DCA OPEN CLASS FINALS

If the goal is to put forth the top corps in finals, then the top-15 from prelims should make finals..... That means this year Bush would have been in and Windsor out. Finals would have been 11 Open Class and 4 Class A (Windsor would be the added corps as #15 anyway.....and Bush would score...not be exhibition). If there were 15 Open Class Corps and they all out-scored the top Class A corps, then the top Class A corps from prelims would be the class A champion.

EVERYONE (Open, Class A, DCA MW, DCA So, DCA West) is invited to prelims..... but the FINALS should be "DCA Finals".......the top 15 corps from prelims.

Joe

I think my idea is somewhat similar to yours. I don't like the idea that there should be more or less of EITHER Open or Class A in Finals "just because." I, too, would rather see the BEST corps make the Sunday show. However, I also want to see Class A corps get a fair shake to perform Sunday night as well. Just because they all can't get Top 10 numbers, doesn't mean they aren't very, very good for their size.

That having been said, my proposal would be to have Prelims be a straight up shoot out top to bottom. Everyone goes head-to-head just as they do now. The corps themselves voted to expand and have 4 Class A finalists on Sunday night, so I propose that at least 4 Class A corps move on and join the other 11 highest scoring corps. Then these 15 corps (regardless of class) compete head-to-head on Sunday night. The top Class A Corps wins the Title, but also can move up and be considered an Open Class Finalist.

Minnesota Brass 97.73

Buccaneers 97.43

Empire Statesmen 95.08

Hurricanes 94.30

Caballeros 92.45

Renegades 90.05

Alliance 89.00

CorpsVets 87.23

Govenaires 85.03

Fusion Core 84.95

Carolina Gold 84.13

Kilties 82.70

Tampa Bay Thunder 80.65 (0.2)

Bushwackers 79.80

Windsor Regiment 77.70

The above would have been the Top 15 from prelims (including 4 Class A corps).

Why fix what's not broken?

What John said. :thumbup:

• Like 1

guard had semis in 2010 for WC with what, 20 something? so that killed the 30 rule.

it was over 20 but either way you are missing the point even if there was 20... 5 go home.....in this case its one...silly.....and what does that mean anyway ...its DCA

Edited by GUARDLING

We've clearly established that there are 15 performance spots in DCA Finals. If we really agree that there needs to be some kind of change, I'll propose two ideas.

IDEA #1

-------

Class distinctions stay the same as they are now. Prelims stays the same as it is now. Class A goes first, followed by Open Class. Seeding stays the same. Open class becomes a hard cap of ten corps in finals. Class A becomes a hard cap of five corps in finals. If there are eleven or more Open Class corps, one (or more) isn't making it to Sunday. No "exhibitions" from either class on Sunday. Should there ever be less than ten Open Class corps in prelims, the contest director can elect to add a sixth (or more) performance slot in finals to Class A.

IDEA #2

-------

Class distinctions change. Class A gains a maximum cap of XX members including drum majors (whatever it is now is fine). Open Class gains a hard minimum of XX including drum majors. Corps declare their class by the same date they use currently. Should a corps not meet the cap requirements for their declared class at a show, they will perform in the correct class based on numbers but incur a five point penalty.

For example, the Thorndale Loudmen declare Class A, but add members taking them over the cap of XX. They are moved to Open Class but incur a five point penalty at all shows (including prelims/finals). Should the Loudmen declare Open Class, but lose members taking them below the cap of XX, they are moved to Class A, but incur a five point penalty at all shows (including prelims/finals). This rule is to discourage attempts to beat the system. There could also be a grace of two or three for Open Corps that don't travel with their full complement for whatever reason, at the discretion of the contest director, for regular season shows.

Prelims stays the same as it is now. Class A goes on first, followed by Open Class. Seven Class A corps make finals, with seven Open Class corps making finals. The exhibition spot is filled by the highest placing non-finalist regardless of class (based on prelims score).

Fun additions to IDEA #2:

- Eliminate the maximum member cap for Open Class. Let's really make it OPEN. Got 179 members? More power to ya!

- Officially sanction Mini Corps, but add a class:

Mini-Corps - 1-22 members. Hard cap includes all performers (including drum major, sound guy, banner holder, etc.). This class uses Mini Corps rules as they are now.

Maxi-Corps - 23-35 members. Caps for minimum and maximum. Alternatively, call this the Shadow7 Class. This is an "anything goes" class. Time and space limitations remain the same, but there are no other rules on equipment of any kind. Well, except maybe animals. No animals allowed unless they are really, really cool.

Personally, I don't think we need to change the system. But if we do, let's really change it :)

Edited by Kamarag

IDEA #1

-------

Class distinctions stay the same as they are now. Prelims stays the same as it is now. Class A goes first, followed by Open Class. Seeding stays the same. Open class becomes a hard cap of ten corps in finals. Class A becomes a hard cap of five corps in finals. If there are eleven or more Open Class corps, one (or more) isn't making it to Sunday. No "exhibitions" from either class on Sunday. Should there ever be less than ten Open Class corps in prelims, the contest director can elect to add a sixth (or more) performance slot in finals to Class A.

i like this but lets hope it never comes to it

How about a small change like this, if change is determined to be needed...

If there are fewer than 12 Open corps in prelims, all of them make finals. If there are 12 or more, then the top-10 make finals.

Sunday 15-corps performance order is based on Open prelims and "A" Finals scores. The number of "A" corps that make the "A" finals is however many it takes to add up to 15 total performing corps on Sunday. The 'A' class corps that make the Sunday show are slotted in based on their own scores.

Why not start finals the same time on Sunday as the prelims on Saturday? Then every corps can compete Saturday for position in the finals and then compete Sunday in the finals...... start the alumni earlier.... A lot of corps are traveling a great distance to perform only once on "DCA WEEKEND." Nowhere does it say that prelims has to be used to eliminate corps. Last year there was unfounded fear that Kidsgrove might travel to Rochester and not appear in the finals.

So let's let everyone who invests in DCA finals weekend perform twice. Otherwise, I stick with my original post that only the top 15 from prelims in finals.

Joe Dz in NJ

Exactly how much earlier would you like the calumniate show to start? 8 AM? Earlier? Because people aren't making it for 10 as it is..

• Like 1

Exactly how much earlier would you like the calumniate show to start? 8 AM? Earlier? Because people aren't making it for 10 as it is..

Then start at noon and put on five alumni corps prior to prelims and five more prior to finals..... make it two full days of drum corps with folks deciding what time to arrive.......

Of course, I'd hate to be in that Class A corps that has to follow the Cabs alumni on Sunday....

All of this is possible only at the 2011 participation size of DCA. If expansion continues, as I hope it does, it would become too much. But right now, it would make for a 2-day festival of drum corps with all competing corps appearing twice and alumni once in return for their investment of making the trip to Maryland.

Joe Dz

ps: flooding is returning here in the Passaic River Valley, but the Falls look great (don't smell so good, though)