Cadets 2 Announcement

jkmummer

Interesting.

Just to extend that, which DCI corps do you think *could* have won DCA this year?

Or, if you'd rather spin it around, what place do you think MBI and Bucs would have received at DCI Championships this year?

I think MBI or Bucs would have Hit the Wall at Crossmen, thats where the gap in semifinals widen IMO..

• Like 1

I would have to say that I think BDB could have won DCA, but I do not think Vanguard Cadets could have. With that being said, those two corps visual numbers would have had a huge margin on them, but does anyone think either of those colorguards could beat the Hurcs or hornlines could beat MBI? I don't really think so. GE is subjective, so I don't know how that would have placed.

apples to oranges. the rehearsal time those two corps have compared to a DCA corps, even with an Open Class schedule, makes any comparisons moot.

I agree to disagree with this point.. I think Bucs and MBI would have won DCI open Class this year.. and even if they didnt the difference in rehearsal schedule was my major point. Take Blue Devils B and give them only weekends to rehearse and thier product would not be on the Level of Bucs or MBI.. just my opinion

Nothing like having your cake and eating it too !

apples to oranges. the rehearsal time those two corps have compared to a DCA corps, even with an Open Class schedule, makes any comparisons moot.

Jeffs right it is like comparing apples and oranges. Rehearsal time is a factor.

I did a informal comparison years ago based on DCI Div 2 VS DCA VS HS band programs rehearsal times.

I cannot remember the DCI Div 2 hours to save my life but The average HS marching bands rehearsal times and The average DCA open class rehearsal schedule was around 225 hours per season give or take +/- 25 hours.

The DCI div 2 rehearsal schedule was MUCH higher in terms of rehearsal hours.

Another wrinkle you have to consider is the catch up time. That is the amount of time it takes to catch the group up.. get the group re focused or review what you covered 2 weeks ago. 2 weeks does not seem like a long break but in reality a lot of information is lost and or not retained in those two weeks causing staff to cover those areas again. Furthermore in DCA most corps are always losing people and adding people right into championship weekends. Some corps its just some and others the number is much higher. Those people have to be brought into the drill and that requires some review time that eats into the rehearsal schedule.

Ask just about anyone that has been on staff and they will probably tell you that retention is easier when you have a focused group sustained over a extended period of time. Chopping it up in weekend blocks makes the job that much harder for staff to reach the end goal. Something that the staff at Cadets2 that do not have DCA exposure will no doubt have to learn to adjust too.

Edited by camel lips

you cant even compare one DCA corps to another...do you not think a corps like Bucs rehearses different than well lets just say other corps......ahhhh I would certainly think so..................so corps to corps work ethic also plays a huge part.......that is where a corps like cadets 2 could and i repeat...COULD..have a huge advantage...given the work eithic and what is or is not acceptable within ones own group.

you cant even compare one DCA corps to another...do you not think a corps like Bucs rehearses different than well lets just say other corps......ahhhh I would certainly think so..................so corps to corps work ethic also plays a huge part.......that is where a corps like cadets 2 could and i repeat...COULD..have a huge advantage...given the work eithic and what is or is not acceptable within ones own group.

This is an interesting take, and to an extent I agree.

I've seen most of the top DCA corps rehearse over the last few years at one time or another, and I will say that from what I saw, Reading and Minnesota rehearse with more intensity, efficiency, and with a higher degree of member commitment than the other corps I saw.

That said, Cadets (World Class version) have a work harder for longer style of rehearsal (as opposed to, say, Blue Devils who work smarter, not harder). It's a valid way to do things if you have the time, as evidenced by ten DCI Championships. If they bring that approach to DCA, they will be dead in the water. It won't work in the under-the-gun time constraints DCA corps work under.

I really believe this was one of the major reasons Rich Hammond was brought in as C2's program coordinator. He, better than anyone else in DCA, understands how to get the most out of a corps in the least amount of time. When Rich and the rest of the C2 team all get on the same page, they will be a formidable foe. But I don't think that will happen over night. C2's key is to find the right niche between demand and achievement.

• Like 1

Nothing like having your cake and eating it too !

If it sounded like I was trying to have my cake and eat it too, thats not where I wanted to go. I FIRMlY believe that MBI and Bucs were both good enough to win Open Class this year. But I tried to get back to my main point, even the best possibly scenario for a Cadets feeder corps (BDB) would not be heads and shoulders better than DCA's top corps WITH the difference in rehearsal time. Cadets 2 is going to be comprised of raw yet talented kids who have no prior drum corps expierence rehearsing only on weekends. Thats not a recipe for the top spot in DCA.. especially the first year out.

This is an interesting take, and to an extent I agree.

I've seen most of the top DCA corps rehearse over the last few years at one time or another, and I will say that from what I saw, Reading and Minnesota rehearse with more intensity, efficiency, and with a higher degree of member commitment than the other corps I saw.

That said, Cadets (World Class version) have a work harder for longer style of rehearsal (as opposed to, say, Blue Devils who work smarter, not harder). It's a valid way to do things if you have the time, as evidenced by ten DCI Championships. If they bring that approach to DCA, they will be dead in the water. It won't work in the under-the-gun time constraints DCA corps work under.

I really believe this was one of the major reasons Rich Hammond was brought in as C2's program coordinator. He, better than anyone else in DCA, understands how to get the most out of a corps in the least amount of time. When Rich and the rest of the C2 team all get on the same page, they will be a formidable foe. But I don't think that will happen over night. C2's key is to find the right niche between demand and achievement.

just attendance alone and several things you can impose on someone younger will help their cause for sure

If it sounded like I was trying to have my cake and eat it too, thats not where I wanted to go. I FIRMlY believe that MBI and Bucs were both good enough to win Open Class this year. But I tried to get back to my main point, even the best possibly scenario for a Cadets feeder corps (BDB) would not be heads and shoulders better than DCA's top corps WITH the difference in rehearsal time. Cadets 2 is going to be comprised of raw yet talented kids who have no prior drum corps expierence rehearsing only on weekends. Thats not a recipe for the top spot in DCA.. especially the first year out.

what makes you think raw..so to speak kids will be auditioning there....they may not be cadet materiel..or they may be and just dont have money or cant tour..As with others I wouldnt assume anything but for sure look at a track record of demand and excellence...that wont change by no means...otherwise I know they wouldnt do this venture,