Cost of a staff

7567BC

Not for nothing but the question was to get an understanding of CORPS compensation not bands. HS bands Band Directors are paid by their school districts are they not? Band staff members who are not direct employees of a HS school district might be compensated through funds raised by booster clubs. A College band might be similarly set up. These are situations where money exists through school funding augmented by boosters. Corps on the other hand being independant self supporting organizations have a very different funding structure that vary widely between organizations, depending on available fund raising avenues such as bingo.

I am curious about compensation for program director/coordinator, caption heads, writers,tech's. Jeez there are so many people involved in intructional staffs now. It just got me wondering because of how limited or stretched corps budgets are particulalry for the upper level corps (through 17th place say) how much of their budgets go to staff compensation? Plus many corps are surviving financially year to year with no firm revenue to budget for.

Just an FYI - the local HS band where daughter #2 marched (well sort of - she was in pit. 10+ years of piano lessons..) had booster club that was able to tap into local bingo hall - they had literally $500K in the bank. Band traveled like a corps - rental buses, 2 equipment trucks, matched brass etc.

I don't know how much they paid for drill, instructors etc, but you could tell they were doing a lot of things right...at final football game after halftime drums and guard huard were in corner of stadium working fundamentals

A couple of years ago, I was the assistant coach for my son's t-ball team. At season's end and to my surprise, the parents chipped in to give me a $75 gift card for my trouble.

My point is all this back-in-the-day-we-did-it-for-the-love-of-the-art dismay doesn't mean diddly. We compensate teachers and coaches today at all levels and in all kinds of ways. Some are overpaid. Many are underpaid. Now we pay.

Every year I dish out hundreds of dollars chipping in or buying outright gift cards for school teachers, religious school instructors, dance teachers, baseball coaches, football coaches, camp counselors and probably dozens more my wife is concealing from me. All of it is in addition to their direct compensation.

So we pay for the instructors and designers of drum corps too. And we pay more for the ones who contribute the most. Business as usual in the U.S. today.

HH

• Like 1

A couple of years ago, I was the assistant coach for my son's t-ball team. At season's end and to my surprise, the parents chipped in to give me a $75 gift card for my trouble.

My point is all this back-in-the-day-we-did-it-for-the-love-of-the-art dismay doesn't mean diddly. We compensate teachers and coaches today at all levels and in all kinds of ways. Some are overpaid. Many are underpaid. Now we pay.

Every year I dish out hundreds of dollars chipping in or buying outright gift cards for school teachers, religious school instructors, dance teachers, baseball coaches, football coaches, camp counselors and probably dozens more my wife is concealing from me. All of it is in addition to their direct compensation.

So we pay for the instructors and designers of drum corps too. And we pay more for the ones who contribute the most. Business as usual in the U.S. today.

HH

Excellent point. I am sure, as role models for today's youth, they are including the value of these cards as part of their 'Wages, Tips, and Other Compensation' line on their income tax.

HH

[/quote

My point is all this back-in-the-day-we-did-it-for-the-love-of-the-art dismay doesn't mean diddly: Not sure how this relates to my question. No one is making this a poiont. It was an aside. I understand instructors are paid as most of us on DCP do. I was asking what the actual compenasation from the organizations (drums corps organizations no HS or college) might be. I don't believe Blue Devils Cavies, PR, BAC, Madison, Cadets, etc., etc. are payin f their staffs with gift cards. I may be wrong but I thought BD was paid their staff (maybe not "consultants" or seasonal tech's) much like people would be paid in a traditional job with weekly checks with tax deductions and 401K's.

BTW I am sure all who receive your gift cards are very appreciateive. I do the same for my kids coaches and teachers.

My point is all this back-in-the-day-we-did-it-for-the-love-of-the-art dismay doesn't mean diddly: Not sure how this relates to my question. No one is making this a poiont...

No, I think lots of folks were starting down the road of complaining about compensation for today's drum corps instructors. That's why I tried to put a little perspective on things.

As for the OP, I'm cool. No problem discussing what we're paying instructors today.

HH

The Book says a worker is worth his wage.

I for one am thankful that these folks who provide yeoman service to teach kids and change their lives are getting a little recognition, albeit delayed, for what they bring to the table. Obviously this is a big part of the improvement of performance level in drum corps, because my read is that the kids really havent changed a whole lot.

• Like 1