Audition Help

I'm starting this topic because this seems to be the best place to come for help on audition questions. I'll cut right to the chase.

I am a woodwind player and a Music Ed major who does not have time to learn Brass. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Drum Corps and I keep going back and forth about finding some possible way to march. I don't have any restrictions on where I go, Open or World, and I have no monetary issues.

I was thinking that maybe there is some possibility that I could be a conductor.

I have experience in high school, being in a leadership position for 3 years, including being Drum Major my senior year. Currently I am a Sophomore in college and if I can find a way, I would have 2012 and 2013 to march.

I know that most corps will chose drum majors from within, but I hope there's a chance that I could get in from the outside.

I wouldn't mind doing Open class my first year, but I would like to age out WC if possible.

All I ask from you all is a little help and guidance from someone who has experience in this situation or someone who knows the ins and outs of how conducting auditions go. If anyone thinks this is possible for me, please let me know, I just need reassurance that what I am doing is even possible before I start working hard on training for a conducting audition. Any little bit of knowledge or information will be helpful.

Here's to hoping! :smile:

To answer one question up front, you'd probably want to contact the corps you're considering to see if they have a previous membership requirement. The brass caption is probably your best bet.

I know it's happened before, on many occasions, all the way back to the 70's. Give it a shot!

Garry in Vegas

I would say the brass caption is your best bet as well. After all, you're a music ed major right? How are you going to teach it if you don't learn how to do it? I completely understand not having a lot of time (you're a music major, after all), but it really comes down to how bad you want to do it. My concern with your talking about time is this: if you don't have time to learn to play an instrument that I'm sure you have the talent to pick up quickly, do you really have time to develop the conducting and score study skills necessary to be an effective conductor? Just a thought, not trying to be snarky or rude.

I'm not sure I would respect a rookie conductor. Conductors/drum majors are typically a leadership role, and I personally would have difficulty following a rookie in that situation, especially if they were the slightest bit disorganized. Not saying you can't do it, just saying that's how I would feel.

With regard to membership requirements, I know that the corps I've been involved with do not accept rookie conductors/DMs. I know a few corps do, but I would assume the majority don't. I know we've hashed out that particular discussion before here, so maybe you can dig it up.

Just a few thoughts from a saxophone player who didn't have time to march mellophone but did it anyway and had a great time.

EDIT: kudos to you for not caring where you march. I think that's awesome.

Edited by BroncoTrooper

From what I understand, Boston, Phantom, and BD all allow "rookies" to be selected as drum major. As for Open Class, I'm not sure, but if you repost your topic in the Open class forum, I'm sure somebody there will be able to answer your question as well.

• Like 1

You definitely have enough time to learn brass. That's your best bet, and it really isn't as difficult as it feels.

From what I understand, Boston, Phantom, and BD all allow "rookies" to be selected as drum major. As for Open Class, I'm not sure, but if you repost your topic in the Open class forum, I'm sure somebody there will be able to answer your question as well.

Regiment had a rook-out DM one year when my lovely bride was in the guard. 83 maybe?

Garry in Vegas

In addition to those groups, The Academy and Pacific Crest are two world class corps that have open drum major auditions as well.

• Like 1

I'm starting this topic because this seems to be the best place to come for help on audition questions. I'll cut right to the chase.

I am a woodwind player and a Music Ed major who does not have time to learn Brass. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Drum Corps and I keep going back and forth about finding some possible way to march. I don't have any restrictions on where I go, Open or World, and I have no monetary issues.

I was thinking that maybe there is some possibility that I could be a conductor.

I have experience in high school, being in a leadership position for 3 years, including being Drum Major my senior year. Currently I am a Sophomore in college and if I can find a way, I would have 2012 and 2013 to march.

I know that most corps will chose drum majors from within, but I hope there's a chance that I could get in from the outside.

I wouldn't mind doing Open class my first year, but I would like to age out WC if possible.

All I ask from you all is a little help and guidance from someone who has experience in this situation or someone who knows the ins and outs of how conducting auditions go. If anyone thinks this is possible for me, please let me know, I just need reassurance that what I am doing is even possible before I start working hard on training for a conducting audition. Any little bit of knowledge or information will be helpful.

Here's to hoping! :smile:

As others have said, I would suggest you explore playing brass as an avenue for marching drum corps. If you are a Music Ed major you surely have taken brass methods and at least will be familiar with the basics of any give brass ambature, tone production, fingerings, etc. I think you would be surprised how many corps (including World Class) will take inexperienced brass players with a great attitude, willingness to learn & work hard.

While there are many corps who will audition & accept rookie conductors, I believe the majority of those 'rookie' conductors are generally coming from other corps experience. It's not impossible to make a corps as a complete drum corps rookie, but it's is very very rare. For the rookie in the more common positions in a corps (battery, front ensemble, horn line, guard), there is always the unknown factor of how a total drum corps rookie will deal with the pressures of expectations in the winter/spring months, plus how they deal with all-days and tour. A lot of people crack under that stress and quit. It would be catastrophic for a conductor/DM to crack under the stress and bail on the corps after chosen, and I think that's a risk most corps won't mess with. I know someone who was a rook-out DM at a Top 3 corps, but he marched one year as a baritone (he was actually a sax player who jumped in to fill a hole w/a corps mid-tour and learned to play baritone) and three years as DM for a semifinalist corps before going to the Top 3 corps. And even then the Top 3 administration/staff was hesitant to take him w/out the person's former corps director giving him the utmost recommendation.

Regardless, good luck. I would recommend you start with all of the corps in your immediate area (Open Class and World Class) that you are willing to travel to. Contact their corps directors and inquire about their conducting audition requirements.

I hope you find a home this year!