Weekend Thoughts - Prelims and Finals

Renegades – Best show of yours, and my favorite of yours, in the five years I’ve seen, by far. Actually caught you from the endzone in Finals and the marching execution was clean, clean, clean. You were leaps and bounds over what I last saw at Diablo Valley College in NorCal. To be honest, I was a bit worried about you then, but it’s obvious I was wasting energy. And the pit… I always judge a pit book on whether I want to play it or not and I loved your pit book in NorCal. I fell even more deeply in love with it at DCA. I would have loved to play a book like that. Wendy, Rubi and company killed it. Strong showing from all sections and I’m just so happy for you guys.

Thanks Cathie for your kind words...maybe in the future you can join in on the pit fun! :)

Brian Sears

Front Ensemble Arranger/Instructor

San Francisco Renegades

• Like 1

Cathie, I, too, thought that MB was a gas. They were a real breath of fresh air. They had a neat theme and image which seemed regionally appropriate with Minnesota being home to more than a few of Swedish heritage. The thematic adaptation took some of the best DCI ideas while not seeming like a clone. There was humor (loved the ram's horn calls) along with great design and just plain great playing. Congratulations Minnesota Brass. I am so happy for you!

Biggest amount of space devoted to what she didn't like about Kilties who finally made a final! Some things never change.

Cathie,

Thank you for the review and the kind remarks about the Govs.

To (some what) answer your question I have to say we come into this thing (drum corps) with the mind set that we are performers first.

We authentically care about each other and our community and the rest kinda takes care of itself.

One more thing, we laugh alot.

Lar P

Music Dir./ Brass Caption head, Gov Love

You have a good formula Larry. One fun and talented group !!

Biggest amount of space devoted to what she didn't like about Kilties who finally made a final! Some things never change.

Well actually, if you remove the positive comments from her Kilties paragraph and size it up with with the criticisms of Bucs show, I believe you would have a fairly similar amount of space.

Now if it wasn't a complete waste of time, you could do a word count of each paragraph to see which group she truly 'devoted' more space to not liking. Only then would we truly know whether her anti-Buc bias outweighs her anti-Kiltie bias.

Or, you could take her review with a grain of salt.

• Like 2

I think you've taken some offense when there's none to be taken. The Kilties are one of my favorite corps, always have been and you'll notice most of those negative comments were only about one small, but very visual, facet of the corps, the guard uniform. I was pretty darn heartbroken the last few years when you guys were out of Finals. To say I was thrilled you were in this year would be an understatement. So lighten up a bit, take the comments for the type of constructive criticism they were, or ignore them completely for all I care. I don't mind. But please don't take honest opinion for a dislike or personal dig on the corps.

There are always going to be differing opinions while we continue to perform in an artistic activity like we do. As is obvious in my statements, the Buccaneers aren't my cup of tea but that doesn't diminish in any way the impressive, high-quality product they put out on the field year after year and my little opinions aren't going to, and shouldn't, matter to the legion of fans that corps has.

That is all. Carry on. :smile:

• Like 2

I got picked up at some random bus station :smile::tongue:

That's how I wound up in corps too. I got on a bus filled with some scruffy looking people at a university in Southern California some random day in April, 1992. Best decision of my life.

I think you've taken some offense when there's none to be taken. The Kilties are one of my favorite corps, always have been and you'll notice most of those negative comments were only about one small, but very visual, facet of the corps, the guard uniform. I was pretty darn heartbroken the last few years when you guys were out of Finals. To say I was thrilled you were in this year would be an understatement. So lighten up a bit, take the comments for the type of constructive criticism they were, or ignore them completely for all I care. I don't mind. But please don't take honest opinion for a dislike or personal dig on the corps.

There are always going to be differing opinions while we continue to perform in an artistic activity like we do. As is obvious in my statements, the Buccaneers aren't my cup of tea but that doesn't diminish in any way the impressive, high-quality product they put out on the field year after year and my little opinions aren't going to, and shouldn't, matter to the legion of fans that corps has.

That is all. Carry on. :smile:

So there is no confusion here, I am not a representative of the Kilties simply a former member with my own opinion. I was very happy for the corps making it in this year as I marched for 7 years without that success. You are certainly entitled to express your opinion whatever it is as I am mine. I did watch the Fan Network broadcast so its clear that at least a few people seemed to enjoy Kilties performance. Its a little disappointing that your review appeared to paint a completely negative picture.

• Like 1

Hi Cathie,

Thank you for your thoughts. Our guard actually had two full set of costumes (uniforms) this season. One set was used for non field show performances such as concerts, parades, etc. that are performed more to the general public.

They were completely black comfort fit no sleeve body suits, with black shoes and one flowing Buchanan plaid (pronouned "played") over the shoulder..a more traditional look that fit closer to the brass and percussion uniforms....then we had the costumes for full field show performances, that you saw.

All the best!!

Bill

• Like 2