What will happen in 2012?

skeptic

if people arent banging on the door, you have to go bang on their doors.

I know at 2 local band championships, you see up to 4 corps having tables to recruit.

when Westshore hit rock bottom after 94, we were out every weekend at band shows, contacting alumni, whatever it took.

They do that, and then some. They hosted the NYS percussion championships and had a booth there as well. Like i said, i'm willing to bet that most corps work a lot harder than reading to 'get members'. I know for a fact that reading more people in their bari line in January than we had in our whole hornline....they could cut people, we were showing up in the snow with 20 horn players in the bingo hall.... :ph34r:

Not saying that reading doesn't recruit, but AGAIN, the notion that the reason behind the other corps innability to catch up to them is due to lack of effort in the offseason just isn't true. Maybe reading had a big marketing / recruitment push 7-8 years ago that started them on this run, but it isn't true anymore....

While i agree with you, sometimes the doors you bang on don't bring exactly what you desire or need, as you know there's more to it than just filling spots.

better to bang than to not bang at all.

we took a risk...we went to a band festival full of non competing bands.

got some great untapped talent from there too, even better werent burnt out on competing

Not saying that reading doesn't recruit, but AGAIN, the notion that the reason behind the other corps innability to catch up to them is due to lack of effort in the offseason just isn't true. Maybe reading had a big marketing / recruitment push 7-8 years ago that started them on this run, but it isn't true anymore....

I marched Reading in 2004 and 2005. In 2004, the corps was continuing a recruiting push that had started a couple of years earlier. Instilling a positive experience in everything the corps did, from showing up at camps until everyone went home, and then even between camps, was priority one. A prepared, stable administration, good design and instruction was also key. The corps had some holes in the spring, but filled most by the season's start. I think we carried a couple of holes through July, that were filled by alumni.

The appeal for me when I joined (there were three of us who were active duty army band guys from Aberdeen Proving Ground) was that Reading seemed to do things the right way, and their programming was a little different from everyone else. After checking out a couple of DCA corps, Reading was far and away the most professional in their approach in all areas of the corps.

I cannot stress enough how much a prepared and stable administration factored into my decision. There were no member/instructors and very few members who were in admin positions. The few folks who did double up on admin while marching didn't miss rehearsals to hitch up a truck or make phone calls. They were members first. That's huge.

All of that carried over after 2004 into the early season of 2005. Perspective recruits liked the program. Members recruiting members is always the best way to go. The staff can only do so much to get bodies to rehearsals. The biggest difference in 2005 was that the membership decided that they were fully committed to a successful season. There were no "well, I'll just show up in June, there's gonna be a spot" mentality. Even when someone had to miss a camp for whatever reason, they were accounted for.

At that point, there was no more need to actively recruit. It became passive. Members having fun, and spreading the word brought in more talented people. The administration, staff, and membership were quick to embrace new folks. Communication was established and maintained.

It all goes back to a commitment made by the administration of the Reading Buccaneers. Jimmy Gruber and his team decided to do whatever it took to create a professional, fiscally responsible, stable organization from top to bottom. A lot of the old-timers may remember where the corps was in the early and mid 90's. The transformation didn't happen overnight, but slowly and steadily.

The Reading Buccaneers have established the formula for success in DCA. They are far and away the best administration in DCA today, and better than most DCI corps. That's a really huge deal. The Minnesota Brass followed a similar path; they started with a strong administration. It didn't happen overnight for them either, but with a steady, consistent climb led by the strong administration, dedicated staff, and committed membership.

I marched Reading in 2004 and 2005. In 2004, the corps was continuing a recruiting push that had started a couple of years earlier. Instilling a positive experience in everything the corps did, from showing up at camps until everyone went home, and then even between camps, was priority one. A prepared, stable administration, good design and instruction was also key. The corps had some holes in the spring, but filled most by the season's start. I think we carried a couple of holes through July, that were filled by alumni.

The appeal for me when I joined (there were three of us who were active duty army band guys from Aberdeen Proving Ground) was that Reading seemed to do things the right way, and their programming was a little different from everyone else. After checking out a couple of DCA corps, Reading was far and away the most professional in their approach in all areas of the corps.

I cannot stress enough how much a prepared and stable administration factored into my decision. There were no member/instructors and very few members who were in admin positions. The few folks who did double up on admin while marching didn't miss rehearsals to hitch up a truck or make phone calls. They were members first. That's huge.

All of that carried over after 2004 into the early season of 2005. Perspective recruits liked the program. Members recruiting members is always the best way to go. The staff can only do so much to get bodies to rehearsals. The biggest difference in 2005 was that the membership decided that they were fully committed to a successful season. There were no "well, I'll just show up in June, there's gonna be a spot" mentality. Even when someone had to miss a camp for whatever reason, they were accounted for.

