DCA OPEN CLASS FINALS

I found it most interesting this year that, had the rules not changed, 2 A class corps would have been in Open class finals. It always got talked about in the past, but didnt happen.

Perhaps until there are more corps in open class, open class prelims could be eliminated and they all perform Sunday evening. Then, move the Alumni Spectatular to Saturday afternoon followed immediately by A Class prelims (giving the entire A Class a chance to perform "under the lights"). Then take the top 5 A Class corps in prelims and have them compete in finals prior to Open class finals like it is currently on Sunday.

One other thing that could be done is move the Mini Corps show back onto the field. It could be in the place of the current Alumni Spectacular, or leave Sunday how it currently is and have the Mini corps go on the field just prior to A Class prelims on Saturday.

Just thoughts.....

Edited by MiniSopGuy

I found it most interesting this year that, had the rules not changed, 2 A class corps would have been in Open class finals. It always got talked about in the past, but didnt happen.

Perhaps until there are more corps in open class, open class prelims could be eliminated and they all perform Sunday evening. Then, move the Alumni Spectatular to Saturday afternoon followed immediately by A Class prelims (giving the entire A Class a chance to perform "under the lights"). Then take the top 5 A Class corps in prelims and have them compete in finals prior to Open class finals like it is currently on Sunday.

Why fix what's not broken? You're also taking a performance opportunity away from ten corps. That make zero sense.

Frankly, I don't see what the problem is. Class A, by design, is a limited class. Corps that compete in Class A *choose* to do so, knowing there will only be four finals slots. If they wish, they can ignore the size rules and elect to compete in Open Class, as Bushwackers did this year.

Now, if DCA was to hard cap the size rule, you'd be right to change the number of finalists in each class.

Looking at the prelim placements, I have to disagree with taking only 6. What would the incentive be for Alliance, CorpsVets, Renegades, Tampa Bay Thunder to make a very expensive trip just to do prelims? If your response is "they get to vote", then it is like buying an election. They could pay DCA $5000 to get a vote and still be waayyyyy ahead of the game.

Leave it alone. (If it ain't broke...)

FORGOT THE KILTIES! HEH

As far as I can tell, people like class A, but they really come and pay money for the big boys, and if you get rid of the bigger corps, because you want more smaller corps, I think you will start losing your fan base. DCA treats its small corps very well, but DCA needs to promote the groth of the big corps to stay healthy.

That my opinion, but what do I know.

GO MINNESOTA!!!

This is why I have always admired you John.

Edited by JCSeymour

If the goal is to put forth the top corps in finals, then the top-15 from prelims should make finals..... That means this year Bush would have been in and Windsor out. Finals would have been 11 Open Class and 4 Class A (Windsor would be the added corps as #15 anyway.....and Bush would score...not be exhibition). If there were 15 Open Class Corps and they all out-scored the top Class A corps, then the top Class A corps from prelims would be the class A champion.

EVERYONE (Open, Class A, DCA MW, DCA So, DCA West) is invited to prelims..... but the FINALS should be "DCA Finals".......the top 15 corps from prelims.

Joe

If the goal is to put forth the top corps in finals, then the top-15 from prelims should make finals..... That means this year Bush would have been in and Windsor out. Finals would have been 11 Open Class and 4 Class A (Windsor would be the added corps as #15 anyway.....and Bush would score...not be exhibition). If there were 15 Open Class Corps and they all out-scored the top Class A corps, then the top Class A corps from prelims would be the class A champion.

EVERYONE (Open, Class A, DCA MW, DCA So, DCA West) is invited to prelims..... but the FINALS should be "DCA Finals".......the top 15 corps from prelims.

Joe

and finals all at the same time.....ok i can buy this....at least theres some logic to it. Or at least an explanation.

So, you advocate eliminating Class A then, right? Because if you're going to take the top 15, that's exactly what you've done. Why give out an extra trophy?

WGI takes 15 World Class units every year, yet rarely do they have even 25 in world class, let alone 20 some years. So do you suggest they cut the number of finalists? I mean A Class for ScholasticPercussion alone has 60 units, but only 12 get in.

Yet, like John says, adding more A Class finalists won't pay the bills.

DCA's logic is along the same vein.

you must be tlking percussion Guard is a different story...guard added a semi finals when world guards went to over 30 but either way even if you were talking 20 and 15 in finals 5 go...not 1................Im not saying Bush should have been in , all Im saying is the #s for a real competition dont seem to mean as much anymore

Edited by GUARDLING

you must be tlking percussion Guard is a different story...guard added a semi finals when world guards went to over 30 but either way even if you were talking 20 and 15 in finals 5 go...not 1................Im not saying Bush should have been in , all Im saying is the #s for a real competition dont seem to mean as much anymore

guard had semis in 2010 for WC with what, 20 something? so that killed the 30 rule.