Lee Beddis hired as Madison Scouts Director of Percussion

I would have a problem with a former Crown member potentially taking a spot away from a current Scouts marching member. It's not all about the scores you know.

Well, I guess everybody will have to earn their spot then, wont they.

We'll see how you feel if the Scouts are scoring better in percussion next year. My guess is you wont be complaining.

• Like 6

well if the talent level is the same then the scout member should get the spot...if not ...well thats life

Agreed. I am sure the remaining members of the Scouts will enjoy having a better group as a result. Why would you not want to improve your team? Hey, Kobe Bryant is a free agent and wants to come to your team, but you don't want him to take Johnny Nojumper's spot because he is already on the team?!?!?!?! :satisfied:

• Like 7

Agreed. I am sure the remaining members of the Scouts will enjoy having a better group as a result. Why would you not want to improve your team? Hey, Kobe Bryant is a free agent and wants to come to your team, but you don't want him to take Johnny Nojumper's spot because he is already on the team?!?!?!?! :satisfied:

Nice. Johnny NoJumper.

Given the recent state of Madison percussion (not top twelve this year) you'd think some people would be excited about an influx of top staff and talent.

• Like 2

Nice. Johnny NoJumper.

Given the recent state of Madison percussion (not top twelve this year) you'd think some people would be excited about an influx of top staff and talent.

Don't worry my man, there are many who are excited right now.

Edited by thirdcoast
  • Like 2

Don't worry my man, there are many who are excited right now.

Come on guys - I would obviously like to see their drumline improve - just not at the expense of current members. There's something to be said about consistency as well. The longer the current members play together the better they'll be. Bring on a better drum staff and it gets even better. I know that's not how it will work. Calm down Tuba Boy....

• Like 3

Come on guys - I would obviously like to see their drumline improve - just not at the expense of current members. There's something to be said about consistency as well. The longer the current members play together the better they'll be. Bring on a better drum staff and it gets even better. I know that's not how it will work. Calm down Tuba Boy....

The drum staff was great in 2011, I met some great people and will have memories from the season forever. The whole group should be proud of the product they put on the field. Its great to see The MADISON SCOUTS working this off season and keeping the excitement building for the 2012 season. I really like the mp3 download you all gave out on your facebook page, classic!

Thank you to all that made the 2011 season a great success.

GO MADISON SCOUTS!

• Like 1

well if the talent level is the same then the scout member should get the spot...if not ...well thats life

Not in my book but I’m so old that I remember when corps-hopping was a rarity…non-existent actually compared with today. Hmmm, why could that be?

Here’s my theory; I think that loyalty is a two-way street and that if the corps is willing to cut a vet loose the moment a hot new prospect shows up then it stands to reason that disloyalty will be reciprocated when an opportunity to “upgrade” presents itself to the vet. The case could even be made that as an alumn I might just consider my loyalty fickle enough to say “Heck, the Cavies are five or six placements higher than Madison so that’s where I’ll be sending my donations from now on.” Now I’d never do that but that’s precisely because I bought into the whole “brotherhood” deal and as I see it you just don’t cut your brother from the line because someone with faster hands shows up from Crown now do you?

• Like 1

Not in my book but I’m so old that I remember when corps-hopping was a rarity…non-existent actually compared with today. Hmmm, why could that be?

Here’s my theory; I think that loyalty is a two-way street and that if the corps is willing to cut a vet loose the moment a hot new prospect shows up then it stands to reason that disloyalty will be reciprocated when an opportunity to “upgrade” presents itself to the vet. The case could even be made that as an alumn I might just consider my loyalty fickle enough to say “Heck, the Cavies are five or six placements higher than Madison so that’s where I’ll be sending my donations from now on.” Now I’d never do that but that’s precisely because I bought into the whole “brotherhood” deal and as I see it you just don’t cut your brother from the line because someone with faster hands shows up from Crown now do you?

Corps hopping was less common because of geographic restrictions no longer present in today's drum corps climate. If corps recruited nationally and members had relatively easy access to camps several states away, there would've been just as much corps hopping BITD.

Corps hopping was less common because of geographic restrictions no longer present in today's drum corps climate. If corps recruited nationally and members had relatively easy access to camps several states away, there would've been just as much corps hopping BITD.

Funny, I knew that was going to be the instant response and yes I'll grant that your point has merit. That being said, I moved from NH to march Madison with the 27th Lancers right in my own backyard. Loyalty matters and if the very bedrock principle that binds your corps together is "brotherhood" and "Once a Scout, Always a Scout" then the idea of importing talent at the expense of current members is hypocrisy defined.

• Like 1

We are old,but we still look good! haha!