Hurricanes Color Guard

I know when I go out to retreat I usually can feel the weight of a tough season lift from my shoulders as we line up. It's a weird frame of mind to be in. I'd cut those kids some slack, a bit of loopyness is to be expected at that point. The Hurcs organization is a class act. A little over emoting at retreat doesn't change that.

Without "ticks" to count, a judge has to look at the COMPOSITION of the area and say "this guard composition is .1, .2, etc better than that guard." Then the judge looks at EXECUTION of that show and says the same.

It sounds like the Hurcs' guard was way ahead of everyone in the early season, but others caught up. In the case of MBI, they ALMOST (0.1) caught up in execution. However, the Hurcs' composition was exceeded by MBI by 0.2, making up the difference, plus 0.1 left for a spread.

It appears that the color guard judge applied the same principles that a boxing judge does under the "10-point must" system. The winner of a round gets 10 points, the loser 9, unless it is lopsided, then 8.

There are two parts to a color guard score....Hurcs and MBI split.....but MBI was more effective than Hurcs in their stronger component. And since the opinion was rendered by a judge, it's more than an opinion, it's the score and final decision. It is the only opinion that counts. It is the only opinion that appears on the DCA caption RECAP sheet.

.....and, it takes nothing away from the Hurcs guard or their season, just as the Bucs have nothing taken from them or their season. MBI impressed the judges more in that performance.

Joe

and ticks were just as subjective if not more than what is there now.

quick, show me the manual of clearly defined ticks in any caption

ok so where do you draw the line with what is appropriate for retreat?

the last few years there has been

party noise makers

glowsticks

funny hats

beads

toys

beach balls

whens its that close its nothing more than a subjective opinion ..same with GE...members need to also know this as much as it may sting or even not be accurate...still no excuse for un professional behavior in public\I would almost bet for those fans who witnessed this if the guard handled it better there would have been posts here how they should have won.......tenths lost in polularity and thats worst than 1 judges opinion

...subjective *is* opinion. It's *all* opinion, if we want to get even *close* to accurately quantifying performance, "compulsories" becomes a reality. (And it's *still* opinion!) :tongue:

Totally with you on the behavior front, dude... :worthy:

cg

I know when I go out to retreat I usually can feel the weight of a tough season lift from my shoulders as we line up. It's a weird frame of mind to be in. I'd cut those kids some slack, a bit of loopyness is to be expected at that point. The Hurcs organization is a class act. A little over emoting at retreat doesn't change that.

Well if they are a class act, then I expect the administration of the Hurricane's will be handling these behaviors in the future. Being loopy and relaxed is one thing, but their behavior was a sight to see.

But I find it funny that some here are defending the Hurcs guard and their antics. But let's be real, if Reading did ANYTHING remotely disrespectful at retreat this year, they would have been sore losers and there would have been a mile long post about how "they should be gracious in their loss and thankful for what they have had!" Same can be said here...Hurricane's, you have won guard at every contest this year except finals...be thankful!

• Like 1

a judge should be judging what is presented Not a personal preference. You judge the what and the how , a non themed show should be able to have just as much success and a themed show. Look at Phamt. reg. this year sure it was a theme( Juliet ) but other than the girl stabbing herself at the end and they all had dresses on and a Juliet look, thats as far as it went. Many thought , including me in the beginning they were dated, and very 1985 old SCV looking but I must say at the end everthing they did was just right for that show....You just have to do what you do well,and communicate it and have a well written program with all the components within the sheets .

Agreed, judge what is presented. And agreed on the point where you have to do what you do well. BUT--looking at Hurcs and MBI and even Reading. They were the top 3 guards this year, all portraying a different theme and all portraying it in a different way and in different doses. Hurricanes come out with brief case props and flags, cityscape flags and a "suitlike" uniform has to compete against the viking ship, sheilds and paddles, viking character and the set up of valhalla--I'm sorry I have to give it to MBI for the continuity of theme. And it seems that most of the top DCI guard in the last year or two are also protraying a theme...hello, Cadets, Cavaliers, Crown, BD--all theme driven (as well as others).

GUARDLING--trust me, I agree whole heartedly with your sentiments on the judging. And it sounds like you and I have the same taste levels (as I LOVED PR this year), it just doesn't seem to be the trend to reward color guard for color guard sake. Seems like the buzz phrase around the activity is how over the top you take it.

Well if they are a class act, then I expect the administration of the Hurricane's will be handling these behaviors in the future. Being loopy and relaxed is one thing, but their behavior was a sight to see.

But I find it funny that some here are defending the Hurcs guard and their antics. But let's be real, if Reading did ANYTHING remotely disrespectful at retreat this year, they would have been sore losers and there would have been a mile long post about how "they should be gracious in their loss and thankful for what they have had!" Same can be said here...Hurricane's, you have won guard at every contest this year except finals...be thankful!

I am not defending anyone...I just didnt see it. I found that working with the guard staff, they seemed very professsional.

Donny

I agree with you Donny, the staff is very professional. Unfortunately they are not the issue people are referring to here.

I don't think it was so much the 'complete production' thing as it was the fact that unlike the corps you cited above, the Hurricanes brought nothing new to the table. Their Gershwin show was fairly pedestrian, an almost generic take on subject matter we've all heard a thousand times. If you are going to choose music that's been played so much, do something new and exciting with it...something original. Or, better yet, if you want to do Gershwin, use music we haven't heard. I would have killed to hear Cuban Overture on the field. But instead we get the same old rehash of Rhapsody and Concerto in F and Porgy & Bess, played exactly the same way it's always done.

At least with Reading's version of the Mambo and MBI's take on Mingus, we got something very different. It was really refreshing.

As for the guard's behavior at retreat, I place at least some blame on the culture of color guard today. While I really love indoor guard and influence it's brought to the field from a design standpoint, I absolutely detest the way most circuits (TIA and WGI included, among many) allow retreat at their championships to be conducted. Full groups with plastic toys, glitter bombs, blowing bubbles...you know the drill. Yea, maybe it's fun for them, but it's classless when it makes it's way to the drum corps field.

IMO the guard score should have nothing to do with what the corps proper chose to play. Gershwin or Mary Had a Little Lamb or whatever. If all the elements are there in Box 5, they are the cleanest, best use of body, composition, performance, etc. That to me should be the guard that wins that caption.

IMO the guard score should have nothing to do with what the corps proper chose to play. Gershwin or Mary Had a Little Lamb or whatever. If all the elements are there in Box 5, they are the cleanest, best use of body, composition, performance, etc. That to me should be the guard that wins that caption.

...the trick, I think, is to separate the *show* element and judge guard strictly as "guard", is that what you mean, Liz? Boy, I dunno, 'cause if the overall program is mentioned *anywhere* on the sheets, in any form, it can't be done...does that make sense? That said, a compulsory component for all captions *and* the corps proper would at least bring the mechanical aspects into better focus and further refine how the groups are adjudicated. A subjective tick system, if you will... :blink:

cg

Edited by chasgroh