Weekend Thoughts - Prelims and Finals

Just like Jeff Ream, I didn’t write anything down but since I saw just about everything and it’s my fifth year here, I thought I’d also add some thoughts and hopefully I don’t get too many details about the performances confused. Also, even though I play horn now, I’m still guard at heart which will be obvious in my reviews.

I will start with my one overall negative comment of the weekend so it only goes up from here…

Guard Uniforms – Please, please, please get the guards out of body suits. It’s a fact that many of us still doing DCA guard are not of junior corps “proportions” and emphasizing that with body suits is very distracting. If you must go that way for show design, follow Hurricanes’ lead with a short skirt for the ladies or Caballeros by breaking the body line with patterns and elongating the performer with a raised waist. I think some of the Alumni Corps have it right with some great guard uniforms like Boston Senior that aren’t strictly old-school.

Prelims and Finals

Saw Prelims from eight rows back lower level and Finals from the first row lower level about the 40.

Excelsior – Just missed your start but heard you from under the stands. Some nice stuff going on. I dig Mangione so it was fun to hear you play.

Cincinnati Tradition – I don’t remember too many specifics except I loved, loved, loved the Zorro ballad.

Shenandoah Sound – One of my favorite shows of the day. Guard you were small but mighty and I could tell you were having an absolute blast out there. Your performance presence and projection was some of the best of the day and I had the pleasure of telling your guard instructor that in person at your souvie booth. Obviously the corps has some more growing to do in execution (which will come in time) but the corps performance was just filled with fun and I’ll take that any day over a superbly executed show that bores me to tears. Keep up the good work.

White Sabers – I just remember liking the show and that you had some very beautiful silks.

High Country Brass – Loved the show. Very well put together and performed pretty darn well. It was obvious you guys were having fun. Guard was strong as well. I do agree with Jeff about the horns getting a bit tired at the end and you already know your percussion issues, but like I mentioned before, I’ll take shows like this with some execution issues where it’s just fun to watch over a superbly executed, boring show any day. Got to meet Mr. Nielsen out on the loading dock after mini corps and it sounds like you guys have a great thing going on there. Keep up the great work. Also, I’ll give a shout out to any Blue Knights alumni you may have from 95, 96.

Sunrisers – A well-executed show with some nice guard moments. Also appreciated the solo horn performances.

Windsor Regiment – I didn’t find out this was your first year until Jeff’s review, so now I am even more impressed. I thought both prelims and finals went well for you and I agree with Jeff about the pit. They had some really nice musical moments. Congrats on finals in your first year. Very impressive.

Carolina Gold – Very strong performance. I’m not a fan of props such as the suitcases, but I thought you did an excellent job with them. If every corps used props as well as this I’d be thrilled. Also, nice footwork in the pit. That’s right… footwork in the pit. I was first row so I caught it. 8o) Strong show all around and congrats on your brass ensemble win at I&E.

Fusion Core – I thought you guys were very strong. Guard performed very well with the theme. I really appreciated the headdresses in the beginning and appreciated it even more when they weren’t worn throughout the entire show. Very nice design call on their use. Percussion was also strong. Corps was an obvious contender for the title both nights. I knew it would be close.

Govenaires – Love, love, love this show! It’s said every year, and it’s true, you guys really know how to design a show for a corps your size. You never go too big with the concept and you’re obviously reaping the benefits of these smart decisions. This was my favorite show of yours of the five years I’ve seen and the proposal and wedding were hilarious. We had some Freelancers that had never been to DCA before and had no idea what to expect from you guys and they were having a blast during your show. That was great to see. I love a guard book that is not only well-written, but written to the level of the performers, so not only is it musical, it is CLEAN and you guys delivered that in spades. And your hornline… your hornline. I actually do hate you just a bit, because even though you have a small hornline, every player is so strong. How do you do that?!? Also, the horns and soloist in Only Fools Rush In were phenomenal and the use and staging of the guard with the white silks was one of the best moments of the weekend. I thought the whole corps killed it both nights and earned a well-deserved title. Congratulations.

Bushwackers – I’ll second what Jeff said on just surviving and not giving up. I was not a fan of the show concept, but I’m glad you guys stuck it out this season and wish you only the best for the future.

Tampa Bay Thunder – Outstanding accomplishment for your first year! The corps look is clean and crisp. I like it very much. Your guard soloist was amazing. I couldn’t keep my eyes off of him both shows. He sold the show beautifully without any cheese. Hard to do, but he found a way to pull it off. The rest of the corps sounds like its coming along pretty well too. Keep up the great work.

Kilties – You’re the Kilties, and I love you guys, but I was a bit disappointed. I’m thrilled you made Finals this year (yay!) and except for the opener everything seemed a bit timid from every section in both shows. I’m guessing part of that was just being careful to keep your placement, especially in prelims, but I would have liked to see you let loose a bit more, but clean up the execution a bit. The guard uniform seemed to stick out like a sore thumb. I couldn’t wrap my head around how it fit the theme and just some minor integration of some sort with the corps uniform would have been appreciated. Also, when you cut the guard off at the calves in your uniform design please don’t throw on black shoes. You’ve just taken out any chance of elongation the guard ever had and you’ve put a huge beacon on their feet highlighting marching mistakes. The corps is already fighting an uphill battle wearing spats so don’t make it worse with contrasting guard shoes. Ending on positive notes… The soloists were eleventy billion times better this year (I think you got control of the nerves that have bit you in the past) and the opener was an absolute blast. And please don’t take my comments the wrong way because I truly do love you guys. You’re one of my favorite corps and I can’t wait to see you again.

