What will happen in 2012?

skeptic

It really seems like Empire, Hurcs and Cabs are content with where they are because nothing seems to be changing for them to get better than the year before.

I really can't comment on Hurcs because I sort of feel like you do about them.

But in the case of Empire and Cabs ive seen some programming and execution from the that I thought was up there to go head to head with Bucs and MBI.

Got to remember that judging is still subjective to what the judges want to award points for.

IMO that was not the case this year with Empire. I didn't think that particular show had the legs to go the distance.

• Like 1

new unis for cabs would help

That would go over like a fart in church ($1 to my father, rip)

• Like 1

Like Nails on a chalkboard. These are the days of our lives.

I'll sleep better tonight :tongue:

IMO that was not the case this year with Empire. I didn't think that particular show had the legs to go the distance.

Oz was incredible. This year while great, was not Oz.

You can't pick the home run show every year.

Even during the Bucs runs, some of the shows were not as incredible as others.

But they got it done and why?

Winter time work. members that join and stay committed. Not plugging in holes all summer long. Not screwing around getting the show on the field. Having a full corps.

Except for an emergency, if you're still plugging holes in July, you're ####ed. I know MBI had holes at Lewisburg, but that wasn't for a lackof bodies, it was because they had bodies that couldn't make the trip.

Everyone says every year how prepared Bucs are when they hit Wildwood. Well now you know why.

That would go over like a fart in church ($1 to my father, rip)

No kidding. But- at the risk of being sacreligious, maybe that's not such a bad idea. With visual programs starting to become more modern and more demanding having a uniform that would hide bad feet and make the performers look taller would help. (Of course black and blue is taken) They will have to come up with a great uniform, while still staying true to their heritage. Than they can pull out the traditional uniforms for their anniversaries.

As much as I love kick pleats, they don't do a whole lot to hide bad feet. That's probably why they put such an effort into actually having good technique, since they can't hide it otherwise.

:peek: Going back into a safe place now so. Making sure I'm not grounded so Coz's lightning bolt wont hit me.

As far as staff- Hiring and firing isn't always the answer. When the design team is meeting in September and October, they just need to think REALLY outside the box and be creative. When a designer thinks... no way could we pull that off, maybe you need to stop and think..... well, can we??? What Bucs and MBI have done is taken that creative line between whats possible and whats not, and pushed it further towards whats possible. Couple that with a deep theme that offers a continuing story throughout the corps performance and you've got a show with championship potential.

Step 2 is making sure you get and keep as many members as you can during the winter months. Be it a strict attendance policy, winter appearances that the corps proper performs at, or just an overall enjoyable atmosphere... corps win championships in the winter, not in the summer.

($1 to a great man who used to say that a lot)

Edited by irishbugle
  • Like 2

agreed

Winter time work. members that join and stay committed. Not plugging in holes all summer long. Not screwing around getting the show on the field. Having a full corps.

Agree.

Bucs begin teaching their show at their open house in November.

Any number of other corps either haven't selected their show, are still choosing their design team and caption coordinators, or don't start teaching their show right away, or whatever.

To paraphrase Jim Costello: Championships are won during the winter/offseason, not necessarily during the summer. I learned that lesson the hard way with the Sunrisers. Going into the 1979 season, our horn line, in particular, did not prepare as well as we did going into 1977 and 1978. Result: 3rd place instead a championship.

Oz was incredible. This year while great, was not Oz.

You can't pick the home run show every year.

Even during the Bucs runs, some of the shows were not as incredible as others.

Except for an emergency, if you're still plugging holes in July, you're ####ed. I know MBI had holes at Lewisburg, but that wasn't for a lackof bodies, it was because they had bodies that couldn't make the trip.

Everyone says every year how prepared Bucs are when they hit Wildwood. Well now you know why.

I totally agree with this. They, and I think MBI, are very prepared to hit the field because of the off season work and commitment by the corps to be the best they can be. And for this reason, I think Cadets2 will be very competitive when they hit the ground.

Would be nice to see some other corps in DCA take it up a notch in the coming years.