New John Mackey percussion concerto-"Drum Music"

Check out Mackey's September 6 blog entry on his new Percussion Concerto. You can browse the score, check out the solo part, even listen to excerpts. Bluecoats anyone?

John Mackey blog

Great Mackey quote....“After countless percussion concertos have worked so hard to prove that drummers should be seen as more than just rock stars, I’m pleased to report that the last movement of my piece is going to ruin it for everybody.”

Edited by Allegro

Seems like it might be kind of tough to march to, with the constant time changes - although it does flow pretty well, so it might only be the drum major that has to sweat it :P

Seems like it might be kind of tough to march to, with the constant time changes - although it does flow pretty well, so it might only be the drum major that has to sweat it :P

I thought "oh, this wouldn't be too hard" until I saw the third movement :blink:

Edited by rootofthechord

I like John Mackey and have actually met him in person, but I pray to God that no corps uses this except for a drum feature. Boys and girls we have evolved past mirrors and abstract music this season. Michael Cesario will not be a happy man. This is my opinion and only mine.

• Like 1

I like John Mackey and have actually met him in person, but I pray to God that no corps uses this except for a drum feature. Boys and girls we have evolved past mirrors and abstract music this season. Michael Cesario will not be a happy man. This is my opinion and only mine.

You find this abstract? It sounds straight up like head bobbing heavy metal to me!

Check out Mackey's September 6 blog entry on his new Percussion Concerto. You can browse the score, check out the solo part, even listen to excerpts. Bluecoats anyone?

John Mackey blog

Great Mackey quote....“After countless percussion concertos have worked so hard to prove that drummers should be seen as more than just rock stars, I’m pleased to report that the last movement of my piece is going to ruin it for everybody.”

No, no, no, no.

Haven't you heard: front ensembles and percussion are absolutely nothing more than support for the brass. There is absolutely no reason why they should have an entire piece of literature featuring them with wind accompaniment. That just doesn't happen... :tongue:

*reference to naive dinosaur-esque posts in another thread.

John Mackey blog

FWIW, this is a very cool piece! I'd love to hear the non-MIDI version of this but I really like it. I can see this working as a marching band or drum corps piece, but it would take some work for the wind arranger