in the mid 60's - sorry buddy... no comparison to today's problems...

Oh and I was corps director of a corps that marched Brubaker drills... The brilliance of the man was obvious... the trained eyes KNEW it was a Bru creation, but while they were not easy and did challenge, they were tailored to fit the weekend warriors... and helped put us into the top 5 after many years absence... to imply that dca is dying because they hired guys who wrote for junior corps??? very disappointing and wrong...

OK - Tom - you know I have ultimate respect for you, and to be fair I did self-disclose that this was a rant. I don't see the demise of DCA - it's clear that corps are springing up all over the country. By the way I got my job with the Hurcs because I had worked a DCI line first after getting my job with Bayonne by working with Sunrisers first, so I don't see the idea of hiring folks from DCI as an issue. And to be fair I believe Brubaker might have written for Reading before he moved on to DCI, but I could be wrong about that too.

Long term the things I was ticking off I believe are true - although you're absolutely correct that the really great writers, the Brubakers, Zingalis, Sylvestri (I write as if there could be more than one each of these guys) made it work at every level they worked. If you tell me that DCA corps didn't shift too far in its (our) emulation of the DCI activity and expose some major shortcomings (especially with respect to movement) I will stand corrected. No one has had a better vantage point than you.

As to the current economy, the change in culture from participatory to on-line - don't have to go too far to see the proof of that - here we are swapping posts on-line.

I still wonder though whether the activity, especially for Seniors, will withstand the dilution of having 10 corps spread literally thousands of miles apart - and for my way too many paragraphs of original post, that's what my fear was in 1977 (when I was 26) and what it is todaym, days before I turn 60.

How many shows per weekend and who will participate? Fusion has certainly come on strong in NJ but how many corps from NJ and CT are going to Minnesota or even Chicago for a show next summer, much less down to Georgia or out to the Bay Area?

We used to dream about a DCA made up of corps from all over the country. My question, which has been on my mind literally for decades, is should we have been careful of what we wished for?

Maybe Cadets 2 will start a trend? Maybe someday DCA will feature Phantom 2 and BD 2 and Cavies 2, etc etc.???

Impossible to know - I was literally venting on something that has stuck in my brain for a long time.

I have the right to be wrong - this is DCP - we do it every day. I certainly defer to your expertise and experience. With all the years I've put into this activity, I doubt I would hold a candle to your knowledge of how things work.

Anyhow it was my final rant of the season - sorry it caught you like biting down on tin-foil. Certainly never intended that. Just my interpretations of my observations over way too long a time. Maybe the message here is that I need to get back to making the trip to finals so I have some actual fodder for my misgivings. Maybe I wouldn't have any more misgivings.

BTW - I think I can still be wrong without disappointing you, no? That sounds as serious as anything I might have implied.

Edited by rayfallon

Also throw in Dream Contest 1974 (Hurricanes out during a deluge) and Dream Contest 1979 (Bayonne performs without pants - who else?)

Ray,

My quote about The Dream was specific to Tom, who was just turning to head to the "finish line" to In The Still of the Night when the sky opened up. That final minute brought a HUGE standing O to Cru.

Joe

Congrats to the govenaires and mbi. It was an exciting year for sure. Next year, like every year we'll all come back fighting for that 1st place trophy and in turn will excite the dca community and light up dcp with tons of things to talk about or speculate about..haha..for now its govies and minnesotas turn to enjoy their victory.

Thank you to all Our supporters and to the dca admin for all your accomplishments over the last few years in really making some great strides and in IMO strengthening the circuit. your making great strides. Keep up the great work.

Most of all thank you to all our wonderful fusion support, staff, admin and marching memberS. You made me so proud!!!

Ps: fusion did win high music, they gave us govies high brass Award and gave govies our high music. Amber need your address to send it back....must have been due to the rain :)!!

Ray,

My quote about The Dream was specific to Tom, who was just turning to head to the "finish line" to In The Still of the Night when the sky opened up. That final minute brought a HUGE standing O to Cru.

Joe

Lot of memories if one does this long enough, huh Joe?

Screching metal sound in the pit. I have to admit I like those kinds of effects.

That was actually a "whale call" from the field cymbals. That was an interesting moment in full ensemble, believe me. :P

Is there a hole in the tenors? They've got a giant space between them at the end of the second piece and they're right on the front side.

Our drill was written for seven snares and three tenors. Through various comings and goings of players this season, some strange holes appear throughout the show.