Any thoughts on having an Alumni Association?

NYSkyliner

Thanks for the constructive comments Jeff. As for me notifying you concerning any future meetings of the Alumni meetings that may be called in the future I would have no idea when they would be. If I should find that information out I'll ask that Westshore be notified and they can send whoever they wish to represent them/you. Actually I only was at the first two meetings to represent Steel City as per Dennis Graham's (then Director of Steel City) request and to gather information for (not represent) Westshore at the request of Bill Toomey and gather information for (not represent) Erie Thunderbirds at the request of Gary Matczak. I was not at this last meeting a few months ago.

Can you expound on any thoughts you may have as to the purpose of an Alumni Organization, first as it relates to one specific region, and second, on how you would set up an umbrella organization to generally oversee all of the Regional Alumni Organizations?

P.S: I knew you could do this appropriately.

Well....

since my opinion is welcomed...

My guess would be that it could be a sanctioning body to organize shows for alumni corps. While the Alumni corps audience is generally older, they may be able to assist in helping set up some shows beyond the one or two summer shows there are and the usual spring concerts. Maybe encourage the growth of alumni corps across the nation since they seem to be so predominantly in the East.

I wouldn't really have them delve into making any kinds of rules for what should/shouldn't happen on the field. Some corps don't want to do a lot of drill. Some corps do. So no need to regulate that. Same with instrumentation: a few of the newer faces may have a pit, some may not. Basically if you can play it, and it's considered legal in drum corps, it's legal here.

creating partnership agreements with DCA and DCI would be great, as it can lead to exposure across the country, and get some units invited to shows they normally be shut out of. Face it, in these times with numbers not really growing, any exposure for any type of drum corps is a good thing

Well....

since my opinion is welcomed...

Your constructive comments are always welcome Jeff.

My guess would be that it could be a sanctioning body to organize shows for alumni corps. While the Alumni corps audience is generally older, they may be able to assist in helping set up some shows beyond the one or two summer shows there are and the usual spring concerts. Maybe encourage the growth of alumni corps across the nation since they seem to be so predominantly in the East.

This seems to be the point that Steve Anderman was driving at. As for the number of stage concerts here in the east the spring series seems to be the Dixie Stinger now being handled by Swing House and the new Lancers show. The summer season sees the Bridgemen's TOS. And in the fall it's Reilly Raider's Shamrock Festival, Brooklyn United's show and the Archie's Brass Reunion which is coming up in a couple of weeks. The Brooklyn United show is FREE as will be this year's Brass Reunion. I'm in full support of what Larry Hershman said 3 years ago when he was recognized with the PaDCHOF's Meritorious Service Award," Please get out and support the activity by your attendance at these shows."

I wouldn't really have them delve into making any kinds of rules for what should/shouldn't happen on the field. Some corps don't want to do a lot of drill. Some corps do. So no need to regulate that. Same with instrumentation: a few of the newer faces may have a pit, some may not. Basically if you can play it, and it's considered legal in drum corps, it's legal here.

I think that may involve by-laws and I'm really no fan of by-laws. Some people think that by-laws are written in stone. I think of by-laws as guidelines that definitely need to be very flexible. Sometimes snap decisions need to be made that don't require a meeting of the board and 2 weeks to think about it then 2 weeks later to be voted on by the board. Common sense needs to hold sway over by-laws.

creating partnership agreements with DCA and DCI would be great, as it can lead to exposure across the country, and get some units invited to shows they normally be shut out of. Face it, in these times with numbers not really growing, any exposure for any type of drum corps is a good thing

I agree but I also think that with the Alumni Spectacular, with a lot of the Alumni Corps that never had an affiliation with DCA, rather then those Corps that did have an affiliation get preferential treatment as to when they perform, go back to the system of drawing numbers out of a hat to determine who performs when.

Again thanks for the constructive comments.

Edited by NYSkyliner

Your constructive comments are always welcome Jeff.

I think that may involve by-laws and I'm really no fan of by-laws. Some people think that by-laws are written in stone. I think of by-laws as guidelines that definitely need to be very flexible. Sometimes snap decisions need to be made that don't require a meeting of the board and 2 weeks to think about it then 2 weeks later to be voted on by the board. Common sense needs to hold sway over by-laws.

I agree but I also think that with the Alumni Spectacular, with a lot of the Alumni Corps that never had an affiliation with DCA, rather then those Corps that did have an affiliation get preferential treatment as to when they perform, go back to the system of drawing numbers out of a hat to determine who performs when.

