Hurricanes Color Guard

I think what yall are hinting at is the Guard Integration into the show.

ya know, i came from a background where flinching at retreat as bad. Hell, we loved being so stiff, it freaked everyone around us out. Tommy Allen may still have nightmares

:tongue:

ya know, i came from a background where flinching at retreat as bad. Hell, we loved being so stiff, it freaked everyone around us out. Tommy Allen may still have nightmares

Y'know, Jeff, I was thinking the same thing. Way back in the Dark Ages, we (and this included all corps) stood there at parade rest and didn't budge - win, lose, or draw. Even a smile got one chewed out once we were back at the bus.

I must admit to being taken aback somewhat at my first DCA retreat in 2005 in Scranton (after almost fifty years away). While waiting in the tunnel, I was stunned by the balloons, light sticks, bubbles, etc. I kinda wrote it off to youthful exhuberance until a critter in skirt danced up to me and started gyrating a la Gypsy Rose Lee. After a brief conversation with several of my colleagues, he was allowed to go away unharmed.

Y'know, Jeff, I was thinking the same thing. Way back in the Dark Ages, we (and this included all corps) stood there at parade rest and didn't budge - win, lose, or draw. Even a smile got one chewed out once we were back at the bus.

I must admit to being taken aback somewhat at my first DCA retreat in 2005 in Scranton (after almost fifty years away). While waiting in the tunnel, I was stunned by the balloons, light sticks, bubbles, etc. I kinda wrote it off to youthful exhuberance until a critter in skirt danced up to me and started gyrating a la Gypsy Rose Lee. After a brief conversation with several of my colleagues, he was allowed to go away unharmed.

As he should have been....

• Like 1

Unfortunately my experience with the Hurricanes is slightly different. So much so, that I actually had a conversation with my son and told him the the judges do NOT have it out for the Hurricanes, but that they received the score they likely deserved. I also said when it is that close, it is going to be met with resistance no matter which way it goes.

I have witnessed and heard staff very loudly saying the judges hate them, and telling the members how they got screwed. That is not how to do business in DCA or any other activity. It is not just an issue with Hurcs tho, as I also heard and witnessed in years past.

Sorry to say this, but it is what I have heard with my own ears.

• Like 1

ROBOTS...LOL

...the trick, I think, is to separate the *show* element and judge guard strictly as "guard", is that what you mean, Liz? Boy, I dunno, 'cause if the overall program is mentioned *anywhere* on the sheets, in any form, it can't be done...does that make sense? That said, a compulsory component for all captions *and* the corps proper would at least bring the mechanical aspects into better focus and further refine how the groups are adjudicated. A subjective tick system, if you will... :blink:

cg

cumpulsories were taken out of Skating for a reason..its restrictive and doesnt really prove anything..so we can all do A B and C.....guard is inherent in every caption including music..ticks are just as subjective..thats why the tick system was a hot mess and didnt work. I would hate to see any corps restricted in their movement, show design, or having to do some nonsense list of things everyone does... We grew so far past that almost 40 years ago..pleaseeeeeee lets not head backward.

cumpulsories were taken out of Skating for a reason..its restrictive and doesnt really prove anything..so we can all do A B and C.....guard is inherent in every caption including music..ticks are just as subjective..thats why the tick system was a hot mess and didnt work. I would hate to see any corps restricted in their movement, show design, or having to do some nonsense list of things everyone does... We grew so far past that almost 40 years ago..pleaseeeeeee lets not head backward.

...what I'm suggesting is not to restrict show design in any way...compulsories would require the groups to do certain things and get rated on their efforts, and be a separate thing entirely. And it really isn't analogous to figure skating in that it's ensemble oriented. I'm probably barking at the moon, I know; but this component would absolutely level the playing field for all competitors...maybe to the point of dialing back what is written for a season or two in order to get on track, because it would be a percentage of total score. I'm into the ensemble marching aspect much more than color guard (although I've taught and written guard shows, at least BITD) and see lapses cropping up if not year to year, than by larger increments of time. I'm a craftsman also, and see the old ways lost on a pretty consistent basis (which is why I'm in demand...LOL); it's no different in movement. I know it'll never happen, but I can expound a bit, eh? :satisfied:

cg

...what I'm suggesting is not to restrict show design in any way...compulsories would require the groups to do certain things and get rated on their efforts, and be a separate thing entirely. And it really isn't analogous to figure skating in that it's ensemble oriented. I'm probably barking at the moon, I know; but this component would absolutely level the playing field for all competitors...maybe to the point of dialing back what is written for a season or two in order to get on track, because it would be a percentage of total score. I'm into the ensemble marching aspect much more than color guard (although I've taught and written guard shows, at least BITD) and see lapses cropping up if not year to year, than by larger increments of time. I'm a craftsman also, and see the old ways lost on a pretty consistent basis (which is why I'm in demand...LOL); it's no different in movement. I know it'll never happen, but I can expound a bit, eh? :satisfied:

cg

after guards master the cumpulsory it will just even it out to what it is now..the problem is todays drum corps doesnt just mean the guard with no drops win....many people from the past and Im from the past well well as today, dont understand that...they see a drop and automatically think oh well so and so won....its not that cut and dry... there sre so many elements and components within a guard presentation and even the cleanest could find themselves in 2nd place ...Im sure that last statement will confuse some even more..lol...sorry

Edited by GUARDLING

I remember sitting in the stands during retreat 2005 and watching a particular guard do some things that I thought was a bit over the top in a sexual nature. And mind you it takes a lot to shock me and make me feel uncomfortable. I cannot imagine what the popcorn eaters or the average fan thought of it.