2011 Drum Corps Associates World Championships Finals Competition

Without the regions growing this is what a DCA WORLD championship would have looked like for 2011.

DCA Open Class

Buccaneers

Empire Statesmen

Hurricanes

Caballeros

Bushwackers

Class A

Fusion Core

Windsor Regiment

Sunrisers

White Sabers

Excelsior

Tom,

Dream contest 1960s ???????

Joe

Also throw in Dream Contest 1974 (Hurricanes out during a deluge) and Dream Contest 1979 (Bayonne performs without pants - who else?)

• Like 2

Ray, nice post, but I think your fears are unfounded. What you describe is more of a disturbance in the force, but will not cause the changes in DCA that you fear.

Next year Brigs are rumored to be back. I don't see Bush going away and in fact may regroup and surprise the hell out of everyone with a strong jump back. And then there will be Cadets2. If anything, C2 will change DCA more than any non-NE influence. IMHO.

And no, I'm not harping on C2 here, there's already a thread for that where I made my feelings well-known, so don't go there here.

Well doll ... Ray hit on some very poingnent points ...

I agree... that's why I thanked him for sharing.

I have a deep concern for the "circuit" aspect of DCA, which allowed the NE corps to have a "season" ...

Wait, I'm confused. DCA is a circuit of Drum Corps, No? Just like DCI is a circuit of Drum Corps, no?

DCA is the Senior / All Age side of Drum corps. I guess I want / need you to define "season" for me here.

And why is it an all exclusive NE thing?

C'mon Andy, I was born into this silly hobby of ours and I love and appreciate you and all your historical goodness.... but, please explain in depth here for me.

MBI has introduced a paradigm shift in how a championship winning show gets evaluated with a minimal amount of direct competition and "reads" by judges

I disagree here. Did MBI meet the DCA Championship criteria? Nuff said. But, NOO! I can't shut the heck up. LOL

Remember a few years back, when all the talk was going around about how the Yokahama Inspires basically out Cabed the Cabs?

Why in GOD'S name does anyone want to further shrivel the competition?

Why do people think that the NE Corps are the be all, end all of DC? (probably because geographicaly we have more Corps to boast / biatch about)

Let's face it... if the West and Midwest had more Corps to Compete with, I bet they'd gladly Bring It!

*This* year, the NE were'nt quite a bag of chips and all that...we were MidWested!!! When was the NE ever affraid of some good competition? It'll just make them work harder for next DCA Season!

... analogous to what the Skokie Indians were able to accomplish in the 50's at the AL Nats with a limited amount of contests under their belts each year ... hmmm ... maybe we're coming full cycle and we don't even realize it ... maybe a limited amount of head-to-head contests will emerge as the "main event" at a show, giving a W-L record for corps rather than a "1-2-3-x placement" ...

NO, No, No!! The 1-2-3- placement will accomplish a winner...etc..

better keep those Alumni groups, local HS bands and Open Class Jrs going if show sponsors want to fill out a slate ... it will be interesting to see how corps struture their budget if increased travel becomes the norm ... they can possibly look to MBI's model for guidance ...

Increased travel? Really? Any travel is highly expensive these days.

My geographical area used to be a hot bed for Drum Corps shows... both Sr. and Jr. Umpteen a week!! Not anymore. The few shows that we still have around here anymore are repeat NY corps over and over.... Don't get me wrong... I love my NY Corps.... but, I'd like a bit of diversity once in a while!!

I still love you Andy... but, I had to speak my mind!

:-)

referring to Pete China's post #570

Exactly Pete...

now... DCA WEST... it's time!

Edited by TomPeashey