What will happen in 2012?

skeptic

I totally agree with this. They, and I think MBI, are very prepared to hit the field because of the off season work and commitment by the corps to be the best they can be. And for this reason, I think Cadets2 will be very competitive when they hit the ground.

Would be nice to see some other corps in DCA take it up a notch in the coming years.

personal example...2001 Empire. finished learning the show the day of the first show. had a meltdown in the drum solo...got 10 pointed by Brigs. drumline finally full mid July. best I can remember horns still added in early August, guard too.

Fun show,crowd lovedit...but never ever got as cleanas it could have been.

96 Westshore...corps full in June. Show done before first show with some cleaning already done on the fly. Planned change to ending worked out in May, devoted the 4th of July to putting it in place.

Sure it was a fight with Cabs and Empire that year, but if we didn't have our #### together that winter, we're looking at 3rd, not a title. I'm sure Cabs and ES could say the same that year

This got passed over so just thought I would comment...Wow! That would add a new dimension to A class.

Star United Field Corps and a C2 Field Corps Head to Head.

I agree with some of the points being made here, and its true - every corps (especially those not at the top) could be more organized and plan better. In fact, i bet MBI's staff has a list of 100 things they would have done differently this year, given the chance.

That said, does anybody really think corps WANT to go into july with 5 holes in the hornline, or just a single hole in the drumline. I'm sure corps know before the season is over most of the time what staff spots are changing, but sometimes staff members quit late, or dont sign up until late. As far as having the show picked, empire is told just about every year after finals night what the show is for next season, and music is ready by november, if not right then. We recruit like mad, drag our friends out, bring people from as far as california, ohio, maryland, quebec, and even europe some years. We perform at 'winter shows' which act as fundraisers for local band programs, and in return we get access to the facilities, and usually pick up a few kids.

So - like i said, you can always plan better, and we aren't even really talking about show design here...just offseason planning and recruiting. I just get annoyed sometimes when i get the impression that the other corps just stand pat - fact is, a lot of them have to work WAY harder than the top group or 2, because they dont have people banging down their door to get in all winter...

As far as I know they had holes in the middle of August. In fact, prelims might have been the first uniformed run for 1-2 of the members.

I agree with some of the points being made here, and its true - every corps (especially those not at the top) could be more organized and plan better. In fact, i bet MBI's staff has a list of 100 things they would have done differently this year, given the chance.

That said, does anybody really think corps WANT to go into july with 5 holes in the hornline, or just a single hole in the drumline. I'm sure corps know before the season is over most of the time what staff spots are changing, but sometimes staff members quit late, or dont sign up until late. As far as having the show picked, empire is told just about every year after finals night what the show is for next season, and music is ready by november, if not right then. We recruit like mad, drag our friends out, bring people from as far as california, ohio, maryland, quebec, and even europe some years. We perform at 'winter shows' which act as fundraisers for local band programs, and in return we get access to the facilities, and usually pick up a few kids.

So - like i said, you can always plan better, and we aren't even really talking about show design here...just offseason planning and recruiting. I just get annoyed sometimes when i get the impression that the other corps just stand pat - fact is, a lot of them have to work WAY harder than the top group or 2, because they dont have people banging down their door to get in all winter...

if people arent banging on the door, you have to go bang on their doors.

I know at 2 local band championships, you see up to 4 corps having tables to recruit.

when Westshore hit rock bottom after 94, we were out every weekend at band shows, contacting alumni, whatever it took.

I know at 2 local band championships, you see up to 4 corps having tables to recruit.

when Westshore hit rock bottom after 94, we were out every weekend at band shows, contacting alumni, whatever it took.

this I would agree with......you have to market yourself, especially to younger member these days. If youre missing something GO GET IT!!!!!!If there are no means to do this then.. :whistle:

While i agree with you, sometimes the doors you bang on don't bring exactly what you desire or need, as you know there's more to it than just filling spots.