Beddis Replacement?

One poster this summer said toward the end of the season something like, "the Dream Team is gonna fly in this weekend and spend THE WHOLE WEEKEND with the corps, and you'll see a big difference...." Seriously? Where the heck were these big names all summer? (And this applies to MANY corps).

I thought it was a whole week?...lol...or the other posters comment "Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear"...NOPE...did not happen.

I don't know whether alot of people here in DCPdom consider BAC's caption heads "big names" or not, but I'll tell you one thing.....those folks were actually on the road with the corps almost the entire summer. In a couple cases, it was the whole summer less about a week off. The corps improved steadily from June through August, and I've never seen member loyalty as high as it is right now. Coincidence?

I agree...I think this is what really makes the difference as well...

So, Mike McIntosh would leave The Cavaliers, who just won drums to go to Crown? Yeah I don't think so.

As someone else posted earlier, it will end up being Hannum who takes over.

Not saying he would, just throwing some thoughts out there for conversation. Also, Rennick left PR after they won drums (in which he was the caption head) and went to SCV.

Why is a "big name" necessary? Does having a "big name" on board immediatley equate to success? I guess I don't understand the penchant for needing a big name to be top tier contenders. A "big name" doesn't guarantee success. A "lesser name" can have a substantial amount of talent, just not the resume' yet. Who on Crown's staff is available to take the reins? Maybe there is a hidden gem in the organization already. I'm just saying that today's "big names" weren't always big names.

Adding to this thought, I think Mr. Beddis had peaked at Crown. I don't think, whether it was his instruction or writing (I don't know which one, maybe both), that he would get them to the next level of execution needed to win. But, I do believe he will definitely raise the bar at Madison.

Been a long time since we've been graced by Ralph Hardimon's writing.

Funny, I thought he wrote for BK this summer.

Garry in Vegas

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, Thom Hannum is the new caption head. Still, the overall percussion isn't dependent upon one caption head. A lot of it goes into the writing of the parts (Andrew Markworth is an astounding pit arranger) and, more importantly, the actual skill of the members. In the front ensemble, there were literally no age-outs, and after Rach Star, I can guarantee most of them will want to come back for another season. That will be a very experienced, very unified front ensemble. My bets are that Crown's pit will be the best pit of 2012. The drum line is more what will be affected by the change from Lee Beddis to Thom Hannum. We'll just have to wait and see if "big name" changes will affect Crown's upcoming battery line.

• Like 1