Again thanks for the constructive comments.

when it comes to the affiliation with DCA, or partnership as the term may be these days, a partnership does not mean whatever association is created can dictate terms to DCA on who comes and who doesn't. DCA is the show host, and like any show hosts, they can invite who they choose.

as for bylaws...bylaws set who the organization is run in terms of business. Rules are different and that is where things like instrumentation etc is covered. There is a huge difference

• Like 1

Anything that brings drum corps people together around their drum corps history is a good think, IMO. An alumni association and an alumni corps, however, are not one and the same and shouldn't be construed that way. No disrespect at all intended to alumni corps. Just a different purpose.

For example: the Cabs are great. Cabs Alumni corps is great. There are probably hundreds of people out there who've had a great experience being in the Cabs who, for whatever reason - time, geography, money, desire, etc. - have no interest in being in Cabs Alumni corps. If all the Cabs had to offer its alumni is the opportunity to be in an alumni corps, then they're missing out on getting all these Cabs together for fun, fellowship, all that stuff. If they can get people together because of their status as Cabs, completely separate from marching, playing and so forth, then their bonds as Cabs get deeper - and as a result both the Cabs and Cabs Alumni benefit - because more people are connected to the family. So, IMO a bunch of Cabs getting together in an organized event going to a Yankees or Mets game, as Cabs, is just as valuable as them getting together and breaking out their horns and drums.

Before anyone gets upset, I have no idea what the Cabs do or don't do in this regard - I was just using them as an example because they're an obvious example of a great competing corps and great alumni corps.

I think "corpsreps" could be a starting point to form a list of all of the Alumni corps that are presently in existence

These are just some of my thoughts. All constructive contributions will be entertained.

I've identified about fifty alumni corps. Links on my website: www.alumnidrumcorps.com

Now back to the business at hand. There have been some very constructive suggestions offered. I'll put in phone calls to some of the more prominent people in various areas mentioned in some of the other posts. There will be NO Alumni corps left out of this, ALL Alumni Corps are welcome. I just think that in order to keep it manageable breaking it down into regions is the way to go. Gary Matczak had some really good thoughts on this and I'd welcome more of his input. Steve Anderman also seemed to be right on track with his thoughts of regionalization. Perhaps he can expound on his thoughts regarding that issue. I'll contact Frank Neill for his input as to the how, what and wherefores.

Again, anyone with constructive thoughts and ideas are most definitely welcome to contribute to this thread. Again please note that the word constructive is in bold and underlined for a reason. There are other discussion threads that are open to general gossip. Please let's keep this one on topic.

Thanks,

Yes-Keep on point of thread!

Yes. I agree that some kind of group would be GOOD for ALL "Alumni Corps" or "Alumni Type Corps".

I also think that maybe we could include the more independent "Parade" and "Exhibition" Corps.

Perhaps at least a loose Org. that could, keep a place for Official Contact points to those groups. Maybe a place that can show Schedule's of those.

Maybe listings of shows and such, and who will be in them.

A web site would be nice. (Problem here is cost and someone to run it,)

Edited by 2B or not 2B
  • Like 1

Yes. I agree that some kind of group would be GOOD for ALL "Alumni Corps" or "Alumni Type Corps".

I also think that maybe we could include the more independent "Parade" and "Exhibition" Corps.

Perhaps at least a loose Org. that could, keep a place for Official Contact points to those groups. Maybe a place that can show Schedule's of those.

yep,.............good stuff!

• Like 1

Okay, Mike, I'll be constructive. Rather than our trying to put together a listing of all alumni corps' schedules, why don't we just prevail upon DCA to include the exhibition corps as a part of the DCA calendar. After all, they're in contact with the sponsor; it shouldn't be too difficult for them to find out who the exhibitions are.

I remember that this had been requested in the past, but the response was that the contest sponsor is responsible for the exhibitions. And so??? Is it impossible to put another line or two into the linup of a given show?

Okay, Mike, I'll be constructive. Rather than our trying to put together a listing of all alumni corps' schedules, why don't we just prevail upon DCA to include the exhibition corps as a part of the DCA calendar. After all, they're in contact with the sponsor; it shouldn't be too difficult for them to find out who the exhibitions are.

I remember that this had been requested in the past, but the response was that the contest sponsor is responsible for the exhibitions. And so??? Is it impossible to put another line or two into the linup of a given show?

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy: