Favorite Moments of the 2011 DCA Finals Weekend

being on stage for The Hit Men's return to I & E- no feeling like that standing O.

Running around like a crazy person all weekend, helping with Bridgemen errands, cooking and cleaning to host Star United at my house for Sunday rehearsal, knowing that I live in and perform in THE BEST DRUM CORPS CITY IN THE COUNTRY!

practicing with Bridgemen and enjoying Lynn Davis' annual roast of George Lavelle

the sustained applause and standing O at the Doubletree as MBI returned from winning prelims

parking lot run through at stupid-o'clock on Sunday morning at The Doubletree to get ready for Bridgemen to own the Alumni Corps field.

Marching with Bridgemen at MY HOME SHOW

participating in the awesome spectacle of the Salute to Heroes finale

being a pit bi#*h for Star United's Sunday evening exhibition, to once again hear the front row of spectators repeatedly exclaiming " oh my god...oh my god.....oh my GOD!. "

• Like 3

1) Watching Star United's performance. One word.....AMAZING!

2) Hanging out with my mini corps friends from Golden Eagles. Man...I miss you guys!!!

3) Mass Brass and Ghost Riders. Both corps were on top of their game Friday night!

4) Taking the field for the first time in 11 years at a DCA Prelims contest.

5) Praying to a fallen friend right before Finals, and a video of it making the DCA montage at the end of the night.

6) Taking the field for the first time in 11 years at a DCA Finals contest.

7) Finishing the season!!!!

8) Watching Star United's rehearsal before their performance at Finals. Couldn't think it was possible, but Even better than Friday night!!!

9) Making Jim Costello proud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are so many more memorable moments, but these are at the top of the list!

Edited by FPonzo
  • Like 1

The feeling I got when MBI came out of the stadium past the Buccaneers' trucks after their prelims score was announced, and the look on their faces when Bucs admin, support staff and pit clapped for them and congratulated them--it was a look of pure joy and gratitude.

The emotion I felt when Bill and I drove our trucks past MBIs trucks after finals when their members and admin all turned towards us clapping and thanking us. I was verklempt!!

• Like 1

I've been working on a list in my head but seeing Amy's post made me want to jump in and add to hers.

After observing both the Buccaneers and MBI closely during the weekend, and subsequent communications, Facebook postings and so forth, it seems pretty clear to me that members of both organizations will have highlights involving interaction with, respect for, kudos from, etc., from members the other organization. In other words, the mutual respect, admiration, camaraderie and good will that exists between both corps runs pretty deep, at all levels of both organizations.

That, IMHO, is freakin' awesome.

• Like 3

When the Bucs prepared for retreat at Lewisburg, we were alongside of MBI. I met Laura of the color guard. At Rochester when the corps merged to troop the stands, we were again alongside of MBI. There was Laura. What a moment for us to treasure!!

Edited by Dwight
  • Like 1

A couple moments that made the weekend special for me:

First and foremost, the pure classiness of everyone I encountered involved in the Buccaneers organization. These guys are top notch, seriously :worthy:

The prolonged standing ovation received from members of Renegades and Bridgemen as we returned to our hotel after prelims. Thanks guys :thumbup:

And sharing this entire experience with my other family, the Govenaires. From I&E, to the soaking wet post-retreat party on the field. What a great bonding experience for these two great MN corps.

The moment that almost brought me to tears though, was lining up behind the field right before our finals performance, facing the Side 1 endzone, and there are the Govenaires, decked out in full uniform, waving their green corps flags for us and screaming VALHALLA at the top of their lungs. Best pre-show hype ever. Love you guys :inlove:

• Like 3

There were many things that I enjoyed about the weekend, but from a purely personal standpoint it had to be taking the field for retreat and standing the rain for the announcement of scores. While others in the Kilties and other corps have waited even longer than I for the chance to be there in that moment, I had looked forward to, and worked hard to be in that moment for a LONG time. It didn't matter to me that there were 200 people in the stands to see it or that Mother Nature rained on my parade, it was something I will always remember - not just the moment itself, but also the time and effort it took to get there.

Having marched on that field for the first time enjoying Hurricane Ernesto leftovers back in 2006, I guess it was only fitting that I would leave that field soaking wet once again. (On the upside, I think it was about 20-30 degrees warmer this time and just a bit less windy...)

:smile:

Ryan J

Hey Spandy - Are you going for a Mini-corps Championship next!?! You've won most everything else - congrats!

Edited by Irish-Kiltie

Playing at the Alumni Spectacular was pretty amazing.

Really enjoyed Bridgemen's New York traffic and Scout House's wooden soldiers. Very entertaining.

Lastly, the Bugles Across America performance at Alumni Spectacular was very well done and quite emotional, especially the echo Taps. This is a tradition that should continue year after year.

Also my favorite quote of the weekend, MBI starts their show with the blowing of the Viking horn. One of my fellow corps members, "That's the worst soprano I've ever heard."

I thought the Viking horn was a Shofar. I said to myself, "Cool! We have Jewish Vikings!"

• Like 1

Hey Spandy - Are you going for a Mini-corps Championship next!?! You've won most everything else - congrats!

Thank you!!! I'm just gonna keep on doing my thing, and if gold medals keep following me, then so be it :smile:

Really though, I've been incredibly fortunate these past several years, and the scores and medals are nothing compared to the experiences I've had and the friends I've made along the way.

Let's see... where to start? I suppose in no particular order:

Getting my slimmer, trimmer butt back out on the field.

Joining a very small list of corps to make Finals in their first year of competition.

Leaving everything I had out there on the field on Sunday.

Doing a Finals retreat for the first time since 2007.

Sharing the field with some of the greatest people I've ever had the privilege of marching with.

Suiting up and making the trek to the stadium as passersby gazed on us in awed silence.

Savoring the last Red Osier beef on kummelweck I'll see for a few years.

Dancing in the hotel bar to the Michael Jackson megamix.

Hearing the crowd as we took the field and made it ours.