Hurricanes Color Guard

Yes, it did. I don't think anyone here is saying MBI didn'thave a good guard, just not the best guard that night. I'll have to go with the majority on this one. Saw just about every Open Class Corps both night and felt it should have, without a doubt, gone to Hurricanes.

I agree. I thought Hurcs killed it in prelims and I don't remember seeing drops in finals but I was also first row for finals so I wouldn't have seen the groups in the back. But what I saw, mostly of the weapons lines were pretty darn impressive.

I had Hurcs on top, not by much, but on top for prelims and finals.

Edited by Cathie Wiener

Perhaps the synergistic effect of the overall corps performance propelled the guard to that extra tenth.

Hurcs guard was very good and I felt they should have won the caption after watching MBI's guard. But watching Hurc's guard members throw a fit on the field because they didn't win and watching MBI's guard break down into tears made them worthy of the win. There is something to be said for being professional and humble.

On a side note has anyone else seen major improvements in Empire's guard over the past few years? I don't understand why thier finals score was so low.

• Like 2

On a side note has anyone else seen major improvements in Empire's guard over the past few years? I don't understand why thier finals score was so low.

Yes, Statesmens guard has improved over the past 2 seasons. Last years finals was just fantastic for them. This years finals was great too......but I also remember the year(s) Bush's guard should have won, and Hurcs took the trophy.

Somehow I wonder if the finals show is really accurate?

I mean, last year's Empire show was 1000% better then their whole season, yet, their placing didn't change.

Bush's guard, in 2009/2008 was fantastic (I hope I've got the right years), but they didn't win the caption. Look back at the DVD's.....

• Like 1

Bush's guard, in 2009/2008 was fantastic (I hope I've got the right years), but they didn't win the caption. Look back at the DVD's.....

2008 was the year. Instead they were given the Sportsmanship award and I can tell you that the guard took it much better than I thought they would.

Edited by Kyle B

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am glad to see that other folks on DCP felt particularly put off by how much of an embarrassment the Hurricane's Color Guard was at retreat! I support the members having fun at retreat because this is the end of their summer long journey, but there is a line. When there are members making an absolute fool of themselves (including tossing around what appeared to be a toy sword) during the announcement of scores from A Class into the lower half of Open Class, that is where I think you start to look tacky and unprofessional. You did not see a hint of professionalism in the group until they announced them in 4th place with no captions! I guess that is when it got serious for them.

I don't want to take away from their accomplishments during their performance, but sometimes it takes seeing a team "off the field" or out of the performance aspect of this activity to see how much they should be respected. Spinning a clean, well written book, tossing and catching 6's and 7's, dancing like no other doesn't amount to a hill of beans if you cannot be a modest performer in a loss. AND COME ON NOW, falling to ground, hyperventilating and having a temper tantrum because you didn't win high guard, get some therapy (which was witnessed)!!

This activity is about giving what you love to do most to the audience...which is why I think groups like Reading, MBI and Empire get kudos from me. They don't get the highest amount of points, and they applaud, chit chat and support the group that does! WHO CARES?! At the end of the day, this is just some instruments and flags on a field and cancer still does not have a cure!

• Like 4