DCA OPEN CLASS FINALS

whos says its not broke....so are you saying just because someone travels they should be a finalisits?..that seems a little crazy and what kind of a win is that?..then why not keep Bush in then everyones happy :rolleyes:

I say it's not broke. No, someone travels to compete. They should be finalists if they do well enough. If there were only 6 finalist spots and my corps wasn't going to break 90, no how, no way, it would be very difficult to justify the cost involved to perform one time and then get back on a bus and go home. Drum corps is a business. If that 11th corps had been the Kilties (as has often been the case) would we even be having this discussion?

• Like 1

I say it's not broke. No, someone travels to compete. They should be finalists if they do well enough. If there were only 6 finalist spots and my corps wasn't going to break 90, no how, no way, it would be very difficult to justify the cost involved to perform one time and then get back on a bus and go home. Drum corps is a business. If that 11th corps had been the Kilties (as has often been the case) would we even be having this discussion?

why not..kilties..Bush or whoever..makes no difference...at least to me...leaving one corps out today or in the past seems so rediculous....having 11 in prelims and 10 in finals seems just as crazy...when did getting better fall out of fashion...lol....priceless :rolleyes:

Youre right drum corps is a business and if business is failing well then thats another story but thats an internal issue not an issue of the general public....On a side note..........nice to see Kilities in finals... :thumbup:

I was also just asking a question BUT for all who believe the system and the #s are ok..all I ask is why....and the justification and travel isnt a good one otherwise just let everyone in and dont have a prelims. everyone gets a toy then and goes home

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

I'm not sure the answer is cutting Open Class corps based on the number of competitors. Rather we should be trying to grow that number. And, I recognize that some prefer the Class A segment and that is great als

o. I guess what I'm saying is don't structure a show around the variance in segments. Focus on growing all segments.

at least making a finals would mean something again...

Making finals always means something. Specifically, for DCA open-class, it means you were one of the ten best corps that entered the open-class preliminary contest. That remains true no matter how many corps enter that contest, technically speaking.

Changing the number of finalists every year as a knee-jerk reaction to the number of prelim contestants, however, would cloud the issue of what "making finals" really means.

why have a prelims at all.JMO

To determine who the finalists will be....and to provide two performance opportunities for the finalists at championship weekend. For that second reason, I doubt the corps would want to do away with open-class prelims even if DCA had 10 or less corps entered in open-class. I feel the same way.

Making finals always means something. Specifically, for DCA open-class, it means you were one of the ten best corps that entered the open-class preliminary contest. That remains true no matter how many corps enter that contest, technically speaking.

Its to the point where its not "I hope we make finals" but rather "Lets not be that 11th corps"

Seriously, its dumb to drop ONE CORPS from prelims to finals. They already compete in exhibition anyway, why drop them?

Make finals all 11 corps or make the cut off at 8.

• Like 1

As far as I can tell, people like class A, but they really come and pay money for the big boys, and if you get rid of the bigger corps, because you want more smaller corps, I think you will start losing your fan base. DCA treats its small corps very well, but DCA needs to promote the groth of the big corps to stay healthy.

That my opinion, but what do I know.

GO MINNESOTA!!!

• Like 1

Changing the number of finalists every year as a knee-jerk reaction to the number of prelim contestants, however, would cloud the issue of what "making finals" really means.

To determine who the finalists will be....and to provide two performance opportunities for the finalists at championship weekend. For that second reason, I doubt the corps would want to do away with open-class prelims even if DCA had 10 or less corps entered in open-class. I feel the same way.

i hear what youre saying But Im just getting out of some peoples commets are...well because we want to or because its the way it is...as far as a prelims to determine whos in or not , other than that 11th place corps ..was it any surprise?...being one of the best 10 when theres 11 or in the future maybe 10 means something?..Its almost like saying WE WON... with one in a show...hmmmmmmm..I truly get what you are saying, just trying to understand the logic

i hear what youre saying But Im just getting out of some peoples commets are...well because we want to or because its the way it is...as far as a prelims to determine whos in or not , other than that 11th place corps ..was it any surprise?...being one of the best 10 when theres 11 or in the future maybe 10 means something?..Its almost like saying WE WON... with one in a show...hmmmmmmm..I truly get what you are saying, just trying to understand the logic

WGI takes 15 World Class units every year, yet rarely do they have even 25 in world class, let alone 20 some years. So do you suggest they cut the number of finalists? I mean A Class for ScholasticPercussion alone has 60 units, but only 12 get in.

Yet, like John says, adding more A Class finalists won't pay the bills.

DCA's logic is along the same vein.

whos says its not broke....so are you saying just because someone travels they should be a finalisits?..that seems a little crazy and what kind of a win is that?..then why not keep Bush in then everyones happy :rolleyes:

Maybe a better point would be, when was the last time the top 5 changed? I don't know if I have agreed with who is in the top 5 the past couple of years (last year especially)... it would be a bit of a tough sell for groups that are fighting for essentially one spot, since the top 5 seem to be a pretty strong lock every year. I think top 8 could be fine, but I say leave everything like it is. If Class A groups want to get into finals, maybe they shouold move up a class. I'm not talking about groups like Fusion, but I know of a couple that are perfectly content with Class A and have no intention of moving up.

As far as I can tell, people like class A, but they really come and pay money for the big boys, and if you get rid of the bigger corps, because you want more smaller corps, I think you will start losing your fan base. DCA treats its small corps very well, but DCA needs to promote the groth of the big corps to stay healthy.

That my opinion, but what do I know.

GO MINNESOTA!!!

I hear what you are saying John and agree with you. HEck there are some fans that don't even stumble out of the bar till the top 5 open class corps hit the field.