CorpsVets – I’m not going to lie. I kind of have no idea how the horns or percussion did because I was watching the guard the entire time both shows. The guard was strong throughout and the weapons lines even more so. I mentioned before to write to the level of your performers and CorpsVets has the talent and the work highlighted that. Those red, white and black silks were gorgeous and incredibly effective. Nice, complex, musical, mostly clean work. I love it. I could have done without the costume change though. I do remember a very nice horn solo on the euph, as well. From what I can remember, a much improved show from last year.

Alliance – I can’t remember many details except percussion… wow. I dug the show and the people around me in the audience dug the show. What more could you want? You guys do a great job every year and this year was no exception.

Renegades – Best show of yours, and my favorite of yours, in the five years I’ve seen, by far. Actually caught you from the endzone in Finals and the marching execution was clean, clean, clean. You were leaps and bounds over what I last saw at Diablo Valley College in NorCal. To be honest, I was a bit worried about you then, but it’s obvious I was wasting energy. And the pit… I always judge a pit book on whether I want to play it or not and I loved your pit book in NorCal. I fell even more deeply in love with it at DCA. I would have loved to play a book like that. Wendy, Rubi and company killed it. Strong showing from all sections and I’m just so happy for you guys.

Caballeros – Fun, fun, fun and did I mention fun? You guys always bring it. There’s never a question about the show being well done and this year was no exception. If you guys could bottle up the Caballeros’ spirit and sell it you’d be bazillionaires.

Hurricanes – Another one of my favorite corps. I look forward to you guys every year and this year you didn’t disappoint. Loved the show and was enraptured by the guard. I had the guard first on both prelims and finals. It’s also of note that you guys are killing it and staying competitive while embracing the all-age part of all-age corps. You guys are inspiring and when I grow up (and move 2,700 miles across country) I want to march in your corps. 8o) I had you over Empire at finals.

Empire Statesmen – You guys have my favorite two DCA shows of the five years I’ve participated… “Going to Oz” and the Maynard show, so my expectations for you guys are incredibly high. This show was great and though I don’t quite have it up there with Oz and Maynard, it was still very entertaining. I lost some of the musical selections in the first part of the show, but I’m also one of the eight people in the world that doesn’t own MJ albums and didn’t listen to his music all that much. That being said, the show from Smooth Criminal on was a blast, literally. I loved the guard tops and the DM’s jacket. They were incredibly effective and they looked amazing under the lights. I also appreciated the black backs of the guard top and thought they were used rather well in effect for the performance. I can’t wait to see what you bring to the table next year.

Buccaneers – Though there’s no doubt with this corps regarding performance and execution, I’m very hit and miss with you guys as far as being entertained, and this year had me right in the middle. I did feel the show was less DCI-ish than it has been in the past and I did appreciate that. Downstairs this show was quite dirty marching wise. I’m not sure if maybe the drill was just a bit too hard for the members this year. Unfortunately, I also thought the use of the ballet bars were pretty ineffective. They didn’t add much for me visually or thematically. They just seemed a bit clunky. Lastly, the shows in both prelims and finals seemed to be missing the “oomph.” I’m not sure what it was and I don’t have recommendations to fix it, but it seemed something was missing compared to the corps that performed before and after you. Regardless of my particular show taste, your talent cannot be denied and there’s a reason you’ve won so many titles in a row. I’m in awe of the products you put out every year. Keep up the amazing work.

Minnesota Brass – Wow. Just wow. The Viking ship entrance was spectacular. Talk about setting a mood…. holy cow! The guard was incredibly strong and I love me some strong guard though the guard uniform looked just a bit messy for me with the dangling cloth pieces. Clean that up just a bit and the uniforms would have been perfect. As for the show, it was just a repeated serving of awesomeness over and over again. You can tell you guys have been going for the title every year but you were going for the title this year. It was in every step, every attack, every catch, just everything. The brass was nuanced and powerful, the percussion was on fire and the guard was doing their thing and doing it well. I’m so excited for you all. I’m thrilled all your hard work has finally paid off in a Championship title. It’s very well-deserved. Huge congratulations!!!

P.S. Where exactly do you and Govies get all your amazing performers in Minnesota? Is there a secret drum corps compound out there none of the rest of us knows about?

Star United – Great encore showing. Just as nicely done as the Friday night performance. Congrats again on your win.

Edited by Cathie Wiener
  • Like 2

Nice review

P.S. Where exactly do you and Govies get all your amazing performers in Minnesota? Is there a secret drum corps compound out there none of the rest of us knows about?

It's a secret, but I can tell you we raise them from infancy. :devil:

• Like 3

Do you really think Patricks is 'just' a bar?

• Like 3

You see a lot of Scouts, Blue Stars, Colts alumni in that area. Irondale (frequent WGI Finalists), Coon Rapids (WGI regional finalists), Champlin Park, Eden Prairie, St. Cloud high schools. There's a lot of talent in the area.

Cathie,

Thank you for the review and the kind remarks about the Govs.

To (some what) answer your question I have to say we come into this thing (drum corps) with the mind set that we are performers first.

We authentically care about each other and our community and the rest kinda takes care of itself.

One more thing, we laugh alot.

Lar P

Music Dir./ Brass Caption head, Gov Love

• Like 1

Thanks for the review. We were very pleased with our performance and look forward to the 2012 season!