Cost of a staff

7567BC

I've hear of drill writers getting paid anywhere from 3k-30k (i've heard from members on a certain corps staff that they consistantly pay their writer 30k a season). I also know that some of the top notch drill writers such as Gaines, have about 10-12 schools each paying them 10k for their shows drill. I've been picking up drill writing ever since I heard this.

As for visual/music tech and caption staffs, they've told me their overall pay for the summer can sometimes, depending on time spent during the season, vary from $0.50 a day to $100.00 a day. But that's only the two corps I marched at. Don't know what it's like anywhere else. But the general consensus/ among staffs is they get paid more for one month of marching band then they do an entire season of drum corps.

I can tell you for certain, the 1980 27th Lancers staff did NOT get paid. Zingali, Wedge and Poole were paid something pathetic as the creators, but the rest of the staff, were not paid by the corps. We did do a band camp at Holy Cross in Worcester and we got about $125 each for that.

We were a very proud - all alumni staff - competing against staffs that were being paid on a regular basis. No regrets whatsoever !

• Like 2

I can tell you for certain, the 1980 27th Lancers staff did NOT get paid. Zingali, Wedge and Poole were paid something pathetic as the creators, but the rest of the staff, were not paid by the corps. We did do a band camp at Holy Cross in Worcester and we got about $125 each for that.

We were a very proud - all alumni staff - competing against staffs that were being paid on a regular basis. No regrets whatsoever !

I'm right with you LL. I taught and for 14 years and it was all volunteer. I knew of no one else on staff being paid. Not even gas money. And I loved every minute of it (well almost every minute of it - cold mac & cheese wasn't so great on the road). I only got money for teaching colleg band.

• Like 1

Staff at INT sometimes get to take home soda, snacks, hot dogs, non perishables, etc. It helps if they have a decent size ice cooler when they go to work there.

• Like 2

Personally I have got over 40 grand for a band and winter season and many get a few thousand....

There are many band directors that don't make that much.....or were you paid in candy bars ? :shutup:

• Like 1

There are many band directors that don't make that much.....or were you paid in candy bars ? :shutup:

just tellin ya how it is.......or tellin the poster who asked

what also happens is the big name corps or HS doesnt pay alot BUT many more jobs come out of the exposure , who do PAY !!!!!!

Now there are a few corps out there that pay BIG BIG dollars..especially the one who have retained certain people for ANY MANY YEARS

Just all depends on several things.....person, experience, availabilty, comittment, job description, corps or school, and the list goes on. Just like most jobs.....and youre right some band directors dont get that.

I even know of a school that gave its writer a 25 grand bonus for success in BOA....... :smile:

Edited by GUARDLING

just tellin ya how it is.......or tellin the poster who asked

what also happens is the big name corps or HS doesnt pay alot BUT many more jobs come out of the exposure , who do PAY !!!!!!

Now there are a few corps out there that pay BIG BIG dollars..especially the one who have reatined certain people for ANY MANY YEARS

Just all depends on several things.....person, experience, availabilty, comittment, job description, corps or school, and the list goes on. Just like most jobs.....and youre right some band directors dont get that.

I even know of a school that gave its writer a 25 grand bonus for success in BOA....... :smile:

I've argued with people for a long time thats it's not so much what the corps pays but what jobs you pick up BECAUSE of being WITH the corps or just being on staff at a major corps. Funny how some people don't understand that.

I'm old school and still think it's for the kids but then gripe about how little I'm paid for what I do. When I was in my prime of drill writing ( late 70's-80's) I'd have other band directors ask me to write their drills because mine were really good. My biggest problem with that was ( in MY mind ) how can I write something that I don't have access to everyday to clean and nurture it along ? Stupid me :doh: And I still write drill on charts with a light board :ph34r:

I've argued with people for a long time thats it's not so much what the corps pays but what jobs you pick up BECAUSE of being WITH the corps or just being on staff at a major corps. Funny how some people don't understand that.

I'm old school and still think it's for the kids but then gripe about how little I'm paid for what I do. When I was in my prime of drill writing ( late 70's-80's) I'd have other band directors ask me to write their drills because mine were really good. My biggest problem with that was ( in MY mind ) how can I write something that I don't have access to everyday to clean and nurture it along ? Stupid me :doh: And I still write drill on charts with a light board :ph34r:

unfortunately or however someone wants to look at it many many schools and some corps are so willing to take the "NAME" or believe that because so and so had success with a person they will which is the furthest thing from the truth.

Theres alot of money to be made in the activity and many make a living off it.....Its a different world now although I have done this many many years and have been fortunate enough to make some good money in the process. BUT the flip side is also there are a few drill writers out there that just recycle and recycle at others expense and they all start to look alike.

Edited by GUARDLING

Not for nothing but the question was to get an understanding of CORPS compensation not bands. HS bands Band Directors are paid by their school districts are they not? Band staff members who are not direct employees of a HS school district might be compensated through funds raised by booster clubs. A College band might be similarly set up. These are situations where money exists through school funding augmented by boosters. Corps on the other hand being independant self supporting organizations have a very different funding structure that vary widely between organizations, depending on available fund raising avenues such as bingo.

I am curious about compensation for program director/coordinator, caption heads, writers,tech's. Jeez there are so many people involved in intructional staffs now. It just got me wondering because of how limited or stretched corps budgets are particulalry for the upper level corps (through 17th place say) how much of their budgets go to staff compensation? Plus many corps are surviving financially year to year with no firm revenue to budget for.

Not for nothing but the question was to get an understanding of CORPS compensation not bands. HS bands Band Directors are paid by their school districts are they not? Band staff members who are not direct employees of a HS school district might be compensated through funds raised by booster clubs. A College band might be similarly set up. These are situations where money exists through school funding augmented by boosters. Corps on the other hand being independant self supporting organizations have a very different funding structure that vary widely between organizations, depending on available fund raising avenues such as bingo.

I am curious about compensation for program director/coordinator, caption heads, writers,tech's. Jeez there are so many people involved in intructional staffs now. It just got me wondering because of how limited or stretched corps budgets are particulalry for the upper level corps (through 17th place say) how much of their budgets go to staff compensation? Plus many corps are surviving financially year to year with no firm revenue to budget for.