Hurricanes Color Guard

Well, I am glad to see that other folks on DCP felt particularly put off by how much of an embarrassment the Hurricane's Color Guard was at retreat! I support the members having fun at retreat because this is the end of their summer long journey, but there is a line. When there are members making an absolute fool of themselves (including tossing around what appeared to be a toy sword) during the announcement of scores from A Class into the lower half of Open Class, that is where I think you start to look tacky and unprofessional. You did not see a hint of professionalism in the group until they announced them in 4th place with no captions! I guess that is when it got serious for them.

I don't want to take away from their accomplishments during their performance, but sometimes it takes seeing a team "off the field" or out of the performance aspect of this activity to see how much they should be respected. Spinning a clean, well written book, tossing and catching 6's and 7's, dancing like no other doesn't amount to a hill of beans if you cannot be a modest performer in a loss. AND COME ON NOW, falling to ground, hyperventilating and having a temper tantrum because you didn't win high guard, get some therapy (which was witnessed)!!

This activity is about giving what you love to do most to the audience...which is why I think groups like Reading, MBI and Empire get kudos from me. They don't get the highest amount of points, and they applaud, chit chat and support the group that does! WHO CARES?! At the end of the day, this is just some instruments and flags on a field and cancer still does not have a cure!

This post was great! Thank you for being honest and not sounding like a know it all!

HURCS organization should be very disappointed in the way the CG acted on the field during retreat. To be honest I was walking outside the stadium and all I could here was their staff yelling and cursing at the top of their lungs how they got screwed.

What is sad is, the HURCS CG is great (finals night the weapons were rough) and all I'll remember how they acted on retreat. It's to bad they were taught that way.

What was great about retreat, were the Reading Buccaneers! They even win when they come in second. Not taking anything away from MBI (and I did think they should have won)but I was supper impressed on how the Bucs reacted on finals night! Congrats to the entire Buccaneer family, you are in a league of your own!

Can't wait for 2012.

This post was great! Thank you for being honest and not sounding like a know it all!

HURCS organization should be very disappointed in the way the CG acted on the field during retreat. To be honest I was walking outside the stadium and all I could here was their staff yelling and cursing at the top of their lungs how they got screwed.

What is sad is, the HURCS CG is great (finals night the weapons were rough) and all I'll remember how they acted on retreat. It's to bad they were taught that way.

What was great about retreat, were the Reading Buccaneers! They even win when they come in second. Not taking anything away from MBI (and I did think they should have won)but I was supper impressed on how the Bucs reacted on finals night! Congrats to the entire Buccaneer family, you are in a league of your own!

Can't wait for 2012.

Agreed. The Hurcs guard had zero class on retreat that night. It's funny how they behaved after losing the guard caption they "assumed" they'd win... compared with the Buccaneers organization, who had a 6 six year win streak snapped the night before. Reading deserves kudos for being the classy champions that they are. I've heard nothing but great things about how they handled their loss to Minnesota. Class act.

Congrats to MBI. Amazing.

• Like 1

was it all really that bad? HMMM I must have missed alot. I did see it wasnt very orderly and maybe even a bit out of control but didnt realise it was what everyone is saying. I chalked it up to age. Its no secret most of the guard there the past several years came from some local High Schools, which is no excuse at all. One can look at a Jr. corps which some are younger BUT , and heres where the face of DCA is changing DCI members mostly are under strict supervision practically every minute of every day. Now within DCA or a DCA corps youre taking a mojority of kids and Im sure with alot less supervision. Kids gone wild, so to speak. Either way Not an excuse and If I were in any capacity part of the corps and saw it I would have mached myself on that field and stopped it.

Oh Well, growing pains. You may not like an out come and even rightfully so and have all the right to express dissapointment but all I would say is TIME AND PLACE.

This brings up a good point though. I think the days may be gone when any NE corps, just because they are winning a particular caption all year, can assume they will win at finals. Granted, there are still more corps in the NE than other areas of the country, so it seems reasonable to assume that would be the case. But it doesn't mean that Corps Vets couldn't come in next year and win guard, or that the Renegades couldn't win horns. Until ALL the corps meet at the end of a season the final results are not predestined. And that's good for DCA.