At that point, there was no more need to actively recruit. It became passive. Members having fun, and spreading the word brought in more talented people. The administration, staff, and membership were quick to embrace new folks. Communication was established and maintained.

It all goes back to a commitment made by the administration of the Reading Buccaneers. Jimmy Gruber and his team decided to do whatever it took to create a professional, fiscally responsible, stable organization from top to bottom. A lot of the old-timers may remember where the corps was in the early and mid 90's. The transformation didn't happen overnight, but slowly and steadily.

The Reading Buccaneers have established the formula for success in DCA. They are far and away the best administration in DCA today, and better than most DCI corps. That's a really huge deal. The Minnesota Brass followed a similar path; they started with a strong administration. It didn't happen overnight for them either, but with a steady, consistent climb led by the strong administration, dedicated staff, and committed membership.

all this is why they have been successful.....there are a few corps out there run by some alumni or marcher/admins and in some cases it works and many cases doesnt. I know one corps for sure that is run by a few alumni who were the worst offenders of almost everything as members...not good....even their current members are aware of this but some intrench themselves never to be blasted out.

Its been obvious that Bucs have done something different from top to bottom in their corps.....Good Luck in the future.

Yeah, thats about what I expected. Add in the fact that they were THE CORPS to go to if you wanted to win, and no amount of recruiting could match it. With their loss, and C2 forming, the dynasty should break up a little bit now (not saying reading cant win next year, but it is no longer a forgone conclusion)

As far as having fun and spreading the word, i live 45 mins south of reading (and i'm getting married in guess where....ABERDEEN! on saturday), yet i still drive to empire, along with folks from the eastern shore, frederick, and columbia MD....and we're all going back next year :thumbup:

i will be interested to see how reading handles the loss. this will be interesting. also how will MBI handle winning. that will also be interesting. i can't predict what will happen but i've seen strange things happen to corps in the past. nothing is a given. i've seen corps have a dynasty after winning and i've seen them collapse. i've seen a favorite collapse after losing and i've seen them come on like gang busters. you just don't know.

i will be interested to see how reading handles the loss. this will be interesting. also how will MBI handle winning. that will also be interesting. i can't predict what will happen but i've seen strange things happen to corps in the past. nothing is a given. i've seen corps have a dynasty after winning and i've seen them collapse. i've seen a favorite collapse after losing and i've seen them come on like gang busters. you just don't know.

The actual loss itself will have no impact on Reading at all. They are not angry, they do not believe "we got screwed", or any of that nonsense. They know they were beaten by a superior corps in Minnesota Brass. You also might want to remember that while Minnesota Brass beat them, no other DCA corps was really all that close. So *that* undefeated streak is still very much intact.

What I see affecting them (if anything does), is you may see some designers or staff take a break or move to another corps. Rich Hammond and Gino Cipriani in particular will likely be asked to teach C2. I have no idea if they have or if they'd go, it's pure logical speculation on my part.

Even if a few staff do go somewhere else, its not the end of the world. Reading, via Jimmy Gruber and Carl Ruocco, will have an easy time "reloading".

• Like 1

I can guarantee MBI handles it better than Westshore's leadership did after 96

That would go over like a fart in church ($1 to my father, rip)

I don't think that would ever happen, would it? I will say, the new uniforms bug me. I love looking at the alumni's uniforms... those would be the original? The competing corps kick pleats were made smaller, but they don't look right, some aren't hemmed right and sit 5 inches off of the ground.

I thought the Inspires uniforms were fantastic! I would imagine if the Muchachos were still around they would have graduated into exactly that. It would be cool to take the Inspires uni and put a zipper at the kick pleat, so that they can be closed during performances, then unleash the pleat for retreat, parades, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Cabs fan and love the uniform and tradition. Coolest thing in DCA. However, this year in particular, the uniforms seemed to be holding them back.

As far as having fun and spreading the word, i live 45 mins south of reading (and i'm getting married in guess where....ABERDEEN! on saturday), yet i still drive to empire, along with folks from the eastern shore, frederick, and columbia MD....and we're all going back next year :thumbup:

Congratulations Nick and best wishes to you and your bride to be. (PS Is she aware of your Drum Corps commitment?). I took a date to a drum corps show. She sat there totally in awe all evening. Her comment after the first corps, "This is amazing, where has this been all my life." We married 4 months later. That was 42 years ago. Kids marched, wife toured as a volunteer. I hope you find the same happiness.