• Like 3

This brings up a good point though. I think the days may be gone when any NE corps, just because they are winning a particular caption all year, can assume they will win at finals. Granted, there are still more corps in the NE than other areas of the country, so it seems reasonable to assume that would be the case. But it doesn't mean that Corps Vets couldn't come in next year and win guard, or that the Renegades couldn't win horns. Until ALL the corps meet at the end of a season the final results are not predestined. And that's good for DCA.

sounds like it didnt matter who it was or where they came from

was it all really that bad? HMMM I must have missed alot. I did see it wasnt very orderly and maybe even a bit out of control but didnt realise it was what everyone is saying. I chalked it up to age. Its no secret most of the guard there the past several years came from some local High Schools, which is no excuse at all. One can look at a Jr. corps which some are younger BUT , and heres where the face of DCA is changing DCI members mostly are under strict supervision practically every minute of every day. Now within DCA or a DCA corps youre taking a mojority of kids and Im sure with alot less supervision. Kids gone wild, so to speak. Either way Not an excuse and If I were in any capacity part of the corps and saw it I would have mached myself on that field and stopped it.

Oh Well, growing pains. You may not like an out come and even rightfully so and have all the right to express dissapointment but all I would say is TIME AND PLACE.

"Adult Supervision" or not--DCA is comprised of primarily adultsl! When your staff is reacting is a classless way, then what do you think the members will do? I teach a high school program that has more class than what the Hurcs guard displayed in and out of the stadium.

The hurricane's should have known they weren't invincible! Going from a 1.5 point spread in color guard in the beginning to tenths a month before champs! Being really prepared inhe beginning with no place for growth was I think their detriment! BUT--again, the Hurs did put on a great performance, just please match the performance on the field to your retreat and you will be a highly respected guard.

But I agree GUARDLING--time and place! Take it outside to the bus, go to your hotel, get drunk and have a blast!

• Like 1

Honestly, I was working with this corps for the last month, and saw or heard NOTHING like what is being described in these posts. The staff was nothing but professional and I cannot say that I heard much complaining at all. I was actually on retreat but back by the horn line, so I didnt see any bad conduct. Of course they were disappointed but I didnt see or hear the stuff that was being mentioned here at all.

Donny

"Adult Supervision" or not--DCA is comprised of primarily adultsl! When your staff is reacting is a classless way, then what do you think the members will do? I teach a high school program that has more class than what the Hurcs guard displayed in and out of the stadium.

The hurricane's should have known they weren't invincible! Going from a 1.5 point spread in color guard in the beginning to tenths a month before champs! Being really prepared inhe beginning with no place for growth was I think their detriment! BUT--again, the Hurs did put on a great performance, just please match the performance on the field to your retreat and you will be a highly respected guard.

But I agree GUARDLING--time and place! Take it outside to the bus, go to your hotel, get drunk and have a blast!

SHHHHHHHHH IF ITs the same as the past few years the guards to young to get drunk..lol :guinesssmilie:

kidding aside ..

Honestly, I was working with this corps for the last month, and saw or heard NOTHING like what is being described in these posts. The staff was nothing but professional and I cannot say that I heard much complaining at all. I was actually on retreat but back by the horn line, so I didnt see any bad conduct. Of course they were disappointed but I didnt see or hear the stuff that was being mentioned here at all.

Donny

Donny, I am glad that this beahvior was not something that was a driving force for the team in rehearsals. BUT--as a spectator, we don't know that. I am not sure of your affiliation or closness to the organization, but if I were you I would mention it to Hurcs admin and let them know what spectators are seeing. We all know that in this activity, you can do 50 things well, but the second someone sees something negative that is all anyone remembers. I would hate to go to a show and the only thing I hear is "how unprofessional the Hurricane's guard is." They are a wonderful group of performers, and would want that to shine through!

Also, looking at the recap, the Hurricanes took first in "Achievement" by a tenth. That goes right along with what people saw. What they took second in was "Composition," by two-tenths. That was the crucial difference between the two guards.